Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you have time there is a great loop from 101 - 211 through Ferndale, Black Sand Beach, Petrolia, Honeydew, and back to 101. Most of the road is right on the ocean and but for occasional house and general store, it's deserted.

Further south would suggest 1 through Fort Bragg all the way to San Francisco. Will be about same time as 101 but much better road mostly along the ocean.

Likewise suggest 1 south from San Francisco all the way to Santa Monica.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like you’re headed through Talent, OR later today! Be sure to wave to the Cummins facility where I work from time to time. We make lithium ion batteries there and that used to be Brammo where, among other things, the Empulse electric sport bike used to be made.

Ive ridden an Empulse around that area and it’s a beautiful area of the country!

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dunno if 2018 is way different than 2013 I have, but I can't even imagine doing 600 miles a day on that thing. Especially if the roads are a bit bumpy. I can do it on a Tiger, but man, Striple is just too stiff for that thing. ) Great story man. Stop by when you are near PA/DE border. I ll buy you a beer. ))

·
Registered
1 Posts
The progress you’ve made in just a few days is incredible. I’m really enjoying all of Red’s updates! Can’t wait to see more.

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’ve missed the last two days of updates but I’ll get them in tomorrow morning. Or later this morning depending on what time zone you are in. I made it down to San Diego and then over to Tucson. The desert heat is rough. I’m going through a lot of water.
But for now, I’m getting some sleep. I’m well ahead of schedule so I can afford a short day tomorrow

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
DAY 4: California is Weird!

When I woke up in the morning, I took a look at Google Maps. The Golden Gate Bridge was a must see item, so I checked to see how long it would take me to get there. With perfect traffic, we would get there right at sunset. That's cutting it too close. If I run into any bad traffic at all, I could miss it! I decided to head inland a bit and make better time on I-5. I know it's not as pretty, and a little warmer, but it's much faster. I left the hotel and headed over to the interstate. It wasn't as ugly as I expected. There were mountains around and the weather wasn't terrible. And then we got a little farther from the coast. The scenery faded away. The temperature climbed. Yup, it was ugly and hot as I expected after all. The temps kept climbing. 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, even up to 104! That's toasty even for roosters. Fortunately, I had plenty of water with me. Mr. Chauffeur had a long sleeved shirt on. That sounds crazy, but in those temps it helps insulate you from the heat. You can stay a little cooler because of the evaporative cooling of your sweat, and the hot dry wind doesn't dehydrate you as fast. Roosters have feathers to protect us, but humans don't have anything like that.

Then things started to get weird. I got off of I-5 and headed back to the coast for the Golden Gate Bridge. It stayed hot until I was 1 hour from the bridge. Then the temp started dropping. 104 turned into 76 in 15 minutes of riding. What the cinnamon toast fork?! That's a 28 degree temperature drop in 15 minutes. It was a welcomed change, but still surprising. It stayed comfortable all the way to the bridge view point. In case you were wondering, this is what it looks like.

There was a little fog but it was still a good view. After spending a few minutes admiring the view, we got back on the bike and headed over the bridge and down to San Diego. We knew we wouldn't make it. It was just too far. Instead, we found a hotel down in King City. I finally found a city fit for someone like me! We managed to get the last room at a Motel 6. It wasn't great, but it had a shower and a bed so it worked.

DAY 5: California is Still Weird and Arizona or BUST!

We woke up in the morning and took a good look at Google Maps again. We were San Diego bound but there was a small hitch. There was about 2 hours worth of delays due to traffic but this is California. Lane splitting it legal and people actually get out of the way for you. It was pretty darn cool, but so strange. Practically everywhere that has bad traffic, there was a nice wide opening between the middle and left lanes of traffic. Mr. Chauffeur was able to follow the local bikers through it with ease. Two hours of delays turned into about 30-45 minutes of delays. It was an interesting experience. We didn't go very fast through all that traffic. We were only about 15 mph faster than the flow of traffic. And when it picked up to a reasonable speed, we got back into the normal flow. When 75 mph traffic dropped to 10 mph, you better believe we spit those lanes though. It saves so much time!

We finally made it down to San Diego, well, San Ysidro actually because that's the official checkpoint. We stopped at Denny's and got a bite to eat, then checked out the map. Tucson was our decided destination for rest and relaxation. It was a hot ride through the desert again, but we had water with us and took breaks when needed. Heck, we even spent nearly an hour at a Love's just to cool off and let the sun go down. Desert travel is easier at night so that's what we did. Shortly after entering Arizona, we started to see lightning. We wouldn't have seen it during the day, so I was glad we were making the ride after dark. It light up the whole sky. It was fantastic! It was almost entirely cloud to cloud lightning. Then, of course, we hit the source of the lightning. It was a cold front. Winds picked up, but weren't too bad. It also started to rain. The rain drops were cold and felt nice, but they were those big drops that sting like bees when you hit them! Mr. Chauffeur made the executive decision to slow down to a bit. Going slow isn't good for time, but it's great for not ending up wrapped around a cactus in the shoulder from a gust of wind.

There wasn't a lot to see, but I think I can get some good pics off the GoPro. I'll dig through it tonight when I stop. It won't be a long day today. It's all desert riding, and I'm well ahead of schedule, so I can afford a short day.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,045 Posts
Great bridge shot with Red! Yep u can fly on for a minute On (I 5).
yep, anytime u go to San Fran or Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz once sun starts to set and those cool winds and ocean fog comes in its chills to the bones! and if u didn’t bring a sweater or jacket with u you would end up buying one of those stupid pink or blue tourist hoodies with dolphins and seals on it that says “ I Love Monterey”…lol.
Great report, and I do miss splitting lanes!…when necessary…FTG

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
DAY 6: That Desert Heat!

Today was a short day for us. Mr. Chauffeur was hot and sweaty and nasty, and got rained on going into Tucson. Needless to say, he could use a break so I agreed to leave a bit late today. We went from Tucson, Arizona to Van Horn, Texas, a distance of only 431 miles. That's definitely less than the 600 a day average. It's 1950 miles from here to Coos Bay, Oregon where we were last time I updated the mileage log, back on Day 3. Sheesh, I'm slacking. At the end of Day 3, we were at 2331 miles, so now we are at a total of 4,281 miles in 6 days. That puts us 681 miles ahead of where we need to be even with the low mileage day today. That's a full day ahead! It's also a miserable ride right now. Riding through the desert is never fun. There really isn't much to say about today. It was just an interstate slog through the heat.

Oh, here's a few pictures from the previous days that you might like. This is my first time seeing the Pacific Ocean. Good looking beach down there, plenty of clear skies, and lots of blue water!

This is one of the reasons I liked Oregon. The road would look like this, which is wonderful all by itself.

Then 30 seconds later, you'd get this view!

California was on fire, because of course it was. It wasn't too bad around where I was, but this is the smoke from the fires. Certainly less than ideal, but visibility was still okay.

Oh, and the Golden Gate Bridge as you ride over it. It looks small from the view points, but it's absolutely massive when you actually get to it!

Once you start to follow the Mexican border east, things get ugly IMO. It's just rocks and dirt and heat. I know some people like the deserts, but I'm not one of them. This is what I-8 and I-10 look like from San Diego to San Antonio.

That just doesn't do anything for me. I like green and blue more than browns. To each his own though. I don't remember where this pic was taken, but I like it, so here it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow. You seem close to half done already. I'm sorry you didn't find my native Washington State too impressive. I-5 from Spokane to Seattle is not very interesting. The other Cascade passes, the Columbia River gorge, and the area around Walla Walla offer better rides.

As you approach the northeastern part of your ride I can say I'm pretty familiar with 95 from Quantico to the New Brunswick border. DC to Boston is a very large crowded roadway. So if you have time and want a more scenic ride, you might consider going inland, say through the Delaware Water Gap, the Catskills, northwestern Massachusetts or southern Vermont, then rejoin 95 north of Boston.

The northeastern equivalent of Highway 1 on the Pacific Coast is a crowded road with dense development until north of Portland, Maine. So would consider just staying on the interstate until you are north of Portland then take the coast road to your waypoint.

Then maybe head west through the White Mountains in New Hampshire and the Green Mountains of Vermont. There is a cool ferry ride from Burlington Vermont to New York State across Lake Champlain.

And of course, to the extent one likes Star Trek, there is the Star Trek Museum in Ticonderoga New York. This is something one couldn't make up. A guy who made a fortune as an Elvis impersonator in Vegas decided to recreate the original Star Trek set in an old grocery store. William Shatner is appearing there for his 90th birthday later this month.

So would continue west through the Adirondacks and then south and west through the Finger Lakes. After that Western New York turns billiard table flat so would suggest just making time on the interstate as the two lane roads are pretty boring. Buffalo is a more interesting town then people give it credit for.

There are some nice rides through the Ohio River Valley but they are mostly north-south and you are going west.

If you're interested in doing any of the above I'd be happy to suggest specific routes.

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
204 Posts
Talk about living vicariously! Between your amazing journey, and the spotwalla element, and the pics, and your truly excellent writing... I'm living my dream, haha. Keep up the great work, much appreciated!! Best wishes...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
DAY 7: It Happened!

Today was another boring, but not long stretch of western Texas. I was planning to make it almost to South Padre' Island for checkpoint #4 and the half way point. I cut that short because the bike seems to have developed an odd throttle quirk. Everything works wonderfully, then out of the blue, the throttle cuts back by about 15%. No TC light or anything. It only does it when the throttle is being held steady, and I've only noticed it around 6,500 RPM and up. (Probably because that's where 98% of the ride time is spent.) If there are any throttle input changes, it will ride normally. Once I hit cruising speed and give it enough throttle to maintain that speed, it randomly and intermittently wants to cut back power. Sometimes it's fine for an hour or two, then will do it 10 times in 5 miles. Power will stay low if I never move the throttle, but as soon as I increase or reduce throttle input, the bike seems to wake up and realize that it's not doing what it should be and it kicks back into normal mode. I can't seem to find anything consistent about it other than the steady throttle input. Bike still has plenty of power. It idles fine. It will still do speeds well in excess of any posted speed limit. It isn't overheating. There are no odd sounds. All the T-CLOCS items are fine. Aside from some dirt and road grime, everything seems normal. Neither myself, nor Mr. Chauffeur can find anything obviously wrong. That's why we stopped in San Antonio early in the afternoon. There is a Triumph dealer here. We will have to head over there in the morning and see if Mr. Smooth Talker can schmooze up a little diagnostic in a hurry from one of the techs. A 15% throttle reduction is manageable though certainly not ideal. A 15% throttle increase at random times, or a 50/50 chance of either increase or reduction would be dangerous to ride with. So far, it's only been a throttle reduction but I can't shake the feeling that I'll be in traffic and BAM 15% more throttle than I'm expecting! That's a wreck in the making for sure.

Also, the rear tire is starting to square off as expected. I guess it's not bad for 4,500 miles. Mr. Chauffeur is going to have to lose a few pounds to make that tire last longer. I bet it will make the full 12,000 mile trip :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wow. You seem close to half done already. I'm sorry you didn't find my native Washington State too impressive. I-5 from Spokane to Seattle is not very interesting. The other Cascade passes, the Columbia River gorge, and the area around Walla Walla offer better rides.

As you approach the northeastern part of your ride I can say I'm pretty familiar with 95 from Quantico to the New Brunswick border. DC to Boston is a very large crowded roadway. So if you have time and want a more scenic ride, you might consider going inland, say through the Delaware Water Gap, the Catskills, northwestern Massachusetts or southern Vermont, then rejoin 95 north of Boston.

The northeastern equivalent of Highway 1 on the Pacific Coast is a crowded road with dense development until north of Portland, Maine. So would consider just staying on the interstate until you are north of Portland then take the coast road to your waypoint.

Then maybe head west through the White Mountains in New Hampshire and the Green Mountains of Vermont. There is a cool ferry ride from Burlington Vermont to New York State across Lake Champlain.

And of course, to the extent one likes Star Trek, there is the Star Trek Museum in Ticonderoga New York. This is something one couldn't make up. A guy who made a fortune as an Elvis impersonator in Vegas decided to recreate the original Star Trek set in an old grocery store. William Shatner is appearing there for his 90th birthday later this month.

So would continue west through the Adirondacks and then south and west through the Finger Lakes. After that Western New York turns billiard table flat so would suggest just making time on the interstate as the two lane roads are pretty boring. Buffalo is a more interesting town then people give it credit for.

There are some nice rides through the Ohio River Valley but they are mostly north-south and you are going west.

If you're interested in doing any of the above I'd be happy to suggest specific routes.

I'm quite certain Washington has much more to offer than I went through. The drive out to Neah Bay was great. I'm just a bit limited as to what I can stop to see. If I had a whole year, heck yea I'd fully explore all the states. That would be an amazing experience. Unfortunately, I do have to be a bit selective as to where I spend extra time. And I need to always have a day or two worth of buffer for days like today. I'm unlikely to get hardly any miles in tomorrow so that's going to eat up all the time I've managed to save so far.

I also appreciate your previous route suggestions. Sadly, I didn't read them until I was too far south. It's surprisingly difficult juggling the long riding days and getting lodging situated, and updating this thread, and the people talking to me over text messages, and getting enough sleep, etc. etc. etc. I tend to log onto the forum, update the thread, then log out and try to relax before going to bed.

WHOA! There's a Star Trek Museum in New York? With a recreated Original Series set?! And it looks like it's not far from the Mount Washington Auto Road, which I was hoping to head up while in the Northeast. I hope I can fit that into the schedule. It would be cool to get pictures of something like that! It looks like the Shatner tours are already sold out. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that. I will hopefully be there before then, but it all depends on what happens with my throttle woes.

I've spent a little time in the Amish Country in Ohio. There are definitely some nice roads in Ohio. I don't think I'll be able to head far south enough to enjoy them and still make decent time though. I plan to stop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because it's right there off I-90, which is where I'll likely be before heading up into Michigan.

Reactions: HiDesert and RME

·
Registered
599 Posts
@Itchytoe Never heard of that throttle thing. Didn't experience it either on my trip to Oregon (and back) either. Strange!

I don't know how things are in San Antonio, but up here (way up North in Dallas), all the dealers are closed on Mondays (and Sundays too).

I hope you can get things straightened out!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@Kraxmel Yep dealers are closed here today too. Open up at 10:30 tomorrow morning, so I guess I'm sleeping in. I've also never experienced it before. I even tried a little Google searching, but that came up with nothing. It's a new one to me. I suspect the sending unit that reads the throttle tube's position is somehow failing, but I'm just spitballing. It's weird for sure!

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,991 Posts
Something tells me any Triumph dealership worth their wheel weights will be eager to help you. Mention the people following you on the forum and spot - might help.

Hope you're still having fun despite the schedule pressure! I liked riding in Oregon a lot, but I sometimes wondered if the state motto was "Damaged road signs are cheaper than repairs!"

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hope you're still having fun despite the schedule pressure!
Absolutely! In fact, the schedule pressure is part of what makes it fun. It changes what I can and can't do. It adds a layer to the risk vs reward ratio for every decision. It's one of the primary reasons I like IBA rides. Figuring out how to do it, and how to deal with issues that pop up during these multi week rides is part of the excitement!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Shatner sold out already? If you go through Ticonderoga or nearby would be happy to do some of your ride with you and buy you lunch and beer. Which assumes my 955i part arrives on schedule and am back on the road.

The fact that the Star Trek Museum exists is definitely weird. Have been through twice, and each time had people from Japan, Germany, France, China, Nigeria, among other closer places, moved to tears. Generally older people... Have also wondered but didn't ask, e.g., "did you fly here from Nigeria primarily to see a recreation of original Star Trek set in what used to be a small grocery store?"

They actually did a web series with the Elvis impersonator doing Captain James T Kirk.

Keep posting. I need encouragement to do an epic ride before I can't .

And do recommend the Bennington to NY Ferry. It's Lake Champlain so you just park your bike on its side stand. No need to tie down.

·
Registered
599 Posts
@Kraxmel Yep dealers are closed here today too. Open up at 10:30 tomorrow morning, so I guess I'm sleeping in. I've also never experienced it before. I even tried a little Google searching, but that came up with nothing. It's a new one to me. I suspect the sending unit that reads the throttle tube's position is somehow failing, but I'm just spitballing. It's weird for sure!
D'oh, I completely had in my mind that today was Sunday. And, to think, I supposedly worked today too. Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Quick update: Triumph dealer took a look at it and they can’t find anything wrong. She is in great shape. No stored error codes and everything passes testing. There doesn’t seem to be a reason for any issues.

They did notice that the lock nut on the bottom of the brake lever pin is missing. One of the top hats in the AVS brake lever was missing too. That was causing enough play for the brake light to flicker when you fiddle with the lever. They think the brake flickers when riding which confuses the canbus system into thinking I’m trying to brake and throttle at the same time so it cuts throttle power. They are trying to see if they have a top hat or some other brake lever to fit in there and get it going again.

I remember installing that brake lever. It had both top hats when I installed it. I had a hard time getting them both in there so I remember it well. And I put the lock nut on there too. I had to get a wrench to tighten it. I know it was there. I might have been the unlucky guy to have someone borrow those parts from me at one of the hotels. I guess they must have put the lever back in to not draw attention.

Reactions: HiDesert
21 - 40 of 102 Posts