Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer I checked out the operation of the coolant temp light in the T-Bird. I found that the sensor is bad and the light would not come on when grounding it to the body unless the temp trigger/wires were moved around which leads me to believe there is a bad connection in the temp trigger. The coolant light has never come on.

Knowing that there is a grounding issue with these bikes (for the coolant light) my question is does the fix for the ground issue clear up what is happening with the temp trigger. In other words did Triumph realize that the temp trigger was manufactured with a poor connection and the fix works around it instead of replacing the entire harness? The wire that can be "wiggled" and make the light come on when grounded is on the bike side not the instrument side (of the temp trigger) and from memory I believe it is the ground wire going into the trigger.

I am set to order the sensor and do the ground fix but want to make sure that the harness does not need to changed out.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The temp light trigger is buried in the wiring harness, so if you've got an intermittant condition it's most likely at a connector in the headlight.

Check for a backed-out connector pin, corrosion or a separated connector.

Jim
Thanks for the reply Jim. I did isolate the problem to a poor connection within the temp trigger itself....

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jim. I did isolate the problem to a poor connection within the temp trigger itself....
Thats why we let Jimmy hang out here!:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts