Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned home from Thanksgiving holiday at my parents house, which is about 3 hours west of New Orleans. When I got my Bonneville in 2004 my father was really happy with the bike, as he used to own a Bonneville "back in the day". I think this was around 1968 or so (he also owned a BMW R60 and a Moto Guzzi around that time. I digress.

It had been years since he last owned a bike, and my brand new Bonneville was enough to get him into wanting to ride again, so he started looking around. He found the Kawasaki W650, and began reading reviews. Later that year he bought a used one (a 2001) in showroom condition in Dallas. I never really paid much attention to it, as I already owned a "real Bonneville", or so I thought. Many of you guys who have owned pre-Hinckley bikes may think of this as fools talk, and I can understand this, but whatever.

Lately he has been suffering with spells of vertigo, and was ready to sell the W650, which has been sitting in his garage for the past year collecting dust. I cleaned it while in town, charged the battery, performed small maintenance, then decided to go for a ride. WOW!

The bike feels light, is more nimble than my T-100 on the twists, and has a kick start, and sounds beautiful. The seat is nicely cushioned and it runs perfectly. I told my father that I had such a blast driving the thing that I was actually considering selling my T100 and buying the 650 from him.

Listen to this (heartwarming, to me at least). He replied with "well just keep it then, that way you have a motorcycle when you come and visit. You wont be able to find a better deal on one than that"

So.....I just thought I'd write yall and let you know. I'm pretty excited, and can't wait to visit again. Attached is a photo of me and dad riding around in Cameron, Louisiana in the summer of 2005.
I have since removed the terrible saddle bags (they came with the bike) and the cheap Windjammer or whatever windshield (junk).

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You have a great father. Hopefully he'll get to feeling better so he can keep the W650 up and running for both of you to enjoy. Sounds like what he really wants is for you to visit more often, but you probably know that already. :)

·
29,948 Posts
Yes indeed - nice one. What a great guy - hopefully you can both get out and ride together - that makes for some good memories. I'm glad he has decided to keep the bike in the family.

·
Registered
271 Posts
cameron, la? how did the kwaker ever make it through the STORMS ? must be an act of GOD , hope your dad improves and gets back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts