Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked the looks of their hi-pipe 2into1 system,but not the sharp angle at the left exhaust port,nor the steep buy in. So I spent a few hours this weekend making my own one-off system.I used a more traditional looking exhaust spigot
and used a stock Thrux can for testing and fitting. I got a box full of "U" bends from this outfit,MagnumForce
and some odds and ends from other projects to put together a low buck system.Will probably make some sort of custom can,but for stealth use,even the stocker works.

:-D Happy New Year :-D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Geez Rod...sooner or later you are going to have to at least consider marketing your work! Honestly... you have a gift.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dog,thanks but no thanks. :-D I tried a couple versions for fun,but without a dyno and tuning expertise,I`d feel terrible if somebody smoked a motor running something I built. I did build an improved collector today to move the pipe in closer and made a baffled can with a homemade version of the BigCityThunder reversion insert.My short test ride says the BCT technology is for real.A deeper,fuller tone and improved midrange feel. Now I need to make a fiberglass sidecover to handle the heat and allow access to the fuse box without pulling the pipe. That is tomorrow`s project :-D

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2006-12-31 19:40, 04blackbonnie wrote:
Steve,
Man oh man, the exhaust looks good! Cheers, keep up the good work!!! :chug:

This Commando "S" is a beauty. I am the proud owner of a yellow 1972 Combat Commando that I put the "S" pipes on :-D . It is complete with Tommaselli Clipons and rear sets. What a hoot to ride.

Rod burner, as usual your work is The Coolness of Cool. Keep up the good work.

Steve, Gears and such

:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy:

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2007-01-06 19:40, rodburner wrote:
I tried a couple versions for fun,but without a dyno and tuning expertise,I`d feel terrible if somebody smoked a motor running something I built.
Great job Rod!

what kind of issues do you think might come up if you just did your own custom pipes? If you've already jetted to your particular silencers, should it be good? Or is it because the length of the headers are considerable shorter?

i only ask because i'm in the process of fabing up a custom exhaust that's laid out fairly similar to your new set up. you got me scared and I want to make sure I'm not going to burn out my motor...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mase,I don`t have any problem running a handmade system on my bike.I`m going to run my gutted and re-baffled shorty Thrux can, which I`ve been running to several thousand troublefree miles.My plugs are tan,no cold or hot running issues and 45-50mpg.I`m using my stock airbox and paper filter,120main jets,stock 40 pilot and Thrux needles with 2 shims each.I may fine tune the jetting if I do a dyno run and for sure if I make a airbox delete kit to utilize the pod filters I got from 5Bassman..So,go ahead and build your system.If it starts behaving funny,ask around here for advice based on your symptoms and do your re-jet.

:-D

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeff,my magnet test says steel and lots of it. :-D

I still haven`t decided the "right" position for that Honda front fender either. :mad: And that rear fender will be gone for sure when the Gunfighter arrives.[Christmas gift from the wife] :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Rod, your bike would look great with the "sweatmachine" lowered headlight mod, and a black headlight bucket.

just my .02, but I know you know how to chop up and weld the headlight brackets...

I dig the front fender, but maybe black?

good work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2007-01-08 17:46, rodburner wrote:
Mase,I don`t have any problem running a handmade system on my bike...
thanks, Rod, for the vote of confidence. I feel better now.
Wish me luck and I'll be sure to post it up when it's done!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There`s always a bit of luck involved with things of this nature.I`ve been pretty lucky with my pipe building so far.Both the high and low versions of the 2into1 gave a boost in the midrange where I hoped it would be. This newest pipe is even better than the first one.I haven`t gotten out on the highway to wind her up but it will straighten your arms out RIGHT NOW at lower revs.I`m no expert at exhaust dynamics so I had to do a little best guessing regarding the uneven header lengths.The shortest header is in a straight line to the end of the pipe.The longer one dumps into it as close to the port as I could get,which should result in a speeding up of the gasses at that point and in my mind makes the 2 pipes nearly equal in length at the muffler. And I can`t say enough good things about those pipe bends by MagnumForce. Beautiful mandrel bends,cheap [8 to 9 bucks each]and awesome shipping times. Now get out there and burn some rod!
Steve :-D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Rod, I'm thinking of making some custom pipes out of stock Thruxton cans, maybe shortening them, gutting them, and welding in a baffle.

Where can I get the baffles?

I went to the Big City Thunder site and they're like 80 bucks a pair! Is that where you got yours?

thanks as usual!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeff,the BCThunder things are not baffles so much as flow restricters.These are the baffles I like.baffles
I have tried just jamming them into straight pipe but they don`t seem to sound real good or baffle much for that matter.On my Thrux can,the baffle is welded to the end plate,leaving a 2+" opening,and is just hanging in space inside the can.This seems to allow the gasses a chance to collect and go thru the sides of the baffle,then out,instead of just blasting out.I also pinched the end into a star type pattern [not completely just a little] to direct the gas out into the body of the can.I like the sound..And be careful shrinking those cans.... a little goes a long way. :-D

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had another snow day today so got a bracket made to support the pipe,mounted the Honda front fender,scuffed it and the pipe with 320 grit,mounted the fiberglass sidecover and painted the wrapped portions of the headers.

:-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts