Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what gives you that feeling? You know what I mean, that feeling. Let me give some examples:
- Wiping off the 3rd coat of wax off the tank. Looking at myself in a tank that looks like a bowl of black ink. Thinking " I have the only bike I would ever want. It's beautiful and can run the hell out of anything in this town.
Or:
- Coming through a situation that should have killed me. Thinking "any mortal would have let that car merge right into them. I was able to brake and swerve and avoid a situation. I am friggin good."
Or:
- Putting on a new bit that you ordered to improve the appearance of your ride. "That bit was expensive, but it is exactly what I wanted and makes this bike 100% mine."

You know, that feeling of total content. Where do you get it?

·
Registered
733 Posts
That feeling...

A full tank of gas, perfect weather, good road, no traffic and no time constraints. As I motor along enjoying the scenery and knowing I won't get a phone call, fax or e-mail, I just listen to the twin and rest assured that THIS is what I was designed and built for...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Some back roads, a good deep breath of fresh air, and going out finding more roads i didnt know existed... interesting to find the scenic areas where you never would have expected them (does help to have the GPS to get you back home if you get too into un-familiar territory).

·
Registered
826 Posts
i'll throw in a few..

-pulling off after a new performance tweak, the first time you really get on it and actually say "wow" out loud under your helmet.

-sitting at a deli and watching a few people to stop and admire your bike, turn to walk away, then come right back to look again.

-out with the boys, and the completely silent 6.4/3.2 seconds before all heck breaks loose(if you know, you know.;))

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here’s another.
In the apex of a sweeper, at about 120k, going downhill and the rear wheel slips, then grips. Whew. Only to slip again followed by the front. Thinking this is going to hurt.
Sliding sideways and off the road onto the grass. Running parallel with a farmer’s fence only to see a driveway ad right angles to the fence. Is there a ditch or a pipe? Can’t see with the knee high grass. And look there is a letterbox. Can I make it through the gap? Ye-Ha back on the road.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
.... Putting on a new bit that you ordered to improve the appearance of your ride. "That bit was expensive, but it is exactly what I wanted and makes this bike 100% mine."...
This is probably it for me - of course I love riding, but creating a piece of individuality is personally rewarding.
And having a Triumph - whether modded wildly, or mildly or not even at all! - is a fundamental part of that - having something that there aren't 4 others of, when you pull into a 'group' hangout on a Sunday ride.
The TL is more of the same in that respect. Neither is just another GSXR or R1

·
Registered
175 Posts
A: Shutting off my cell phone while my bike is warming up.

B: Having people walk past all my buddies Harleys to stop and ask a million questions about my Triumph.

C: Coming up over a hill and lofting the front just a few inches off the ground on the way back down the other side. That always brings a smile to my face.

·
Registered
149 Posts
getting road head on my bike .....

no for real. Um looking around me in the country to notice there is nothing around but me and cows and just blasting back the throttle till I can't see anymore and coasting back down to the speed limit......

I also love riding though twistys at dusk when its been warm in the country and feeling the temperature changes in pockets.

also the smells! Love that!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have this road..........

A long, uphill, 180 degree sweeper. Engine thumping, knee sliding, just pure perfection.

Yeah..... no thoughts about work....... no phone...... no email......just me and the road.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The howl of the bike with an Arrow 3-into-1 as you open it up in 5th at 6,000 RMM and let it go...
What a sound!
It gives me the giggles every time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Putting in 3.3L of fresh Mobil1 synthetic and lifting the front wheel off the pavement in 1st! and usually 2nd...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stepping off my bike after a 350 mile back highway session with friends turning around to admire my own piece of mechanical art and wishing I could do that every day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I gotta tell you. This is my first season on the Speedy and I get that feeling everytime I walk out to me bike and just look at it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 22 mile commute and rarely use my Starcom for radio/ipod/phone but one morning I'd been experimenting and I'd forgotten to remove the iPod, couldn't be arsed to disconnect so just plugged the helmet in, out of curiosity, and set off to the mundane selection I'd collected over the year.

12 miles in, the route switches to 3 miles of very fast dual carriageway, with no cameras. As I slingshot round onto the quick bit, Cream kicked in with Crossroads.

All seemed well with the universe.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the posts, guys. These make me smile when I read them. :HappyRoll:

I came up with a couple more:
- sitting on my porch after a 400 mile day in 95 deg heat and smoking a good cigar and drinking that first cold beer. Thinking about how bad my ass hurts.
- This one applies to my current situation -- standing in my garage on the 17th straight rainy day and cleaning my bike for the 37th time with McGuires and literally worrying that I'm gonna rub a hole in the paint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leaving work and not breaking eye contact with my bike until I toucht it. From there, the sound, the feel, the ride, the curves, the looks, they all give me that feeling. However, I hate the feeling when I close the door behind me, helmet in hand knowing that I can't sleep, eat, or procreate on my bike (while in motion at least).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts