Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've had my Bonnie for about 7 months now and I feel like I am starting to outgrow the bike. I've put about 7500 miles on it :eek:

I really like the ergonomics, asthetics, and overall feel of the Daytona, but I'm looking about $215/mo for insurance coverage, compared to $104/mo for the Striple. Same coverages, and same as my bonnie. Needless to say, mind is made up on the St3.

If anyone has moved to this bike from a Bonnie, Sportster, Warrior, etc. can you tell me your initial experiences moving to this more powerful bike. I'm interested to know how the transition will go for me.

thanks in advance for your kind replies.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Well, I moved up to a Striple R from my '04 Thruxton, and have to say how pleased I am with the choice.

My Thrux was custom and had been modified to the retro styling and performance improvements that suited me. So I wasn't sure how I'd feel about going to the street fighter style, and the power aspects of the Striple.

The differences are night an day, the Thrux has a low power to weight ratio in comparison to the Striple. Clearly the Thrux like your Bonnie, although updated, has the same basic handling characteristics of a 60-70s era bike.

The Striples handles almost as if through mind control, you don't have to manhandle it (can you tell how much I like this bike yet?...;)...). A Striple has about 40ish HP on a Bonnie with much less weight, but the Striple doesn't abuse its power, unless YOU want it to. The power is containable, its lightweight and flickable, and put its front paw in the air easy enough...again...if you want it to..:D

If you want to keep it tame, it doesn't seem to have a problem with that either. There are plenty of 600s out there that aren't happy doing anything but the equivalent of being ridden it like a MotoGP bike.

I think you'd be happy with the Striple (either R or Non-R). IMO for what its worth, I don't have even the slightest feeling that I will be outgrowing the bike....ever (and my other bike is R1200GS).

As for the insurance, I don't know your particulars, but I'd shop around a bit, looks like you're getting hosed on your rates. But one thing is, that you can play on the insurance companies ignorance here, the Daytona they (at least mine) considers a sport bike, but the St3 they consider a Standard. If they only knew....muahahahaha :biglaugh:

That's my experience to date anyway, good luck with your decision.

Cheers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had my Bonnie T100 for 14 months and 14000 kms (8700 mi) when I sat on the Streety and it screamed 'ride me!'

The bonnie is a great bike, sweet ride, excellent in town and on the hwy. Corners well, runs all day, smooth and silky.

The ST3 is a RUSH! Touchy throttle, hot sound, begging for speed and twisties! Can't stop grinning :D.

Like apples and oranges really. Not sure about a long trip yet but from the posts on the forum, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I still have my Bonnie, but if she doesn't get a ride in a year, I'll probably let her go.

Oh yea, my insurance is cheaper, but that's because the engine size is smaller! That's how they do it here!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I always kind of wonder what people mean when they say they "outgrow" a bike. Unless they started out on a really tiny one, I suspect that generally only means they feel they want more acceleration available to them.

The Bonneville is a full-size, entirely competent bike that will go faster than it is legal to do anywhere in the United States. It may take a little longer to get there, and not go as far over legal and sensible speeds as some others, but I've never regarded it as something I could "outgrow." We've been through many good experiences together--some of which I would not have attempted with the little Street--and so I still have it in addition to my Tiger and Street Triple. (And sometimes my faithful old Rocket III, whenever my neighbor, who is its current owner, is feeling generous.)

At any rate, still owning and riding both, I think I can answer your question fairly well. If you don't regard the Street Triple as an "upgrade," but remember that it is actually a different bike in its own right, I don't think you will have any problem adapting to it.

At least there are fewer differences between a Bonneville and a Street, for instance, than there would be between a Sportster and the Street. Comparisons of the Bonneville to the St3 are at least apples-to-oranges; whereas, comparing a Sportster to a Street Triple would be more like watermelon-to-oranges.

You have enough miles on the clock to have started developing a reasonable awareness of the hazards that await you out there. If you give yourself time to get accustomed to the new capabilities before you try to use them all (and that's partly what the break-in interval is for) then you should adapt just fine!

Though the seat heights aren't radically different, the riding posture is slightly different. You won't have to keep shifting position on the seat as much as you do on the Bonneville in order to stay comfortable, but you will probably have to learn to grip the bike with your knees and thighs rather than bearing weight on your shoulders and wrists. Attention to chain maintenance and throttle cable play are more important on the Street than the Bonneville if you want nice, smooth, controllable acceleration. There's a difference in steering lock that some find bothersome in parking maneuvers, though you can still do tighter circles and figure eights in a small space; go figure.

On the open road, the Street is a lot like the lighter, nimbler Bonnevilles of 30 and 40 years ago! It brought back a lot of that first thrill of biking to me, and it will probably be a similar revelation to you. Enjoy!

[EDIT: Hah! Too bad I'm such a pathetically slow typist. I started typing when there were no replies, and now I'm the fourth one. :D But it should be pretty clear from the responses so far that we think you'll be pleased with the transition.]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first half of your reply had a sort of soap boxy, holier than thou tone that I would like to reply to.

I feel I have outgrown my current bike in one particular way; it is becoming less and less fun to ride by the day. When I become bored, my mind tends to wander, and when my mind wanders on a motorcycle, I start to feel unsafe. Mind wander is not my ultimate decision maker, because it is something that I can control no matter what machine I am controlling.

Also, I am 24 and purchased the Bonnie as a learner bike. I've been around Triumphs for ever, and enjoy the feeling of independence you get while riding one, and the feeling that none of the kids on their squid bikes want anything to do with you. I like that. That said, I am ready to step up to a bike that has more power, better looks (in my opinion) and will let me take advantage of my young body before I get old and have to go back to a Bonnie for comfort reasons.

I also find it interesting that of all the striples I have sat on (read: not ridden) that the one which feels best to me has clip on handlebars which were added by the dealer.

hrmph, oh well.

Thanks for the useful information Diego and RRR.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Thanks for your explanation. My question may have been soap boxy, but I hardly think it was "holier than thou." I really wanted to understand where you are coming from.

We're all different in many ways. Personally, I can never get bored on any bike. Two wheels is just too much fun--and inherently too dangerous--for my mind to ever wander while riding. And I never seem to tire of a beautiful machine, no matter how long it's in my stable. YMMV.

...and will let me take advantage of my young body before I get old and have to go back to a Bonnie for comfort reasons.
I assure you, when that time comes, the Bonnie is not the one you will turn to for comfort, 'cause that's not its strong suit and is definitely not why I kept mine! :D I predict something more on the order of the Tiger, or a touring-adapted cruiser like the Rocket III Touring, will start to appeal to you in that hopefully-long-distant future...something that still has plenty of power and great handling, but a much better seat and gentler ride.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I always wonder why anyone asks questions like the OP ?

The stats are obvious, it's lighter, more powerful and has super sports handling.

Just go on gut feeling. If you like it buy it, it's a motorbike. Most modern bikes can be bimbled around at a sedate pace without a care in the world, then just as easily rip your head off if you get brave with the throttle.

There is no 'ultimate' bike, buy it and if you find it doesn't suit you, or you just fancy a change, get rid and buy something else. I suspect thats what most of us do.

Remember a motorbike is not for life, it's only until the next shiny thing comes out............ooohhhh look a shiny thing has just appeared in the latest issue of.....:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always wonder why anyone asks questions like the OP ?

The stats are obvious, it's lighter, more powerful and has super sports handling.
because I am gathering opinions and information to make an informed purchase. Do you ask questions before you buy a home or a car? It is kind of a curiosity thing as well, as I want to know what others experiences were/are.

Why the hard time?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own an St3 and I love (and have ridden several) Bonnies, so let me see if I can add anything worthwhile to the convo.

The fact of the matter is, going to an St3 from a Bonnie is not really an upgrade so much as a change of style. The Bonnie is a generally laid-back, more easy-going riding experience, great for back-road laziness and sightseeing and commuting. They're a fantastically unsophisticated bike and I always enjoy throwing a leg over one because, frankly, they remind me why I started riding streetbikes in the first place.

The St3 is a pitbull; a two-wheeled back-alley brawler that's short of a mastiff (say, a Speed Triple) on power, but smaller and a bit more graceful as well. Aggressive, stable, very well-mannered in the twisty bits and packing a great punch from about 4k on up. They're awesome bikes, even though pundits have a tendency to rail on about the "inadequate" suspension and brakes. They're good, really, though I did replace my rear shock... the brakes, however, are very fine for street purposes.

I love both bikes... in fact, I had my St3 for sale for a while thinking I'd snag one of the few EFI Bonnies Blacks that were still the old body style... but that fell through as nobody was buying at the time. I'm just fickle is what it boils down to, and I'll trade around as the inspiration strikes me... it certainly wasn't because the St3 failed me in ANY way.

Peace

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts