Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could have vibrated off with so many hours spent at speed. Hopefully the brake switch getting triggered was responsible for the issue!

Dan

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
DAY 8: A Triumph at Triumph!

We spent a few hours at the San Antonio Triumph dealership, CTX Motoworks. Mr. Chauffeur explained the issue to the service guys who also didn't really have much of an idea of where to start, but they were eager to help out. They did a full diagnostic and everything showed up in good working order. No faults, no misses, no stored codes, nothing out of the ordinary. One of them happened to bump the brake lever and the brake light flickered. Normally not concerning because that's what brake levers do. For some reason, he wiggled it up and down and the brake light flickered again. That's not normal! It should only trigger the brake light when you pull it back, not wiggling it up and down. He took a closer look and noticed that lock nut was missing from the main brake lever pin. That's not really a big deal either. The pin screws in from the top and that's what actually keeps everything together. Then he also noticed that part of the bushing that the main pin goes through was also missing. That's more concerning. There's really no way for it to come out with the pin still in place, unless it somehow shattered and came out in pieces. (Or if someone decided to borrow it then put the brake lever back in place so that it didn't draw suspicion instantly.) It doesn't really matter though because that's the only thing not right with the bike. That's what they focused on as far as a repair plan goes. They didn't have a bushing to fit, so they made a custom one from a different sized bushing. It took a bit of filing down but worked. They also replaced the lock nut just to be safe.

Then came the testing phase. Did it work? Well, it certainly seems to have. The brake light doesn't flicker when wiggling the brake lever. We rode the bike another 369 miles. All the way down to South Padre' Island and back north about 45 minutes to get a somewhat reasonable rate on a hotel room. The bike didn't studder once! It performed as flawlessly as a new bike. With that many miles and no issues, I think it's safe to say the problem was cured. It was incredibly expensive for what was required to fix it. I mean, it's $2.00 worth of parts at a hardware store, so anything more than $5 would be expensive. But they figured out the problem, gave the bike a clean bill of health, got me back on the road, and did it all with incredibly short notice. For all that, it was not expensive at all. Oh, they also made a great suggestion for lunch and were happy to chat about bikes and my trip so far. They were great guys who seemed to genuinely like motorcycles and weren't just there for a paycheck.

My next checkpoint on the trip was South Padre' Island. We headed south from San Antonio on towards the island. It went mostly well. We managed to hit a few quick showers. They were intense, but short lived. Mr. Chauffeur even managed to dry off just in time for the next one. It was funny, as long as you're not Mr. Chauffeur... Once we got through the rain, I was getting hungry. I thought we'd ride into South Padre' Island, grab a bite to eat, then head out to get a hotel room. Boy was I wrong! We got down there at about 8:00 to find it swarming with people. Mr. Chauffeur had a hard time finding a place to park the bike. Every parking lot was full. There were people walking around everywhere. There was much revelry and merriment being had. There were lines at every restaurant. The first one we tried had a wait time of over an hour. We made a few calls from the parking lot only to find that practically every eating establishment was the same. That's just crazy! Instead of getting food there, we went to a CVS and picked up some M&Ms to get the required receipt as proof we were there, then headed off the island to get food. 10 minutes off the island got us decent food with no wait. Probably better service too. I'd never been to South Padre' Island before, and I don't think I'll go back. It's just not my kind of place. Obviously, many people love it. I must just be an anti-social rooster.

After leaving South Padre', we got a hotel room at a place called Deluxe Inn and Suites. $60 a night plus tax for a large room with a king sized bed, TV, fridge, microwave, coffee pot, stove, eating table, and couch with a coffee table. It's a forking studio apartment, not a motel room. It's great for $60! Worth every penny. Sadly, the internet isn't so good here. Pictures don't want to upload, so I'll have to post pics of the cool new bikes, including one of the Daytona 765s (#276 of 765) tomorrow.

Day 8 Totals:
5123 Miles so far. Not quite 50%, but getting close!
323 Miles ahead of schedule, despite abysmally low mileage today, and yesterday.
Warroad, Neah Bay, San Ysidro, and South Padre' Island checkpoints marked off the list.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,045 Posts
Good ol days Me and my guys always tried to get bottom floor hotel rooms so we could push our sportbikes bikes into the rooms for security and from bad weather, yeh there would b oils spots and the smell of carb gas in the hotel room when we left…lol.. FTG

·
Registered
599 Posts
Glad they got you fixed! Sounds like the dealer in San Antonio is a good one!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
DAY 9: Rain, Rough Roads, and Reunions!

Today was a memorable one for sure! We started our ride from the Deluxe Inn and Suites down in Raymondville, Texas to New Orleans, LA with the intent to make good time today, but that didn't happen. Not long after getting on the road, we hit some rain. It wasn't too bad, but got us all wet first thing in the morning. It was just a short burst of rain so it wasn't really worth putting on the rain gear only to take it back off 2 minutes down the road. Not long after the first fuel stop, Mr. Chauffeur pointed out some very ominous looking clouds in the road ahead. They didn't look like just another quick shower, so we pulled over into a truck stop and checked the radar. There was a bit of green, and lots of red and purple in the road ahead and it was heading right for us! Fortunately, there was a Subway in the truck stop, so we got a sammich and took a break to let the rain die down. As he took the first bites of his sammich, the thunderstorm hit us. Tons of rain and wind all around us. Traffic on the main road slowed to a crawl. There were even a few small tree branches blowing across the parking lot. Waiting this one out was definitely the right decision. Trying to ride through that wind and rain would have ended badly. The winds didn't last too long, but the rain continued pouring for what seemed like an hour. We just hung out inside the nice dry, air conditioned truck stop until it was over.

When the rain stopped, we checked the radar again and it looked like things were clearing up enough to continue riding. We topped up the tank and hopped back on the road. There was still some rain to go through, but nothing like that initial thunderstorm. Mr. Chauffeur spent the the whole ride into Houston getting wet then drying off just in time to get rained on again. I almost feel bad for the guy. Houston traffic wasn't bad this time through. It definitely could have been better, but there's no point in complaining. The roads were dry and nobody tried to run over us, so I think that makes it a win. That continued all the way to Beaumont, TX. There, we saw the last of the rain. Once again, just enough rain to get us all wet, but not enough to warrant stopping to put on the rain gear. Hmm, I'm starting to think we won't even use the rain gear. Anyway, we dried off completely by the time we got to Sulphur, Louisiana. That was good because we stopped by a riding buddy's place and got some Mexican food. Fajitas are always good right? I got Mr. Chauffeur to take our picture. That's me, our riding buddy, and his daughter.

It was a nice chat, a nice meal, and nice to just be able to sit down and relax for a while. Riding through that rain was tiring. Unfortunately, our meal couldn't last forever so we said goodbye and hit the road again. Not far from there we stopped again and met with Mr. Chauffeur's sister. Ugh, all these stops are killing our time. But it was nice to get a cup of coffee and talk to her for a while. Mr. Chauffeur even photobombed us!

Then we got back on the road headed for New Orleans! As always, there was construction on I-10. And I-10 was still in terrible shape. It's got to be one of the worst roads in teh country. It was dark when we left that little coffee stop, but the bike has plenty of lights that wasn't an issue. We made it all the way to Baton Rouge without any drama. Then drama ensued, much as Mr. Chauffeur expected. Baton Rouge has some of the worst drivers on the planet. There was one guy towing an empty trailer who decided he needed to exit across three lanes of traffic and almost hit a minivan in the process. I'm glad we were keeping some distance between ourselves and the other traffic. That could have been bad. Then there was the a car that nearly merged into us while trying to go around a semi. They saw us in time, but we still swerved into the far lane to avoid them. Then a little farther, yet another car tried to merge into us at an interstate onramp. And that's when Mr. Chauffeur decided it was time to get off the road. We hadn't quite made it to New Orleans, but we were close enough. We took the next exit and got a cheap hotel room. Once again, the cheap room was bigger than most of the more expensive "luxury" rooms. It even had a sectional sofa in it! No funny smells or anything like that. It's strange, but the cheap rooms seem to be better than the expensive ones.

Today, we only made 595 miles. Not quite the 600 mark, but close enough to not worry about. We also some time to visit with friends and family so that's a win in my book. Oh, and as promised, here's a few pics from the San Antonio dealership from yesterday:

The Daytona 765. This one is #276 of 765.

This good looking Scrambler is the Steve McQueen edition. I really like the shade of green they used on it.

Ducatis are awesome too right? Two of them were already sold. It's the two white ones. I thought Ducatis were supposed to be red, but the white ones sell faster. Hmmm

Orange and black? Is that a Harley in a Triumph dealership? Say it ain't so!

A good looking blue Street Twin.

And because I can't resist, this is the new Street Triple R. Definitely a good looking bike. I love the red subframe on the R.

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
204 Posts
Great stuff, dude… descriptions, pics… awesome! Happy trails all the way, dry and safe.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
DAY 10: Florida Man, Rats, and More Gulf Coast Rain!

Today was interesting. Mr. Chauffeur was being lazy this morning and just didn't want to get out of bed, so I did what roosters do best. I sang him a song of encouragement and he was out of bed in seconds! He got us all packed up ready to go like he does every morning. Then we jumped on the bike and headed out. Venice is farther south along the Mississippi river than I thought. You head south out of New Orleans and it still takes an hour and a half to get there. I had no idea the Mississippi Delta was that big. There are lots of old fishing boats and small little villages to see down there. And cops. Every little village seemed to have its own hiding place set up just for the cops. Fortunately, Mr. Chauffeur knows about Louisiana's love for speed traps so he was watching.

There were also storm clouds again today. Yep, we got rained on as we went down to Venice. It was dry when we made it there so we were able to stop at a dollar store and grab some batteries for the official receipt. Then we turned around and made the hour and a half trip back up to New Orleans. Yes, we got rained on during the return trip too. Once we got to New Orleans, we followed I-10 over to Mississippi where we got rained on just before getting into Mississippi. Oh, and we got rained on just after crossing over into Mississippi too. The rain let up a bit as we were going through Biloxi so we stopped at IHOP for a late breakfast. It rained on us again when we left and headed into Alabama. The skies started looking pretty good as we got into Florida! They cleared up and we got a glimpse of the sun for a few minutes. Then the skies turned grey again and it rained on us some more. This rain continued intermittently all the way from New Orleans to Tallahassee. It was not an enjoyable riding day. There was also nothing worth taking a picture of today so, sorry everyone. It was just dark and dreary all day long. Once we got past Tallahassee, the rain quit, but it was well after sunset so still dark and dreary. We made it to Lake City when Mr. Chauffeur mumbled something about drowning some rats in a hotel room, or something like that. I'm not sure, what he was talking about, but it was time to stop so we stopped.

We made it about 715 miles today so we are adding some miles to the buffer again. That's a good feeling since the last few days cost us some buffer miles. Tomorrow, we should make it down to Key West then head back up a bit for the night. Hotels are much cheaper when you aren't actually in the keys, so we'll probably leave the keys before stopping for the night. Should have some pics down in the Keys for tomorrow, as long as the weather cooperates. For now, we're going to bed. Might be a long day tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yep the Florida weather has been pretty erratic this past week and a lot of the storm activity has been in lower southwest of the state especially in the afternoons. If u r taking 75 south down to the keys u will b passing Ft. Myers where I am, I will b in Bonita Springs later today.
good luck with your road trip today!.. FTG

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
DAY 11: A Long One, But A Dry One!

Today was a good day. We made 660 miles. They started off pretty fast too! We left Lake City and got on I-75 South, which led into the Florida Turnpike. It's basically a straight shot from I-10 down to Miami. Florida Man drives fast down the turnpike. The official speed limit is 70, but I recommend against going that slow. Even at speeds above 80, people would constantly pass me up. I don't know where Florida Man is going, but he's getting there before me. We did manage to get about 30 seconds of light rain, but it was really just enough to cool us off a bit. Wasn't even annoying to ride through. Sadly, it was just a long stretch of interstate like road so there really isn't much to say about. Go fast, get fuel, go fast, get fuel. Bugs weren't bad and the roads weren't wet so Mr. Chauffeur's visor managed to stay relatively clear all day.

Then we got to the slow part, Key Largo. The Florida Keys are lovely any time of year. They are legitimate tropical islands. They are as far south as The Bahamas, and most are farther south than Nassau. Today, they did not disappoint! Great cloud cover. No rain in sight. Traffic wasn't as bad as we expected. Conditions were nearly perfect for a nice bike ride. The big flaw in the keys is the 30 to 55 mph speed limits. It's only about 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West, but it takes at least 2 hours. More if traffic is bad. And then you're on Key West and the only direction to go is back to Key Largo. It's a 4 hour round trip if you just turn around at Key West and don't do anything at all. I guess you could just pick up the pace and speed through there, but it's risky. There are cops all over the place! Some are county sheriffs, some are state cops, some are just empty cop cars staged to scare people into slowing down. No no, if you are smart, you'll just bite the bullet and slow down across the keys. Besides, it's a tropical island chain full of tourists on vacation. It's worth the extra time to slow down and enjoy the views, so that's what we did. We accepted that it was going to be slow, and we took our time to enjoy it. It was a great ride through the Keys!

It's very late already, so pictures will just have to wait. It's kinda tedious getting them from GoPro video footage and this old rooster is going to bed. But first, a little math! So far, according to Google Maps, Red the Rooster's Adventure has taken him 6,973 miles (not including Day 0). He has been to Warroad, Neah Bay, San Ysidro, South Padre' Island, Venice, and Key West. That leaves The Outer Banks, West Quoddy, Sault Ste. Marie, and the return to Warroad still to come. My current location to all of those waypoints comes in at 4,210 miles for a total trip distance of 11,183 miles. That puts me at 62% complete as of Day 11. I have 9 days left to do 4,210 miles to make the Gold version of the ride. That comes out to 467 miles per day. That's 3 full tanks of fuel per day. I've been averaging 634 miles per day so far, even including the very low mileage days around San Antonio due to the throttle/brake issues. I think Old Red's got a pretty good chance of making this a successful ride! Heck, even if something happens and I don't make it, it has certainly been an adventure to remember.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeh I was surprised that traffic wasn’t to bad for a Friday on 75 yesterday. When I moved to Florida 7 yrs ago and the first time I got on 75 with my bike it was like holy chit everyone was doing about 90 I had to ride in the slow lane not to get run over, i am use to it now…lol on the local streets 50 means 80 mph here in south west Fl. And yes they do stage empty cop cars all over the place but those r easy to spot out now for me, And they run super nice undercover cars that blend in totally.
Florida drivers are the most aggressive drivers u will ever meet, especially the big truck 4x4 locals..lol
what a adventure my man thnx for sharing it with us!.. FTG

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
DAY 12: They Come From a Can, They Were Put There By A Man In A Factory Downtown!, and a Very Unfortunate Scene

Today we made a big directional change. The trip started heading west from Minnesota all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Then we turned our heading south all the way down to the Mexican border. Once there we turned yet again and headed east. Yea, we went south a little to get down to South Padre' Island, but it was basically east from San Ysidro all the way to Key West. Today was another big turning point. Now we are headed north along the Atlantic coast. Mr. Chauffeur is really starting to feel the long miles at this point. It was a kinda short day, but still enough miles to keep us on track. We made it to Savannah, Georgia! That's where the obscure Day 12 title came from. Georgia, peaches, Presidents of the US... YouTube it. Also, 50 points if you figured it out before reading this far. An early stopping time should let me get data transferred to external hard drives and clear up the SD cards for more GoPro videos. And it should give me a chance to get everything well charged up. And it gives Mr. Chauffeur a chance to relax a little.

The ride up from the Keys to Jacksonville was about like the ride down to the Keys. Go fast, get gas, go fast, get gas, rinse, repeat. I thought I-95 would be a little more relaxed than the Florida Turnpike, but nope! Florida Man was there too and he was in just as big of a hurry as yesterday. What. The. Forks. Florida! I like to ride fast sometimes, but those guys are nuts! Not far from Jacksonville, a guy in a big lifted truck with those extra wide knobby tires flew past me like I was standing still, even though I was at 80+. They had to be in the triple digits. I feel bad for you FTG. I would hate to have to deal with people like that every day. It must be stressful living there.

I stopped at a Buccee's to grab lunch and use the facilities to freshen up a bit. It was hot outside so the break lasted longer than it needed to. That AC was nice and Buccee's always smells good! While there, my GPS reported a slow down due to a crash. It wasn't bad, only a 15 minute delay. Probably just a fender bender and rubber neckers. A few minutes later, it was a half hour delay. Then a 45 minute delay... Whoa, that's not a fender bender. We saddled up and got back on the road, making sure to pay extra attention to slowed or stopped cars ahead. We got into Georgia and Mr. Chauffeur noticed that there was no traffic in the Southbound lanes of I-95. Like, none at all. That's a bad sign. About 15 miles from the Georgia/Florida state line, we found the delay. Traffic came to a complete stop. We were able to carefully maneuver around and through traffic enough to stay kinda cool, but it was still hot with the sun on our backs and the hot black asphalt road. Traffic was at a near dead stop for miles. Then we got to the scene. There were vehicle pieces all over the road. The guard rails on both sides of the interstate were twisted up like straws. There were a couple of semis off in the grass. There were three or four ambulances still there. A few fire trucks. Cops were everywhere! I didn't see any helicopters, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that there were some on the scene. I don't know what happened, but it was pretty bad. The delay in the north bound traffic was due to the cops redirecting the south bound traffic across the center divider and back north to find an alternate route. They don't do that with a small wreck that will be cleared in a few hours. Whatever happened on I-95 south bound was bad. A little farther, we could see cops trying to get other semi trucks turned around and through the median. A few miles later I spotted a few cops in the middle of the south bound lanes with cones and barriers forcing the entire I-95 traffic off an exit. One that obviously can't handle that kind of traffic because there was a solid line of cars backed up on the interstate for about 5 miles waiting to get off. If you're heading south on I-95, just wait till tomorrow. It's going to be backed up for a long time.

I hate to report about bad traffic wrecks, but I gotta keep everything honest. Please stay safe out there. There is nothing on the road worth dying for. Anyway, my plan for tomorrow is to get up to the next checkpoint, Outer Banks, NC then hopefully a little farther, but it all depends on how Mr. Chauffeur is feeling. He is doing the work on this trip so it's up to him.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ah, I just found a news story about the wreck. Looks like it was a 5 vehicle pile up including a commercial truck carrying diesel that spilled. 1 dead and about 15 injured. Definitely a bad day. Looks like the details aren't all available yet. Ugh, be careful out there!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Sitting down eating while this blows over outside.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Whoa! Big time problem here. Transmission just went out. Everything was doing well then RPMs surged and transmission no longer does anything. Chain is looser too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2001 Thunderbird, 2003 Trophy 1200
524 Posts
Sounds terminal. I feel for you, man!
Thanks for doing this writeup, its been great!
Best of luck with the bike, we are all pulling for you.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,991 Posts
That does not sound good. You might have reached the end of this ride.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That’s sad to hear, hope it’s not terminal, staying tuned hoping for some good news.. FTG

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That does not sound good. You might have reached the end of this ride.
Yea, that is what I'm worried about. Maybe the front sprocket nut came loose and I can tighten it up and get back on the road, but I'm pretty bummed right now. Major buzzkill!

I ended up getting the bike towed to a hotel where I'm staying tonight. I'm going to do a little bit of investigation work tomorrow and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. If not, my only option will be to find a dealer to tow it to and see if they can figure it out. If it's not a quick fix, it will be a flight home to get the truck, then a long drive over here to retrieve the bike.

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
204 Posts
Yea, that is what I'm worried about. Maybe the front sprocket nut came loose and I can tighten it up and get back on the road, but I'm pretty bummed right now. Major buzzkill!

I ended up getting the bike towed to a hotel where I'm staying tonight. I'm going to do a little bit of investigation work tomorrow and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. If not, my only option will be to find a dealer to tow it to and see if they can figure it out. If it's not a quick fix, it will be a flight home to get the truck, then a long drive over here to retrieve the bike.
Pullin' for ya... miracles can happen... fingers crossed!

41 - 60 of 102 Posts