Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you have not been following this.

Link:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2012/09/23/ten-reasons-to-care-that-e15-ethanol-is-on-the-way-to-your-gas-station/

In August, the U.S. Court of Appeals rejected a challenge by automakers and other groups seeking to overturn the EPA’s previous approval of E15 automotive fuel containing 50% more ethanol. Brought forth by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, Global Automakers, the Grocery Manufacturers Association and the petroleum industry, the suit charged that the provision would likely cause a “concrete” and “imminent” injury to any automaker, refiner or food processor. The majority opinion held by Chief Justice David Sentelle and Judge David Tatel, found that the petitioners lacked standing to sue, arguing that refiners and food producers are not injured because EPA is merely giving refiners the “option” to switch from E10 to E15…not a requirement to do so. Yet in practical terms, this is a distinction without any difference, since increased use of ethanol mandated by the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) will essentially force them to do so.

The Energy and Security Act requires that a certain amount of “renewable” fuel must be introduced into the market each year, an amount that will rise to 36 billion gallons in 2022. EPA regulations identify petroleum refiners and importers as “obligated” parties to bring this about. The only way to meet this arbitrary quota is to add more ethanol made from corn to the mix…an additional 7 billion gallons annually.

So what does this mean to you? Possibly more than you realize. Let’s consider a few reasons why.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I know my Honda VFR owner's manual specifically states the the use of any fuel blend higher than 10% ethanol will damage the engine and it is a 2005, contrary to what the EPA thinks. I believe my Triumph manual says it too. I had my chainsaw rebuilt due to the ethanol destroying the engine, only to have it happen again. Of course, it wasn't until the second time around that I found out what caused it. I also suspect it's the cause of the damage to my Yamaha IT125 top end too.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
WE ARE ABOUT TO HAVE A BACON SHORTAGE BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CORN TO FEED THE PIGS!!!!

THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM PEOPLE! :mad:

I know this idea will never go over because it just makes too much sense, but Mr. Big Government, can't we just feed the pigs the corn and leave it out of our gas tanks? I promise it will make everyone happier... Well, almost everyone. :D

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
All of my vehicles will be toast...this will destroy thousands and maybe millions of auto engines.....what to do...what to do in the next 4-5 weeks to prevent this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
More crapanol for the masses. Just another way to spur the economy. Burn our internals so we have to replace them sooner.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only issue with ANY Corn grown by commercial growers is all of the Genetically Modified Organism IE: GMO that are now part of the Corn's chemical make up. People are not wanting to eat anything with GMO thus people buying less Commercial Meats,Veggies and such all of the time. (Sorry a whole other issue).

This issue is so huge and Bigger Government in the back pocket of Monsanto is everybody's enemy now.

Now this Ethanol Fuel issue our Government is making Outlaws out of it's own citizens. Back to Distilling out own Fuel anybody? Can an old Vintage Bike run on Moonshine?

As a friend told me on our bikes with these new Ethanol Fuels we will be having to run lower compression pistons and retarding the timing so there is no pinging just to make them run. Oh then on the older bikes there is the Carb Float issues(AMAL did come out with the upgrade kits thank goodness).

It is just one unending struggle but struggle on we will.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
We ought to do a "Million Man Ride In" to Washington... Come on guys! Who's with me? I think there is some nice roads between here and D.C. :D
I'm with you. When do we leave?

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everybody needs to be contacting your Senators and Representatives in Congress and your State and Local Motorcycle Advocacy Groups about this. Call them,write handwritten or typed letters,no emails because they only give a canned response back to you.

Even the Boat and Watercraft Advocacy Groups are doing the same thing at this time. We cannot just lay over and let this happen.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm no fan of ethanol in my gasoline, but E15 is being offered up as ANOTHER choice to E10, straight gas, and as Ownebrau pointed out, diesel. It is dispensed from clearly marked pumps in a 4 gallon minimum.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that E85 has been out for quite some time...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
As a friend told me on our bikes with these new Ethanol Fuels we will be having to run lower compression pistons and retarding the timing so there is no pinging just to make them run.
I think your friend may have his facts wrong on that one. Ethanol actually helps prevent premature detonation. Back when I built my 200hp turbo Miata there were lots of guys on the Turbo miata forum that were running E85 and very high boost, which translates into high compression, with great success.

I never tuned mine for E85 because it was not widely available in the Birmingham area, I did however add toulene to the tank in the summertime.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
The Koenigsegg CCXR gets around a 26% hike in power when run on E85 rather than premium gas. It is, of course, tuned for E85 and I'm sure that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'm no fan of ethanol in my gasoline, but E15 is being offered up as ANOTHER choice to E10, straight gas, and as Ownebrau pointed out, diesel. It is dispensed from clearly marked pumps in a 4 gallon minimum.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that E85 has been out for quite some time...
On a recent trip to Colorado we found a number of stations offering E15 alongside E10.

I simply chose the E10.

I also went out of my way looking for stations that serve no ethanol gasoline, like Sinclair.

1 - 20 of 287 Posts