Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So having owned my S3 for just over a year, and fallen in love with its character, I got to wondering how I could make it even better? So I thought id start a thread that askes all your thoughts on what works best. This way I can choose the next addition...

Ill start by naming the 3 best additions to my speedy I have found so far;

1) Full Arrow 3 in 1 exhaust (oh that burble...)
2) oversized bars
3) Carbon Flyscreen

And yes, thats the sum total of the additions so far :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
On a slightly less serious note, I think that the one item that really changes the look of the bike is mirrors. I went for Triumph bar-end.

Then I also recommend Pazzo Levers (look and feel)
Clean up the number plate area - oh so many options
More carbon stuff

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Then I'd say GSXR 1000 front master cylinder + brake calipers are the best bang for buck, if yours did not come with the Brembos. Should be quite easy to find on eBay for a good price.

Suspension re-spring + tweaks by your local suspension shop.

44 tooth rear sprocket.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The first thing I do to all my bikes is fit protection first, Headlight Protectors, Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards, Tank Pad, Rear Hugger, Kneepads ( Snakeskins ). Then suspension set up, Then pipe and re map, Then any cosmetic details you want, Flyscreen, Bellypan, Fatbars, etc. You can transform the S3 into quite a respectable bike for around NZ5K.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Tuneboy, Rear hugger (protects that shock), Ohlins shock, rearsets, Sargent seat, frame sliders, Chain Reaction Pipes. Just a few.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've added a few accessories which are primarily cosmetic, but if I were to do anything serious, the very first thing I'd do is replace the rear shock with something aftermarket. A good pair of bar end mirrors and heated grips would be next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do your homework, most of the time you can get what you already own re valved both front and back for less than the cost of a new Ohlins rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not necessarily bike accessories but very essential for total street credibility, go to wheelie school and a set of ready scrubbed knee sliders :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride knee down all the time, stoppies, everything, but do you think I can wheelie without fear-poo coming out???? I dream of being able to wheelie!!!

ANYHOO, went for a quick spin today and lost the front twice (Michy 2CT's), I will be pulling my spenshion off very soon and sending the lot to Promecha in Melbourne.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cosmetics - nose cowl, belly pan, crash protectors, ano black rad and heel guards, numer plate tidy, KTM mirrors (look good and work!)

Weight saving/ performance - Renthal black bars, off wth pillion pegs, Mivv zorst., TORS tune. Scottoiler. Suspension adjust.

Usability - enlarged gear shift ( push bike handlebar grip on top of gaffer tape round original = less foot movement to change gear), extension to sidestand 'hook' so you can actually use the thing with bike boots on!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Usability - enlarged gear shift ( push bike handlebar grip on top of gaffer tape round original = less foot movement to change gear)
Wouldn't it be less foot movement if you adjust lever right next to boot? Don't really follow the logic on the "fatter lever = less movement".

Or are you constantly preloading lever with your foot?

extension to sidestand 'hook' so you can actually use the thing with bike boots on!
For the lazy: easy & clean way is to purchase 2009/2008 sidestand from BikeBandit. The newer bikes have a longer hook on the sidestand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HI - yes, understand what you mean, and I've tried adjusting to the outer limits - base of the problem is that there is a considerable ( well, respective,y compared to my 07 R1 ) amount of free play/slop in the trip gearchange, and yes, I've tightened everything - just use the fatter toe lever as it negates some of the play - I notice JL are now selling 'one piece' gearlever's in an attempt to eradicate this sloppiness - I'll have to give them a go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thinking about it - my problem is that the shaft between footrest and gearchange spigot is too short for me to adjust far enough downwards ( towards top of my boot ) - I find I have to move my right foot up more than is comfortable ( for me). I suppose I could just turn up a longer shaft, but as they're opposing threads I'd have to use a machine shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Damn! I've been riding it backwards! No wonder.

Well it would be the right foot if you were facing me..........

Fair cop, society's to blame.............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts