Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the oil temp gauge from "New Bonneville" yet?

It's pricey, but I idled along for an hour in traffic today and I'd like to know how hot my bike is getting, so I might give it a try.

If you've got it, let me know how you like it, and how well it works.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't have it, but this week I talked to a guy at a dealer who had a T100 with the temp gauge and he said he really liked it. He said he could watch how long his bike took to warm in at various outdoor temps and knew when he was completely warmed up. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have temp and pressure gauges. My bike runs kinda hot, always suspected it, and I was right! Not sure why, maybe just one of those things... Someday I'll get brave and take it apart and find a piece of a rag or something...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the Temp gauge on my Speedmaster, and I like being able to see what temp the bike is running at. It usually runs between 150 and 200 in southern California weather. It appears to work nicely; all though a little hard to read at speed, but great when you stop. I would recommend the gadget.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I just got mine too and asked at the dealer what normal operating temp is for these engines and he didn't know. It has been about 15-20 C here and I'm reading 90-100.
What are you guys showing ???

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I just got mine too and asked at the dealer what normal operating temp is for these engines and he didn't know. It has been about 15-20 C here and I'm reading 90-100.
What are you guys showing ???

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have the crankcase temperature guage too, got it from Brent at newbonneville.com. Recently, on a trip of about 160 miles I observed maximum temperature at just under 200 degrees, cruising at 75-80 mph into a strong headwind, with the ambient temperature about 80 degrees. At an idle, sitting in Wichita traffic, it got up to about 210. Easy riding around town after about 30 minutes it gets up to about 140. We'll see what the summer brings. tommyturbo2

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I concur with the above....

My crankcase temperature was read by a hand held jobber at the local Duc' shop one day, SPOT ON with my temp' gage!

I too observed an operating temperature at just under 200 degrees, but during an afternoon of dragging elbows on an uphill (race) course, it got up to about 210.

I took note of the temp's upon setting out for a ride this brisk early morning. It hovered at 100 but eventually climbed to 150 at the ten mile mark. I then looked down and saw it never get above 180 on the freeway. When I started misbehaving, it made it's way toward 190-200.

I wish it were eye level so I could learn under what conditions I create the most engine heat..... neat toy though; I especially like the ease of installation. :-D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have one too and experience similar temperatures to everyone else here. It amazes me how well the bike keeps the heat after switching off.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
They are good stuff. I have had one for a good while and it works great. Really nic eot know the oil temp - just in case!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thankyou gentlemen. I have located the problem here. I suppose because we are metric up here in god's country; Brent shipped me a guage reading in "C" NOT "F". My 90-100 reading would be 200-220 F.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Guess I better get one of those temp. gauges. I have a no-touch temp gauge that is use at work. It should give me the exact temp at idle of the oil cooler & lines. I will try that. Bob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts