Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a s/h Feb 2006 955i Tiger. My g/f and I want to do some touring in Europe, and the Tiger seems to be the best of the present Triumph range to do this.

I have a question though. I understand that the last of the 2005/2006 955i Tigers had upgraded 1050 Engine crankcases and gearbox, as well as upgraded cylinder head.

Is this correct? What are the advantages of finding such a late model? Were they better than the earlier '05 955i models?

Hoping someone can give me some good advice

Dean

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You are correct that they put new c/cases on the '06 models. The '05s were the same engine as from 2001 onwards but had cast wheels, new forks & swing arm added.
What you do get with the '06 is (allegedly) a smoother gearbox.
I still reckon the best Tigers are 2001 to 2004. With proper spoked wheels and better steering geometry.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have an 05 Tiger and there is no difference in specification or performance with the 06.The new engine casings were purely for efficient production.They are great bikes.I bought mine to tour with my wife (novice pillion).We went to the Pyrenees and rode 2400 miles in 8 days.She was totally relaxed and comfortable,even on one day riding 600 miles (bit excessive but still ok).
I would recommend fitting the topbox for extra space and security for the pillion. The last of the 06 Tigers are being punted out by dealers for about £6300,and that is an absolute bargain for such a capable and well specified bike. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
FWIW I was out with mates for a ride to Bluebell BMW today. Swapped over to a KTM990 ADV (2up). I will hold my comments on the KTM for another thread but what really took me was the KTM owners comments when he got off my Tiger, Basically, he could not believe how sporty the Tiger felt on the road.

Having tried the GS twins, the KTM 950/990 (BIG difference BTW) I have fallen, once again, for my 06 Tiger. I bought this bike without a test ride because I already had a 93 Tiger and knew what to expect.

The 06 (05 MY onwards) has a revised and slightly sportier steering geometry with road-stiff forks too. Other changes are more subtle but noticeable in ownership - like smoother gearbox and improved cylinder head design.

I don't think I would be any less happy with an earlier spoked-wheel model. It's just that I'd need to stiffen it up a bit. You can do a lot to these bikes, especially in the suspension department, so don't let that put you off if you get the right deal. Tubeless tyres with the '06' model is a definate plus for me and may others.

Jon

·
Registered
254 Posts
Deanrider. You can get some cracking deals now on the last of the 06 models. There was a posting somewhere on here a few weeks back about the second hand prices of 06 models, and what you will pay for a new '06' one. I saw one at Fowlers in Bristol for £5.9K new, with a pair of 'nearly new' knocking around under £5.5K. Only one winner at those prices !

Out of interest I got mine from Performance Triumph at Cheltenham last August and they did me a really good deal against what I was riding at the time. (FJR). In fact a far better price than Foulups at the time ! :-D

[ This message was edited by: Trotts on 2007-02-18 11:48 ]

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Txs guys for the assistance. I think the 06 model is the right choice. The cases, heated grips & centre stand are a BIG plus for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts