Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I rode my Street Triple 115 miles (one way) to my "local" Triumph dealer for the Open House. I test rode an 09 Daytona and loved it. I have a question and a couple comments about the bike.

Question: My Street Triple clunk like no other when I shift from 1st to second, and little clunks on every other gear. The Daytona is like BUTTER!!! I shifted from 1st to 2nd on the Daytona expecting a clunk... NOTHING! I didn't even know I had shifted. On my Striple I can easily feel when the tranny goes from 1st to N then to 2nd. I felt nothing on the Daytona. I want to know why the Daytona shifts so smooth compared to my bike. Any Ideas?

Comments: Great bike. Kind of cramped for me at 6'2". Very fast and very stable at higher speeds, 70 MPH feels like 25 MPH. Beautiful looks, best looking 600 class bike I've ever seen. Not as much low end grunt as the Striple, can't wheelie like a Striple :D. All around great bike but small for my size. I'll wait for a Triumph liter bike. Oh, and the tranny is SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH!

·
Registered
62 Posts
open house.

I demoed a street triple R and it was real fun, would I buy one? No, not real practical, but fun. I was also wondering about the clunk in shifting. They did have a sweet looking anniversary ed. speed 3 that was hot looking, and a black daytona which was not available for a demo :( I know this does not answer your question but wanted to include it.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
That Daytona didn't happen to have the optional quick-shifter installed, by any chance? Those are tied in to the ECU, and are said to make shifting very slick.

I'm also thinking that I read somewhere that Triumph had tweaked the gearbox a little on the '09s for improved shifting, too, but I can't find that reference right now. If that's the case, then it may account for some of the difference you noticed.

And finally, is it possible that your shift linkage might need a little adjustment? I haven't had a problem with that on my Street, but my Speed Triple was notoriously touchy in that regard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I demo's the Daytona yesterday at a demo-day as well and found it to shift like butter. Then again, I also think my Striple R shifts like butter compared to my old FZ6 which had the clunkiest gear box I've ever felt. All in all, I think Triumph did a good job with sorting out this gear box. I didn't notice really any difference in the shift feal between the Daytona and the Striple.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I demo-ed an "R" yesterday and the gearbox was smooth as silk. I talked to a guy that's been demo-ing both the Daytona and the Striple and he said that the 09s gearbox had been upgraded and was much nicer to shift.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been thinking about it and I hear that they use conventional oil during break in. Could this be what makes it so smooth? I changed my own oil saturday with Triumph Mobil 1 15-50, does anyone use a semi-synthetic or convetional on thier bike? I will check the linkage tomorrow. I don't think it had a "quick-shifter" on it, pretty sure it was completly stock with about 140 mile on the odometer. I will keep you updated if I find a solution.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
"I hear that they use conventional oil during break in. Could this be what makes it so smooth?"

No, just the opposite in most people's experience. In every Triumph I have owned, I noticed a distinct improvement in shifting after the switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The new Daytona shift forks have a super hard/smooth molybdenum coating that's supposed to improve feel.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading in my Striple for a Daytona.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I ve had 2 Hinkley Bonnies and a Sprint and the ST3. The ST3 is easily the "clunkiest", yet when my Kawasaki riding friend returned from a ride on the ST3 the second thing he said after "I want one", was "how smooth is the gear box" . I guess its all relative.
:confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took my 08 D675 for first service today and dropped the 09 D675 loaner back I have to say 09 box is slicker, might be milage issue 500 on mine, 1000 on the 09.

Triumph run fully synthetic from new, pretty sure this applies to all their newer bikes.

I have a clunk from first to second more noticeable when oil is cold and if I change at relatively slow speed the clunk makes me cringe, change from say 40 mph to 2nd and it goes in nice, not practical in town. My TT was the same.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
"...fully synthetic from new"... nope! The run-in oil is only partly synthetic. Any dealer putting in full synthetic during assembly risks causing warranty problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts