Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been discussed before, but the search feature just wouldn't help me. I know what the little clear lamp in the headlight assembly is for. I just want to know what size bulb it is -- the manual doesn't say.

I'm ordering a right-angle plug for the high-beam, and I thought I'd fiddle with some other electrical things on the bike at the same time.

TIA!

·
Registered
466 Posts
its a W5W bulb. supposedly it's a running light for the european bikes that don't have their headlights on at all times.

There is also the alarm LED wired into the light assembly. That will be the 2 wires coming out of the side of the case.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies, but W5W appears to be a rating, not a bulb size. Am I misunderstanding something?

I'm looking to order a replacement bulb and wondered what size to buy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Aske,
<BR>It definetly a W5W wedge lamp - I bought some nice blue LED types to replace mine.
<BR>On the original bulb itself is the following info
<BR>" OS12v*
<BR>2GL
<BR>W5Wn5z"
<BR>W = wedge
<BR>5 = millimetres (between contacts)
<BR>W = width
<BR>
<BR>Hope this helps
<BR>
<BR>PS - sometimes they are called a "T-10" base

[ This message was edited by: BallaRAT_ST1050 on 2007-01-21 20:34 ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, now I get it. Thanks for schooling me. :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
w5w spec alternatives

I'm looking to replace the position light and I get that it is a w5w bulb and Osram has them etc., but I wanted to use LED and I see two Luxeon's that look good and have a very bright Lumen rating.

There are two:

3156-xLX3 Luxeon LED bulb
Super Bright 3 Watt LED 12VDC replacement bulb
16mm Single Intensity Wedge Base

then there is the :

7440-xLX3 Luxeon LED bulb
Super Bright 3 Watt LED 12VDC - 15mm Single Intensity Wedge Base replacement bulb

What I don't know is whether these would work / fit. they are all wedge based bulbs but don't have a cross reference that sounds like W5w.

stumped?

thx
Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
w5w T10 Position Lamp Specs

Ok Thanks.

I think I have the complete list of specs for this bulb now. All are the same spec so supposedly the bulbs might be different but as long as the base confirms to one of the following it should work as the Position Light on the Sprints:

W5W
T10 (T-10)

I'm going for the :

http://www.ledshoponline.com/images/T10refractor.jpg

It's only a question of blue or white since I have PIAA bulbs that are slightly blue but mostly white and heard there are certain legal issues with something too blue I will go with white (which should be brighter anyway)

It is unfortunate I can't find a base that uses the Luxeon 3 or 5 watt LED bulb but I just can't seem to find a cross reference that matches the base specs listed above. I only want to do this once so a bulb is out of the question. LED once and forever and I won't ever have to muck with this light again.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Meeee Tooooo!

I was looking into LED's also. The superbrightLED sight has a lot of choices, but some of the bulb offerings are bigger than will fit back in the housing. I was able to replace the parking light in front w/ a 194 (WLED-B5) no problem. (US law states no blue or red lights on the front of a vehicle for they are reserved for emergency vehicles only)

I was thinking about going with the 921-A9 (i think that the A12 will be too big.) Let me know how it turns out.

kevin

·
Registered
182 Posts
This light is actually a parking light, UK law says that if you park on the street within 30 foot of a junction at night you must display a white light at the front and a red at the rear, these low wattage bulbs are supposed to meet the requirement without draining your battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts