Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a temperature gauge on a Trophy? Mine is a 96 Trophy 900. Still looking for a right hand fairing side panel. The big bit with vent holes.

UK

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I installed this one in the right side trim panel in the blank area behind the little cubby box. I used the matching Stewart Warner sender too. The sender replaces the idiot light sender that is located in the head on the left side of the 4 cylinder engine, I'm not sure if the triple's is in the same place. A word of caution, The Stewart Warner sender is 1/8" NPT but the head is drilled and tapped for 10mm x 1.0mm. It is very close 1/8" NPT and the SW sender's NPT threads can easily be chased with a metric die effectively changing it to the metric size that will then screw into the head without damaging the original threads. The SW sender is also a bit too long so I used an aluminum spacer from the hardware store. You will also need a sealing washer as used originally. I chose the Stewart Warner because the chrome bezel, the black face, the white needle and numbers matched the other gauges pretty well. Temp runs about 160° - 190° depending on ambient temp and traffic with it climbing to 220° - 230° on a hot day with a lot of stop and go. Fan will drop it to 220° at that point. - Pete

http://www.partdeal.com/gauges/temperature/water-temp-gauges/stewart-warner-water-temp-gauge-100-280-f-electric-chm-bezel-82307.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o3&scid=scplp77160500&sc_intid=77160500&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgdO766be4wIViZ6fCh2YjwvOEAQYAyABEgJomvD_BwE

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed this one in the right side trim panel in the blank area behind the little cubby box. I used the matching Stewart Warner sender too. The sender replaces the idiot light sender that is located in the head on the left side of the 4 cylinder engine, I'm not sure if the triple's is in the same place. A word of caution, The Stewart Warner sender is 1/8" NPT but the head is drilled and tapped for 10mm x 1.0mm. It is very close 1/8" NPT and the SW sender's NPT threads can easily be chased with a metric die effectively changing it to the metric size that will then screw into the head without damaging the original threads. The SW sender is also a bit too long so I used an aluminum spacer from the hardware store. You will also need a sealing washer as used originally. I chose the Stewart Warner because the chrome bezel, the black face, the white needle and numbers matched the other gauges pretty well. Temp runs about 160° - 190° depending on ambient temp and traffic with it climbing to 220° - 230° on a hot day with a lot of stop and go. Fan will drop it to 220° at that point. - Pete

http://www.partdeal.com/gauges/temperature/water-temp-gauges/stewart-warner-water-temp-gauge-100-280-f-electric-chm-bezel-82307.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o3&scid=scplp77160500&sc_intid=77160500&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgdO766be4wIViZ6fCh2YjwvOEAQYAyABEgJomvD_BwE
Thank you RB

UK

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I wanted to retain my temperature idiot light (sometimes I'm an idiot), so I installed a Koso adapter in the upper radiator hose. I see that you can now get similar adapters very cheaply on Amazon. I installed the gauge in the right hand fairing cowl and most non-Triumph people assume it is factory.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The Sprint of that vintage has a temp gauge. You might look in to how that one is done. ...J.D.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used a Trail Tech temp gauge. I cut the one coolant hose and it spliced in. When the battery dies in the gauge, I'll use the hose splice to fit up an electric gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts