Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation: departing for trip to Moab in 2.5 weeks. :D
Desire: use saddlebags instead of tailbag, thereby making it much easier to get on and off motorcycle.;)
Problem: saddlebags that worked with YZF600R will touch the CF high mount exhaust. :mad:
Proposed solution: mount a bar that runs from the muffler mount to the turn signal, thereby holding saddlebag away from the muffler, no matter how much I load it down, or how much the wind tries to move it. Here's the work in progress:

·
Premium Member
17,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here it is with the saddlebags in place:

Plenty of clearance! And I think I can set it up so the whole thing only needs a couple of zip ties to be held in place. The front is already pretty solid; I need to come up with a good setup for the back. What you see is just a piece of thin plastic I cut out to test the concept.

So help me out; what am I overlooking? Great idea, or should I hard delete this thread?

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Hide,

It'll work just fine. Load it with some books after you've done everything you can think of, and modify it more if you have to. Wind is the only thing that might present a challenge. Takes some bungee cords just in case.

Sure wish I was headed to Moab and could link up. Any chance you'll be riding weekends?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
HiDesert, There looks to be a small tab at the bottom inside of the bag. Perhaps you can install one of those brass dough nut looking things used in leather working to make a place for a tie wrap.

Brad

·
Premium Member
17,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What looks like a tab hanging down on the inside side of the bag is a foam pad, the better to absorb paint-polishing grit. :D

But now that you mention it, maybe I could put a donut in the strap you can see hanging down, and use that to zip tie the bag to the brace.

Cat, we leave NM on Saturday, the 8th, and spend that night in Ouray. On Sunday, we head from Ouray to Moab on a route that would make an Oklahoman weep with joy. Both side of the black canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Mesa, route 141 south of Grand Junction... :drool: I'm sure the Blackbird could get you to Ouray before we get there...

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Hide,

Yummy ride! I'll see if I can weasel out of being a dedicated father/husband before I commit to Moab.

Dagnabit, I gots to get retired so I can run away more often!

·
Registered
828 Posts
i have a great hard bag set up that bolts right up to the bike.
i have an extra set that i made when i sold a few to a few members here.
i am sure that they could be used in conjunction with soft saddlebags.
heck, paypal me the shipping fees and ill send ya my own personal stainless steel set with GIVI hardbags, to try out. hardbags are the only way to go...waterproof and lockable. the set served me well on my 11,000 mile trip 2 years ago.

·
Registered
828 Posts
dano,

I checked out your blog. Great pics! Wonderful reports!
thank you sir, it was a great trip, in fact......later in the year, i have 2 Speed Triple owners from Australia coming to these shores and we are taking a shortened version of that trip. they were regulars here but have moved to another site. Leggy or Legman....and Bucket. Heck, we might even be graced with Limey's presence. he is another S3 owner. we are doing a 18 day round trip haul to Cheapbastards TS3 East Coast Speed Triple Rally in Sept.

that is going to be one helluva ride...

·
Premium Member
17,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heck, paypal me the shipping fees and ill send ya my own personal stainless steel set with GIVI hardbags, to try out. hardbags are the only way to go...waterproof and lockable. the set served me well on my 11,000 mile trip 2 years ago.
Oh, sure, try it; the first one's free! :D

I'm having too much fun tinkering right now; I may call you in a couple of months, though...

·
Premium Member
17,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark I

... the last wan't even Mark 0, but what the heck.

You can't quite see it in this picture, but I filed grooves in the cross brace so the zip ties lay below the surface, and can't slip back and forth. The cross brace is cut down to a pin, which passes all the way through the piece that parallels the muffler. That whole end is packed with JB weld. Seems pretty solid. Here's the front end:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use throw overs with a high pipe. What I do is put a large sports bag (typically filled with my tent and sleeping roll) longitudinally along the pillion seat, and then throw over my sports panniers, in this way they are lifted up by a good 20-25 cms, which is enough to be clear of the exhaust. Not as clever as your solution but hey it works!

·
Premium Member
17,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cut that out!

... must ...not ...ask questions. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts