Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Pullin' for ya... miracles can happen... fingers crossed!
Yes they can! Bike is all fixed up and good to go. It ended up being the front sprocket nut. Somehow it loosened up and fell off despite the bent washer keeping it in place. I’m currently using a Kawasaki nut. Bike is doing good again. Disaster averted!

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
204 Posts
Yes they can! Bike is all fixed up and good to go. It ended up being the front sprocket nut. Somehow it loosened up and fell off despite the bent washer keeping it in place. I’m currently using a Kawasaki nut. Bike is doing good again. Disaster averted!
Awesome, very cool!!! 👍👍

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sweet! Glad you're able to continue on!

Reactions: Itchytoe

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
DAY 13 & 14: A Great Big Update!

These last two days have been one heck of a roller coaster. My last update ended in Savannah Georgia so that's where I'll start this update. Georgia wasn't as flat as Florida. It wasn't anything like the Great Smoky Mountains, but the change in scenery was nice. South Carolina and North Carolina were pretty similar. Slightly more hills and landscape to look at the farther we went. We were getting closer and closer to the Outer Banks, NC, our next checkpoint. The Outer Banks is a pretty big area, so I checked on the official ride description. That checkpoint is listed as "Outer Banks, Kinnakeet, NC". Ah, but there is no Kinnakeet in NC. There used to be, but that area is known as Avon now. Hmmm, but exactly where is Avon? It's as far from the mainland as you can get. You can approach from the southern end, but you've got multiple ferries to deal with. Ferries are cool, but if you miss one, it can be a long wait for the next to come around. Instead, I decided that we'd take the northern route. It's all roads and bridges so no waiting. I got a very stern look from Mr. Chauffeur when we got to the first bridge only to realize that it's a draw bridge. And of course, we got stopped by it. I enjoyed the stop. There were seagulls hanging around the bridge so I made some new friends. They even flew with us for a little way while we rode on.

Once we got onto Roanoke Island, things started looking like a fairy tale. Clear skies. All the houses looked the same. They were freshly painted in stereotypical beach colors. The farther down through the Outer Banks islands we rode the cuter it became. The little two lane road goes right through the beach! There is sand blowing in the wind across the road. Beaches on both sides. Sand dunes from time to time. Then the little villages you come to are full of those cute little colorful storybook beach houses. The businesses are just as colorful and are all beach oriented. There aren't many normal businesses out there. Everything is catered to fun on the beach. I guess that's how it should be out on barrier islands. What else are you going to do there? If you are a beach loving person, you should definitely head there!

The Outer Banks are kinda like the Florida Keys. Low speed limits, and there are a few cops out there so you have to be careful. We eventually made it to Avon and saw a Dairy Queen! I made Mr. Chauffeur pull over there and get us a strawberry sundae to enjoy. Not only would it be a great snack, but it would provide the receipt we need to prove we were there. We could enjoy the ice cream, then head back to the mainland. Except it didn't quite work out that way. DQ's printer wasn't working so we couldn't get a receipt there. That's okay. The ice cream was worth the stop. It was good! But we still needed that receipt. We rode a little farther into Avon and found a gas station/convenience store. Mr. Chauffeur went in, got a bag of chips, and left with a receipt. With that receipt in hand, we turned around and got on our way to the next receipt location, West Quoddy, Maine. The ride back through the idyllic Outer Banks islands was just as nice as the ride in. Right up until we started approaching Roanoke Island again. Then, the weather got dark. And darker. And cold too. The temperature dropped fast! A nasty thunderstorm was brewing right ahead of us. There really wasn't a place to stop until Nag's Head so we hurried along in hopes of beating the rain. We almost made it, but didn't. The thunderstorm broke about 3 minutes before we got there. Mr. Chauffeur was completely soaked in those 3 minutes. The wind was getting bad too. The first place to stop at was a KFC/Taco Bell, so that's where we stopped. We were happy to get off the road and out of that rain. Mr. Chauffeur was hungry, so picked a table in the back, sat down, and had an early dinner while the thunderstorm blew over.

Mr. Chauffeur looked at the GPS and decided that we should go on to Chesapeake to stop for the night. We were already all wet, so the light rain wouldn't actually matter. Sadly, we didn't make it that far before Bad News Bear bit us again. In this little place called Coinjock, the bike lost all power to the rear wheel very suddenly. Everything was fine, then the revs picked up while the bike slowed down. Fortunately, we were next to a gas station so we pulled in to try to figure out what the fork was going on. It seemed like the bike was always in Neutral, no matter what we tried to do. The clutch sounded like it was grabbing fine. The transmission seemed to be shifting as it should. But no power to the wheel. It was late. It was dark. It was raining. Mr. Chauffeur didn't want to start taking things apart in the middle of nowhere, so he called a tow truck to get him to a hotel up in Chesapeake. He would deal with the issue in the morning after a good night's sleep.

The next morning rolled around and it was still raining. Neither of us wanted to lay down in a hotel parking lot, in the rain, and try to figure out what was going on, so Mr. Smooth Talker made a few phone calls. He found a place that could look at the bike in a hurry, and a tow truck that could get it there for not too much. That wasn't the cheapest route, but I think it was the best route. The repair shop has all the tools needed to fix whatever the problem was. The tow truck would probably be cheaper than a bunch of Uber rides to various hardware stores for Mr. Chauffeur to get all the parts he would need to fix it. It just made sense to do it that way, so that's what we did. They got the bike up on a lift and quickly realized the problem. They took the cover off of the front sprocket to see that the retaining nut and washer were completely missing and the sprocket had just jumped off the splines. Not a hard fix, but also not something I can do in a hotel parking lot in the rain because I didn't have another nut to put on it. I'm so happy Mr. Chauffeur had it taken to a dealership. That made it another easy fix for old Red! Huzzah! That dealership didn't have a Triumph front sprocket nut, but they did have a set for a Kawasaki that fit well enough to get Red back on the road. A quick $50 fix and we were back in action.

Well, I say quick, but it was definitely a late start. And I had to backtrack to where the bike broke down. You see, if I have the bike towed, then I didn't ride the bike around the US. No no, I had to return to gas station I had the bike towed from and pickup where I left off. So that's exactly what we did. We turned around and rode back to that Shell station in the middle of nowhere NC. We topped off the tank to prove we went back, then turned around, again, and rode the same road back to Chesapeake to get things going again. Fortunately, the rain stopped so at least we weren't getting rained on. From Chesapeake, we rode up across the bay, through Maryland, through Delaware, and into New Jersey. Mr. Chauffeur finally had enough of riding with a wet boot, so we called it an early night at a Days Inn. We were off the road and checking in a little after 6:00. All of the laundry was dirty, so Mr. Chauffeur showered and put on his jammies. Then he took all the laundry to the guest laundromat and got it washing. Then he chatted up the cutie at the hotel front desk for a minute and found out that the local Chinese place delivers to the Days Inn. She even gave him a menu with their phone number on it. Huzzah! Back to the room and a 30 second phone call had fried rice, egg rolls, and Kung Po Shrimp heading our way. We gave the delivery driver a few extra bucks and thanked him for a nice hot hand delivered meal and sat down to give you all an update.

Time for some number crunching again. It looks like from my current location, through the next three required checkpoints, is 2765 miles and 43 hours. Tomorrow is day 15 so I have 6 days left to do that in. That's 460 miles and a little over 7 hours a day I have to make each day to meet my deadline. West Quoddy is 10 hours and 600 miles away from where I am now. I'm going to try to make it there tomorrow, but you know how that goes. Best laid plans of mice and men...

It's 9:30 local time. We've showered. All our laundry is clean. Mr. Chauffeur's boots are nearly dry again. You are all updated, even though there are no pics. Ugh, those might end up waiting until after we get back to Warroad. This has been such an exhausting, but exciting trip already. Thank you all for the kind words of support and just for watching the thread. It makes days like yesterday and today so much easier just knowing there are people watching. You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad you fixed your Stripe. Mine let me down twice already. A new stator is on its way. Was just about to say that Striples are only good for local fun and, may be, track days, but saw you back on the road; hope it will make it till the end. Good luck! It is definitely a good one.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,045 Posts
Wow what a road moto adventure the Red Rooster is taking us on!…FTG

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
204 Posts
Ditto what FTG said above! Impressive in so many ways. And Greetings from New Jersey! Hope you have a pleasant journey through. "Y'all come back now, ya hear?" 😉

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,991 Posts
So glad to hear you're still rolling!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congratulations and you've had good luck with mechanics - can't believe they just charged you $50 and they got to it same day. That seems a weird part to fail as near as I can tell there's little, if any, pressure on it hence not something that is likely to fail as it's not much wearing. Unlike say, the chain and sprockets themselves. The pressure on the sprocket would be fore and aft, not lateral.

Good luck with weather through the north east - much of this summer has been lots of rain.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
DAY 15: Riding with The King of Pop! and Finding Florida Man!

Today started off great! The bike was running well. Me and Mr. Chauffeur had a good night's sleep after all that Chinese food. We also didn't have any reason to backtrack. We just suited up and headed over up to Maine. Well, I suited up. Mr. Chauffeur seemed to have misplaced his left glove. Nope, not in the tank bag. Nope, not in the top case. Nope, not in the hotel room. Nope, not in the hotel laundry room either. No, the girl at the front desk didn't have it in the lost and found either. And no, it wasn't in the room with the ice machine. Sigh! He looks so goofy with just one glove. Oh well, he will just get a little more sun on his left hand I guess.

Anyway, me and Michael Jackson got back on the New Jersey Turnpike and promptly found out where Florida Man was headed. It's New York. That's where he was going because once again, traffic was hauling butt on I-95. It stayed that way until we crossed the Hudson into New York. That must be where Florida Man got off because traffic started getting pretty slow for a while. New York was fully of big city life. Skyscrapers all over. Bad traffic everywhere. We were on a motorcycle, so we took the parkways. No commercial traffic to deal with there so the cars were moving along faster. There were some nice sweeping curves. We even managed to get a little lean going on a few of them. It wasn't anything great, but it was better than I expected.

Once we made it through New York and into Connecticut, traffic sped up to a more reasonable pace. The scenery also started getting better. More foliage was near the road. The landscape was getting a little more hilly. The weather was great! A few clouds, no rain, no wind, and decent temperatures. That continued all the way to Portland. Then things started to change. A few clouds turned into a lot of clouds. No rain turned into dodging showers. Even the temperature was dropping. I know what that sudden drop in temps means. It means rain! There were no more obvious showers to go around. It was just grey everywhere. The rain started very light, then turned into real rain. No thunderstorms, but a slow, steady rain. It started around Bangor, and just didn't stop. We rode through it until Machias where Mr. Chauffeur pointed out that every hotel and motel we passed said "No Vacancy". What the forks? It's the middle of nowhere and everything is full? We were wet, and getting rained on, and no motels had rooms? That's a bad sign, so we stopped at a gas station and used the covered parking for a few minutes. We made some phone calls and found out that every hotel and motel within about an hour's ride was completely full! One of the hotels Mr. Chauffeur called mentioned a Bed and Breakfast that had room, so he called them. Sure enough, they did so we got it. It was only about 20 minutes back the way we came. I hate backtracking, but we really didn't have a choice. It's a little expensive, but they said tomorrow morning is stuffed French toast for breakfast. I'm no mathematician, but home made stuffed French toast sounds pretty freaking delicious! That's a $20 breakfast for sure, which makes the room not expensive at all. We got checked in and found out that everything within an easy drive closes by 8:00, so we should get food before showering if we wanted anything better than McDonalds. We hopped back on the bike, all wet and in need of showers, and stopped at a little diner called Helen's Restaurant in Machias, Maine. It was 7:45, but they close at 7:30. It's okay though, because they are awesome people and suggested sitting at the bar would mean we would still be able to order food. We sat down and ordered some fish and chips, because why not? It was well cooked and tasted great. It could have used a little more seasoning, but I wasn't expecting well seasoned food in Maine.

After eating, we went back to the B&B for much needed showers. This little B&B is nice. Books on the bookshelf. An armoire for all your clothes. A little table and chairs in the room. And best of all, a very clean bathroom! It's so much better than a cheap hotel. If you're ever in the area, consider the Chandler River Inn. Very nice couple running the place. Comfortable beds. And they'll cook breakfast for you in the morning. It's like staying at Grandma's.

We aren't quite at our next checkpoint of West Quoddy. We are about 45 minutes away from it, but this was the only place available so we took it. We made 560 miles of progress today, so we're still looking to make the loop in time. Tomorrow, we are going to get a souvenir at the West Quoddy Gift Shop for the required receipt, then head towards Syracuse. We may or may not make it that far. It's a long way and the weather may be unstable. We should make it if we can stay dry. If not, we'll stop when Mr. Chauffeur decides he has had enough for the day. He is getting tired of being rained on. It makes for miserable riding.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Wow the Red Rooster moto adventure continues, French a toast is my breakfast specialty!
great morning read, keep on trucking my man!.. FTG

·
Registered
231 Posts
How long do you have to do this? If you are trying to get to Syracuse as quick as possible it's 95 to 495 to 290 to 90 - all interstates. There isn't a fast way east/west across New England at higher latitudes. It's all 2 lane blacktops and if you get stuck behind an 18 wheeler or RV, not to mention summer road work...

Shouldn't you get extra time in respect of mechanical breakdowns?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
How long do you have to do this? If you are trying to get to Syracuse as quick as possible it's 95 to 495 to 290 to 90 - all interstates. There isn't a fast way east/west across New England at higher latitudes. It's all 2 lane blacktops and if you get stuck behind an 18 wheeler or RV, not to mention summer road work...

Shouldn't you get extra time in respect of mechanical breakdowns?

The time limit is 20 days from the time of the initial receipt I got back in Warroad in Day 1. That's ummm, 7/6/2021 at 6:43:14 am, so I have to be back in Warroad with a receipt to prove it by 7/26/2021 at 6:43:14 am. If I get there at 6:44 am, I missed the timer and don't get the gold cert. (Realistically, I need to be there the night before because I'm not going to ride through the night without really needing to.) And no, there is no extra time for breakdowns or getting lost or anything like that. That's all factored into the 20 day time limit. It's why you want to stay ahead of the game instead of barely making the minimum required mileage per day. Dealing with mechanical breakdowns while on the road is part of the IBA game. Just bear in mind that the vast majority of IBA rides aren't as insane as this one. 90% of them are just a day or two in length. It takes someone truly crazy to embark on a ride like this one.

Anyway, it's time for today's update, so I'm gunna work on that!

Reactions: speedmaster2019

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
DAY 16: More Backtracking, Some Light Offroading, and One Awesome Breakfast!

Today started with breakfast. French Toast with goat cheese and fresh blueberries hand picked by the B&B owner's young daughter. It was the best breakfast I've had in at least a year. It wasn't overdone on one side like I usually make French Toast. The blueberries were juicy and the drip coffee was hot. Mr. Chauffeur made a good choice going there for the night.

After breakfast, we got suited up and headed over to our next checkpoint, West Quoddy, Maine. At least we kinda did that. You see, there is no West Quoddy, Maine. There is the Quoddy Head State Park, but that's got a Lubec, ME address. There is also the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, but that also has a Lubec, ME address. Same thing with the West Quoddy Gift Shop. It's all technically in Lubec. There is no West Quoddy in Maine. All of those places are on West Quoddy Head, whatever that is, so I had Mr. Chauffeur just take us to the gift shop to get a small trinket and receipt. The road there was pretty rough. There was some construction that even let us do some off roading with the Striple. What's that old saying? Any bike is an off road bike if you just try hard enough!

It was an interesting ride out to the lighthouse. Very foggy! In fact, it was so foggy that you could barely see the lighthouse from the parking lot. We had to walk half way there just to see the top of the lighthouse!

IMG_3806.JPG

Honestly, I don't even understand why they put a lighthouse there. There is only like 50 feet of water off the coast and it's full of rocks Definitely not a whole ocean. You can't get a big boat in there.

Meh, it was still cool to be there. It's the Easternmost point in the whole US! There was a rock saying so. I sat on the rock to get my picture taken.

It's strange to think I was over at the Golden Gate Bridge just a few days ago...

Not many chickens, or people, can say they've seen both in a single life time. It's pretty exciting! But it means I now get to head back towards Warroad where I started. When we saddled up again, Mr. Chauffeur realized that he forgot his camel back at the B&B. Ugh! Stupid humans! We went all the way back to get it, then continued on our way to Syracuse. We got to go through a bunch of cute little country towns. It was a slow but pleasant ride through rural America. Lots of small town cops to be careful around. Fortunately, none of them paid us any attention. We got to enjoy the nice views all the way back to the highway. Once we got to the highway, the scenery wasn't as good, but we started making good time. We stuck with the highway almost all the way to Syracuse. It was getting late. The sun had set. And it started raining on us so Mr. Chauffeur was quick to call it enough. We were in Oneida, which is darn near Syracuse. We found a decent but cheap hotel room and ordered some Dominos delivery. It wasn't very good, but it was cheap and filling enough for us.

Based on Google Maps, we've got 24 hours and 1523 miles to go. We've got 4 full days to do it in. Barring another mechanical issue, we've got a very good chance at making it in time! We should be able to split that up into 3 500ish mile days. That's not bad, and it will put us back in Warroad a day early! I LOVE that extra 1 day buffer. It's a valuable security blanket. Tomorrow, we will be shooting for Ann Arbor, Michigan!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Hmm, it looks like that SpotWalla map has been viewed over 1200 times. Someone must have it open in a background window and not know it. Or I have a stalker and don't know it yet.

Reactions: speedmaster2019

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hmm, it looks like that SpotWalla map has been viewed over 1200 times. Someone must have it open in a background window and not know it. Or I have a stalker and don't know it yet.
That might be me...

<insert joke about liking chicken>

Actually, there's a bicycle race from Oregon to Virginia called the Trans Am Bike Race. The racers carry a SPOT device and you can track their progress on a website similar to SpotWalla (Trans Am Bike Race 2021) - which I do and did until most of them finished. I found it interesting and enjoyed watching their progress (I'm hoping to do the race next year). And then your adventure started... So, when I'm in the office, I have it up on a spare computer. I don't use the computer hardly at all, so it just stays up kinda to my side / behind me. I can't say I watch intently, but I do look over sometimes to see your progress. Frankly, it's been amazing how far you've travelled in such a short amount of time!

(I didn't realize, until just now, every 5 minutes when it refreshed it incremented viewed count)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
What’s the game plan for Red the Rooster when the adventure is over, 3 day spa treatment….. FTG

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had refreshed the spot map many many times your first 4-5 days, so I bet I’m 100 of those 1200 :oops:

I’d check while I was having morning coffee; yep he’s already moving and doing 75mph
I’d check at lunch time; yeah still going 75mph
Check when I was done with dinner; wow, he’s still going 80mph!
Check when I was ready for bed; he’s going 45 now, must be looking for his motel for the night.

You’re insane!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
That might be me...

<insert joke about liking chicken>

Actually, there's a bicycle race from Oregon to Virginia called the Trans Am Bike Race. The racers carry a SPOT device and you can track their progress on a website similar to SpotWalla (Trans Am Bike Race 2021) - which I do and did until most of them finished. I found it interesting and enjoyed watching their progress (I'm hoping to do the race next year). And then your adventure started... So, when I'm in the office, I have it up on a spare computer. I don't use the computer hardly at all, so it just stays up kinda to my side / behind me. I can't say I watch intently, but I do look over sometimes to see your progress. Frankly, it's been amazing how far you've travelled in such a short amount of time!

(I didn't realize, until just now, every 5 minutes when it refreshed it incremented viewed count)
Ah I thought it would be something like that. It's not an problem or anything. It's just a simple counter. Doesn't flood SpotWalla's servers or anything like that. Feel free to keep it going if you enjoy checking it out. That's why I'm doing it. I was just surprised to see that counter hit 1200. That's way more than I ever thought it would hit.

That bike race looks very cool. It would take me forever to get a bicycle from Oregon to Virginia. If you can do it, you're a better rider than me.
What’s the game plan for Red the Rooster when the adventure is over, 3 day spa treatment….. FTG
I haven't figured that out, but I suspect there will be quite a bit of sleep involved. Mr. Chauffeur is really starting to feel all those miles. These last few 500ish mile days are feeling more like 750 mile days. That's why I started with a big 1200 mile day. Get those miles in early because they are hard to keep doing the longer you are on the road.

It's time for today's update so I'll get to work on that.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts