Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a basketcase 66 T120R ( which is a bit of a stretch for my limited skills) ! . The bike came with an old wiring harness which although original looks to be in good condition so if possible I would like to reuse it.

Whats the recommended way to test this off the bike - and do I need to jumper the wires going into the ignition and lighting switches in some way.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The only thing you can really do with the harness off the bike is to rest each wire for continuity to ensure that there are no breaks.

If the insullation looks at all brittle, it would not be advisable to re-use the loom, as you will have short or open circuit issues in the future.

If you do want to test it, you will need the correct wiring diagram and a tester of some kind. Best to buy a low cost multimeter with a continuity buzzer.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
If you intend to ride the bike a lot, I'd be tempted to renew the harness.

That's not to say that the old one might be duff, but it's hard to tell, and a work hardened corner could go at any time, leaving you stranded. The terminations can also go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had a hard starting t140. I did everything I could think of to make it reliable (avoiding the harness because it wasn't in bad shape) but nothing really helped. I broke down this winter bought a harness it was under $200 it was 7 hours of work getting it on. All the starting gremlins were gone. You can probably resurrect the old harness but with a basket case you already have a big enough project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts