Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the dealer confirmed , can't install the Xpipe as the TFC 's got a welded in CAT , so it's full header replace .. Pass.

send that one back

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Well the dealer confirmed , can't install the Xpipe as the TFC 's got a welded in CAT , so it's full header replace .. Pass.

send that one back
Bummer:frown2:
Does the dealer know why they've changed the design?
I wonder if the new Thruxton RS is the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah Crap and I'm pretty sure Santa is getting me a new x-pipe. I will probably go with the scorpions because
it's just too quiet and I'd rather not hack-saw the stock setup.

send that one back

·
Registered
914 Posts
Did you get down there and look for yourself. So many salesmen are just sales and don’t much about the things they sell.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
How would you be able to pull the exhaust system off if the cat has been welded to the exhaust system???

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You remove the header and cat apparently . A&J has used the arrow headers with the TFC , and they confirmed they will work with the V&H . THe V&H have welded in baffles so they will be a bit quieter than the arrow .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You remove the header and cat apparently . A&J has used the arrow headers with the TFC , and they confirmed they will work with the V&H . THe V&H have welded in baffles so they will be a bit quieter than the arrow .
just ordered a set , the V&H silencers are a bit quieter per Andy at A&J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to Triumph Rat. I own Thruxton TFC #107 and you can indeed install a x-pipe you only need purchase the mid-pipes between the cat/x-pipe and the mufflers from the Thruxton/R model not the headers. I got mine off of EBay and installed the x-pipe at the same time. Just an FYI for fellow TFC owners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to Triumph Rat. I own Thruxton TFC #107 and you can indeed install a x-pipe you only need purchase the mid-pipes between the cat/x-pipe and the mufflers from the Thruxton/R model not the headers. I got mine off of EBay and installed the x-pipe at the same time. Just an FYI for fellow TFC owners.
Can you confirm... just Xpipe and mid-pipes? No need to swap headers or Silencers?

Any cutting involved?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You should get Peter at Meerkat involved in this discussion. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet he has an answer to this matter...and I'd guess further that its simpler and less expensive that what you'll get from any Triumph dealer.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Can you confirm... just Xpipe and mid-pipes? No need to swap headers or Silencers?

Any cutting involved?
I'm not a TFC owner but from what I understand the mid pipes are welded to the rear exit of the cat on the TFC, so if you remove the cat the mid pipes will come with it and you'll have to fit two new mid pipes together with the x pipe decat.
The other option is fitting arrow headers which fit directly to the silencers.
I think that's right.

Reactions: thomasssam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Listed is the supplies needed to perform X-pipe install on Thruxton TFC. Also some pics of my TFC post install. No cutting needed, you remove welded cat/mid pipes and install mid-pipes and X-pipe of your choice from a 2016-2019 Thruxton/R. I used a Motone X-pipe no particular reason. Silencers fit up no issues.

2016 Triumph Thruxton R Parts - Best OEM Parts Diagram for 2016 Triumph Thruxton R

1x T2203745 #7 on parts listing link above
1x T2203747 #8 on parts listing
2x T2202151 #27 on parts listing
2x T2202153 #30 on parts listing
2x T2201428 #31 on parts listing

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stopped by the shop , they've installed the Arrow race headers, clipped the cross pipe and welded it up with new O2 sensors , then a PCV and a few hours on the dyno . Clean , with a great growl with the V&H cans . uncorrected dyno attached Dyno 20200118.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really helpful @Johnnyregal, thanks for this.
Did you do the job yourself or workshop - approx how long did it take?

I see video's dropping the CAT out but assume it's a little harder with the mid-pipes welded to the CAT - does the whole frame rail need to be removed I wonder?

Any issues with Fuelling after?

And finally.... was it worth it?!!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did performed the job myself in my garage. It requires common hand tools (open-ended wrenches, Allen keys, socket set) you will also want a rear stand because the left side frame rail does have to be completely removed since the cat and mid-pipes are welded. Seat, fuel tank, header pipes also need removal. The job is fiddly and you have to take your time to protect parts from scratches and such but it isn't difficult per say. Fueling isn't an issue, once the job is complete, start the bike let it idle without touching the throttle until the fan comes on and off that allows the O2 sensors collect new oxygen levels and the injection system will adjust the adaptations to support the increased gas flow. I have the X-pipe, air box snorkel removed, and the rear most baffle removed from the mufflers without any lean running issues.

Lastly, was it worth it? I feel it was, the sound post cat is fantastic yet not too loud (89db at idle 98-100db at 4000 rpm) so if you have strictly enforced noise laws that is a concern. I'm at 2100 miles on bike and plan dyno runs soon but seat of the pants I'm completely pleased with it.

Last lastly I got my mid-pipes off of EBay from a gent that went to black exhaust so that's away to keep costs down.

Wordy I apologize, any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Johnnyregal I presume it was safe taking off the left frame rail completely with the bike on a rear paddock stand... I have visions of the engine dropping out!:eek:.

In order to get the left frame rail off, I think one has to disconnect the side stand cable as the side stand is attached to the rail directly?

I'll probably just look to do the x-pipe first. I did consider doing the baffles as looking at it, it just looks like having to drill out the 3 weld spots on the inside of the end can? They only look to be about an inch long cylinder so I wonder if it's even that effective as a baffle or if it's just to satisfy the regulators that it has 'something' there. Either way, it's more visible so I'll leave that for a final step... and if the xpipe does increase DB sufficiently, the removal of baffle might be the bit that tips them into that undesirable attention seeking bracket!!?‍♂

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Johnnyregal I presume it was safe taking off the left frame rail completely with the bike on a rear paddock stand... I have visions of the engine dropping out!:eek:.

In order to get the left frame rail off, I think one has to disconnect the side stand cable as the side stand is attached to the rail directly?

I'll probably just look to do the x-pipe first. I did consider doing the baffles as looking at it, it just looks like having to drill out the 3 weld spots on the inside of the end can? They only look to be about an inch long cylinder so I wonder if it's even that effective as a baffle or if it's just to satisfy the regulators that it has 'something' there. Either way, it's more visible so I'll leave that for a final step... and if the xpipe does increase DB sufficiently, the removal of baffle might be the bit that tips them into that undesirable attention seeking bracket!!?‍♂
Yeah the side stand will come off with the engine rail so you would need to disconnect the wiring to the side stand switch. Also your baffling maybe different with a UK bike. Mine was a plate visible down the rear of the silencer I just took a 7/8 inch stepper drill bit and drilled it. But yeah X-pipe first cause it will wake up the sound for sure.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts