Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the time of year where awards are presented for this and that. We could have something like that and vote for the ugliest or more useless bit of bling or accessory that sucks or it's overpriced.

My vote this year goes to the tank luggage rack I've just paid £75 for...:eek:

For sale at places like this in the US (note the considerable discount now offered!):

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/tank-top-rack.html

And this place in the UK where I bought mine:

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/jenks-bolts-stainless-steel-tank-rack-curved-fits-hinckley--meriden-bonneville-fuel-tanks-4064-p.asp

At first this seems like a good idea. A bit of tradition to put on our bikes for those of us that wish our bikes to look more like the original Meriden bikes.

Unfortunately the originals were screwed on to threaded posts welded to the tanks. These accessory ones come with four suction pads that look crap. Never mind, says I, I'll paint them to blend in with the tank colour, in my case jet black. This worked OK and the pads now look as if they're part of the tank surface.

Clean the tank, moisten the suction pads and press down firmly. Fantastic, they stick like the proverbial to a blanket...until a few hours later when they come off again.

Tried several times. No good. Forget about carrying anything of value on it, it'll just come off with the rack itself.

Nothing wrong with the quality, finish or workmanship as such, just the fixing method that doesn't work.

Here's an image of it with the suction pads as they come:

And this one with them painted to match my black tank:

Thread where this gem of an accessory was discussed (and I fell for it...) :

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/190315-triumph-tank-rack-for-bonnie-t100-efi.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hahaha! Yes, in the cold, hard light of day, it's hard to imagine four flimsy suction cups being able do stick to a tank for any length of time, let alone hold luggage.

To be fair, more than once I entertained thoughts of snagging one of these...and I never use paper maps anymore...

Oh well, thanks for being the canary in our mod mine Forchetto! :D

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
For some perverted reason, I have always thought those looked nice. I think the thing to do would be to get an extra tank, that was maybe scratched or dented or something, weld you some threaded posts to it in the proper location, have the tank painted and then install the damn thing like it was originally intended to be installed. Then it wouldn't look so stupid and might actually serve a purpose.

Now that I know where to find one I might actually do that.

I wonder if anyone makes a fake kick starter for the Bonnevilles? Now that would be a useless accessory. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ah yes the 'Forchetto Kick Start' now if you had managed to wire in the ignition switch into that then I bet it would of been a winner!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

I submit the "Rainbow Strobe" at $30.

I have to admit that I enjoyed the look for awhile, but was too worried that I'd get a ticket from a cop one day or that some oncoming driver would be hypnotized by the colors and drive right into me... :eek: It now hangs on a nail on my garage wall next to a Grateful Dead poster. :cool:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
By the fact that acessories are generally all pretty useless, i.e. the bracelets, necklaces and ear rings of the motorcycling world, it's hard to pick just one. I know that my clutch cover and little rubber boot at the end of the clutch cable serve no purpose whatsoever, for example. The stone guard I used to have on my headlight when the last thing I would do would be to risk a stone from a gravel road chipping my beautiful red/white paint reeked of phonyness and uselessness.

If I had to give a vote for the most useless articles on any of these bikes it would have to be the number plates offered for Scramblers. This is in no way suggesting disrespect for those who have them. They've just never made sense to me, not even aesthetically.

It too bad that the flowered tank cover is no longer available, since that would have been an easy winner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is the time of year where awards are presented for this and that. We could have something like that and vote for the ugliest or more useless bit of bling or accessory that sucks or it's overpriced.

My vote this year goes to the tank luggage rack I've just paid £75 for...:eek:

For sale at places like this in the US (note the considerable discount now offered!):

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/tank-top-rack.html
Try a smear of silicon grease under suction cups, works on my garmin windscreen attachment, that was always falling off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The ashtray on My Bonnie never seems to work. The only good thing about it is the self emptying feature when you hit 27.5 MPH.

Thanks Forchchetto that's saved me £75 as I was going to get one.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
Forchetto - the Panavise 809 Camera Suction-Cup Mount (used on the GoPro Motorsports Hero) is rated to 100 MPH. I can verify that it sticks like glue and doesn't come off. I've used mine in rain, moderate cold, and had it attached for days at a time. With your skills, I'm sure you could modify 4 of them to replace the existing cups on your rack. They would be more visible however.

·
Vendor
2,352 Posts
I think the thing to do would be to get an extra tank, that was maybe scratched or dented or something, weld you some threaded posts to it in the proper location, have the tank painted and then install the damn thing like it was originally intended to be installed. Then it wouldn't look so stupid and might actually serve a purpose.
Yeah, there was a reason they stopped bolting these racks to the tank in the 60's. If you had a frontal accident and slid up the tank, your "John Thomas" and his two mates would at the very least be severely bruised and if I remember correctly, in one case ripped off. :eek:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes I would like to propose the bar end mirrors that come as an accessory for the Mag Wheel Bonnies. They are utterly useless.

I was sold into thinking they would be of the same quality as the bar end mirrors on Thruxtons - well-made, good smooth rotation, which fit and work on the short bars on the Thrux perfectly.

The Mag Wheel Bonnie bars at 29 inches, are of course substantially wider.

Why then would anyone in their right mind specify bar end mirrors which extend the width of the bike by several more inches?. They constrict traffic filtering are too wide to see and dangerous as well as pointless.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Forchetto - the Panavise 809 Camera Suction-Cup Mount (used on the GoPro Motorsports Hero) is rated to 100 MPH. I can verify that it sticks like glue and doesn't come off. I've used mine in rain, moderate cold, and had it attached for days at a time. With your skills, I'm sure you could modify 4 of them to replace the existing cups on your rack. They would be more visible however.
Holding the rack onto the tank isn't the difficulty. These racks were meant to hold something else, cargo or parcels, the same as a tank bag today. So even though the rack stays on, if it doesn't peform a function it's kind of silly.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Chrome anything. Why oh why does anyone like chrome?

(no offence to anyone who likes chrome. You have no taste.)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Triumph dresser bars. I bought them as protection, but the first time I tipped my bike over in the garage, it bent one of them in. If I laid it down while riding, I wouldn't be surprised if the thing snapped off the bike.

The seat cowl. It may look kind of spiffy, but it does nothing except deprive a pillion of a place to sit. The seat it's made for is much better looking without it.

Triumph foam cafe racer seat. Again, may be spiffy looking, but it's just a big lump of foam that can't be sat on or have anything put into it. A Corbin trunk would at least be more functional. (Apologies to anyone who has one. I'm not saying they look bad - just commenting on function).

Triumph Bonneville windshield (the big one). Not knocking the looks, but this thing caused more turbulence around my head than it prevented. I finally had to take it off before my brain turned to jell-o.

1 - 20 of 378 Posts