Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just popped into my head a day or two ago that maybe if the flange around the bottom of the tank were black instead of whatever color the bottom of the tank is (if it's not black, obviously), it might not be so noticeable. I'm afraid it would be a rather costly affair to have a paint shop do it.

Has anyone done something to make that black?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not black, but I have used the chrome plastic door edge trim on my tank and it works great. I used 2 pieces and butted them up against each other them at the top of the tank in the front center so the its hardly noticable. really sets the tank off.

The door edge trim also comes in black.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Know what? I had the same thought and mocked it up with electrical tape to see the effect. It was definitely pretty effective at making the flange less noticeable. I pulled the tape off, tho...didn't want it to be permanent.

It's not fancy paintwork...have you thought about pulling the tank off, masking it, and zapping with the flange with some spray paint (flat black?)?

I also may try Motoleo's method with the car trim and see how that looks. I have some other mods in progress...maybe throw this into the mix.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I believe that FattRat used door trim to do the same thing.
He'll probably be along shortly.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Motoleo:

I can see the chrome on the flange. Someone else had mentioned that to me before, but I don't like that much flashiness myself; I even had the chrome engine covers & front sprocket cover on my T100 replaced by the brushed aluminum-finished ones. But you don't have the chrome strip down the center of the top of the tank, do you? I didn't see it. I did do that to mine, because the genuine article (the 60s Triumphs) had that. Sort of like putting on the fork gaiters and the rubber knee pads...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I did the black door edge molding on my 01 Bonnie's tank flange and really like the results. I don't even notice the flange anymore. It tends to blend in with the black frame at the front. tommyturbo2

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I did the black door trim on my T100 a while back. I did it with a single piece, starting at the left rear, around the goose neck, and back round the other side. I like the look. You can judge for yourself below:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Motoleo, thanks for a good suggestion that hadn't occurred to me. The first time the concept of putting something on the flange occurred to me, it presented itself as the same chrome strip material (it's 3M, by the way, and possibly available from other sources for far less, but I never explored that, nor do I intend to). Then after some tenths of a second I thought simultaneously of both paint and flat black electrical tape, but the door insulation tape never occurred to me. I had sort of surmised that tape wouldn't stick well enough to successfully accomplish the objective.

Sheepdog, thanks for posting the picture. I've already made my first unsuccessful attempt to upload a picture of my T100 after all the work into my album. It looks like you didn't apply the black to the full width of the flange; am I seeing things again? Oops - my voices said not to talk about that!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Bahkti:
Actually, I just had a bunch of some generic edge molding in the garage (I had used it on the edge of the windshield on my KLR) and tried it out. It doesn't not cover the entire flange, but it minimizes it enough that I have not been obsessing on it like before. If you can find some that is a little wider, I'm sure it will look better still. Below is a photo of how it looked before (ignore the red square...this photo was originally to show my idle mixture thumbscrews):

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've played with this too, but I settled on a different approach (after trying all the others). And for some reason unlike what one might expect, it works!

On my Black bike, I settled on some Gold pinstripe to match what I had done with the rest of the bike. Initially I put a double pinstripe along the edge, but removed one of the stripes and liked the single better.

On my current bike I used some leftover Gold pinstripe but will soon be replacing it with Black (the bike is Red). Somehow the addition of a thin stripe through the middle of the flange reduced it's perceived size. It adds a touch of class, while actually making the flange appear less conspicuous. I decided that my chrome trim only brought undue attention to the flange, and that the Black trim seemed to cheapen the bike.

Short of leaving the flange alone, subtle pinstripe did the trick for me. But I've found that different color bikes seem to respond differently to our little personal touches.
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts