Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The usual 21 mile commute, approach fast bit, picking out gap in traffic for smooooth transition onto dual carriageway, ease off throttle for roundabout, flick left, then right, sensory confusion, why am I looking at the sky? After realising I haven't been run over 17 times and all limbs seem ok so I nip down road to recover bike, curious about damage.

To my great relief, the bike (christened Clint by anthropomorphizing wife) had contrived to balance itself on its R&G Aero bobbin as it slid down the road. The sum total damage is one totalled rear brake pedal and one off-side bobbin. Best £160 spent on this bike, although the Triumph want £62 for a new brake pedal.

The morning commuters were surprisingly caring; 3 came over to see how I was and everyone stopped. One suggested I purchase a Lottery ticket on the way home.

It appeared to be some diesel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Very happy you were not injured!

Yes, the sliders work well and save lots of costly damage. You must live in a nice town. The commuters here would beat you up for getting in their way. Well maybe not, but you could expect some harsh words a few single finger salutes.

I bet there are quite a few member of this forum who have tested out the sliders. I have. It makes a good excuse to replace parts like clutch and front brake levers with Pazzo's. :)

Regards
Larry

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good think you are alright. I put a slew of sliders and gaurds on my bike after i got to test out the bikes natural protection against falling over... twice..... Have any pics of how the gear looks after the incident? Roughly how fast do you think you were going.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually go through the roundabout at around 40mph, I was cranked over so I didn't have far to fall! I'm embarrassed to admit I've done it before a few times over the years. It never fails to surprise me how far apart bike and body separate. Fortunately for both of us, neither clouted the high kerbs or street furniture.

On close inspection I can see scuff marks on the front tyre where it gave up on me.

The bung was ground down by about 20mm/4/5", no marks whatsoever on bar ends, footrests, fork ends, fuel tank or rear, slight scuffs on front brake lever, belly pan and clutch case (another 3m would've done for it). The bung and rear brake pedal took the brunt of the slide. The bung appears to be near the c of g of the bike so it was well balanced between it and the pedal. Triumph want £62 for a new pedal kit, at the next service I'll replace the clutch cover (£120). A new bung "kit" is £32.

I'm afraid I've already pulled off the damaged bits and ordered their replacements + every other possible protection,including rad guards.

I had a Hein Gericke 2 piece textile suit, pretty heavily armoured and a pair of AGV Sports boots that got a bit of a bashing; scrubbed pants, torn sleeve and badly scraped right boot. I nearly didn't put the boots on, glad I did. Helmet and gloves didn't touch down.

I now have a stiff leg, some light, scattered bruises and a hefty mobile phone shaped bruise on my hip. It's the last time I carry it there! Your concern is heart-warming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts