Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a 1600 standard bike and it had shorty pipes which sounded great and now I'm thinking I'd prefer this bike over the rocket. I'm looking at a storm, but on my test ride the inside of my crotch was in pain after about 10 miles of keeping my legs in. If I let them go natural, I feel like I'm splaying them out really too far - perhaps I'm too flexible. Is this something you get used to, or is there a way to help this? Is it possible to move the pegs and controls back towards the rider more? I've never owned a cruiser or bike with forward controls, so I don't know how common this inner thigh pain is. :)

I also wanted to know if they are discounting the storm at all, or should I just expect to pay msrp? could i likely get free accessories thrown in like shorty tors?

Lastly my dealer said they won't get more bikes in until october, at which point here in ny, there is no point in buying it this year. do dealers deal swap bikes at all? I'd prefer to buy it locally. Anyone know of a matte Black storm for sale in the upstate ny/ ma/ri area?

Cheers.

·
Banned
530 Posts
you get used to it unless your a short arse . I guess your coming from a sporty type thing then? Erganomics you settle into. There are no after market peg changes yet either extending fwd controls or indeed moveing them back even tho I have seen a custum job where the pegs had been moved under the rider.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I had the exact same problem when i got my first cruiser in '05, a speedmaster. The leg thing that is. They would get tired and i felt like i was expending a lot of energy keeping them in with my leg muscles. It was torture. It did stop eventually and now i have no issues with that, but i won't lie to you, it took quite a while. I'd say tolerable by several months and took probably a year or more to be completely over it. YMMV tho. I really can't see it being as big a pain as it is to you now for too long, as you become less conscious of it after a time even before it goes away. But i had that bad, so i know exactly what you mean. Worth ever moment of it tho, especially the Tbird. You will get that at first with any cruiser if you like me are prone to it. Doesn't bother some.

As for cost, you should be able to get a pretty good discount. I would say an out the door total cost of MSRP plus $700 at least. Thats what you can get in my area anyways, tho there is completion with 5 or 6 dealers within a 80 mile diameter. But you have to know how to play them and not let them screw with you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got the floorboards, it allows you to bring your feet farther back, they also seem to give a little more cornering clearance. No leg pain, comfortable to ride for long periods with no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went from riding a sport bike to a Thunderbird 1600 with ABS, and yes it does feel a lot different riding a cruiser than a sport bike. As far as the price goes you should be able to talk them down. I was able to get my 2011 Thunderbird ABS and 2 tone paint down to $13,500 out the door with tax and dealer fees, also was able to get the dealer to throw in the long haul package (roadster windshield, longhaul touring seat, and sissy bar) in for that price. I could have also got the Storm for the same price minus the longhual package.
Best of luck and hope you are able to get a great deal on your Tbird.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Why were you trying to hold your legs together? Did you look at your legs at all while you were riding the Thunderbird? They may have felt miles apart because you are used to a sport bike, but I guarantee you they were right next to the tank. It is a different seating position. You just have to get used to it. Your legs will sit naturally next to the tank, and you won't have to hold them there. That is the entire point of a cruiser....to just sit there relaxed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I went from riding a sport bike to a Thunderbird 1600 with ABS, and yes it does feel a lot different riding a cruiser than a sport bike. As far as the price goes you should be able to talk them down. I was able to get my 2011 Thunderbird ABS and 2 tone paint down to $13,500 out the door with tax and dealer fees, also was able to get the dealer to throw in the long haul package (roadster windshield, longhaul touring seat, and sissy bar) in for that price. I could have also got the Storm for the same price minus the longhual package.
Best of luck and hope you are able to get a great deal on your Tbird.
Dtbird, what did your bike msrp at? They will only do $1100 off the storm and 15% off accessories.. Is that any good? It sounds like you got more like $2000 off?!

I went and rode it today.. It's great! I think the price over the 1600 is worth it for the hp and I love the headlights. I still had mega crotch muscle pain, but. I can mitigate it by putting my heels up or feet on the back pegs.

I guess it's deal time..! Let me know what a fair price off the bike is.. With 2012's coming they should be dropping, but that won't be till october or so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why were you trying to hold your legs together? Did you look at your legs at all while you were riding the Thunderbird? They may have felt miles apart because you are used to a sport bike, but I guarantee you they were right next to the tank. It is a different seating position. You just have to get used to it. Your legs will sit naturally next to the tank, and you won't have to hold them there. That is the entire point of a cruiser....to just sit there relaxed.
I am pretty flexible, so my legs really splay open, it looks stupid! :) I found I could rest my heels on the pegs, or put them back on the passengers pegs, so that is ok I guess.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am pretty flexible, so my legs really splay open, it looks stupid! :) I found I could rest my heels on the pegs, or put them back on the passengers pegs, so that is ok I guess.
Don't worry about how you look. It may seem odd that your legs are splayed out as you say, but I'm sure you look just fine on the bike. Don't put your heals on the pegs. Slide your boot forward on the pegs until the front side of your heals butts up against the pegs. Your heals should hang off the back of the pegs. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dtbird, what did your bike msrp at? They will only do $1100 off the storm and 15% off accessories.. Is that any good? It sounds like you got more like $2000 off?!

I went and rode it today.. It's great! I think the price over the 1600 is worth it for the hp and I love the headlights. I still had mega crotch muscle pain, but. I can mitigate it by putting my heels up or feet on the back pegs.

I guess it's deal time..! Let me know what a fair price off the bike is.. With 2012's coming they should be dropping, but that won't be till october or so.
My Thunderbird had an MSRP at $13,799. I was able to get them to take off $1449 but I still had to pay the dealer fees and documentation fees which brought the price to $13,500 and then they included the Longhaul package which was listed at $1360. So overall I saved about $2,800. I forgot when I put this in last time that I did pay the tax on the $13,500.
Now is the time to probably to get some of the best deals on a 2011 since the 2012's are going to coming out this fall. I hope your dealer is willing to work with you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far they're nor really willing to take off anything but the $500 shipping charge..

I may start to look for used or just wait till mid winter. :(

·
Registered
701 Posts
A little late joining this conversation. I too am looking to buy a t-bird at the optimal time to get the best price. Though I've not decided between the standard bike and the Storm I am sold on the 1700, which right now means a Storm or BB kit installation. By waiting until next spring to buy I'm wondering if the 2012 models will all come standard with the 1700 engine. If so, waiting for the 2012 model is both good and bad for me. That is, I would get the bike I want with the 1700 standard but likely at a higher price. Any thoughts on my thinking or lack thereof.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A little late joining this conversation. I too am looking to buy a t-bird at the optimal time to get the best price. Though I've not decided between the standard bike and the Storm I am sold on the 1700, which right now means a Storm or BB kit installation. By waiting until next spring to buy I'm wondering if the 2012 models will all come standard with the 1700 engine. If so, waiting for the 2012 model is both good and bad for me. That is, I would get the bike I want with the 1700 standard but likely at a higher price. Any thoughts on my thinking or lack thereof.
I believe the 2012 Storms will come Standard with ABS, which will notch the price up a bit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ergonomics without knowing your measures?

How can you all write about ergonomics without relating to height and inseam? A 5'3" person needs a completely different bike than that for a 6'5". Which one are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know if you can put the Givis or any of the other hard bags on the Thunderbird. I am considering one but I would want hard bags and a trunk on it. I'd like a fairing but I don't think that is going to happen.

I'm 73 y/o and have reached the point where the big touring bikes are hard for me to handle. I really don't like riding the trike but I can handle the cruisers because of the low seat on them. I'm considering the Kawasaki Voyager and the Road Star by Yahama along with the Thunderbird. All things being equal I'd pick the Triumph because of its handeling traits. I don't think you get much bang for the buck with a Harley but I'm open minded even on that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts