Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use "Techron" fuel system cleaner in my 1993 Honda Civic...I add a bottle every oil change...to clean out carbon...etc...

Would it hurt to add a bit to the bikes fuel...now and then?

If this is a stupid question feel free to throw rocks and garbage...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I agree that if you use chevron gas you are cleaning the system. Adding it when you change the oil in your car is also a good idea. however, add it only BEFORE you change the oil and run the entire tank before you change the oil. You don't want any to get past the rings and get into your new oil.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Techron is great for FI, otherwise don't bother.

If you really NEED to use it because someone said so, fill up with Chevron every 5th fill-up and Bob's your uncle.

I dont know if I agree with "not bothering" and Neil is your uncle...;)

I use the concentrate bottle and not the Chevron fuel...I live in the mid-west and the fuel I get is sold at one station...I go there because they have 100% gas...with no ethanol...I use this fuel in my car and my bike...

Ive used Techron in my fuel injected Civic for years...Ive used it because one of my best techs and one of the only techs Ive even let look at my vehicle said it was good stuff...

I have a carburated Thruxton and the very first thing listed in the benefits section from Techrons site is "Cleans carburators"...

What I was really hoping for was...if anyone knew if there would be any ill effects if I used it in the motorcycles engine...or advise on another fuel system additive for carburated bikes...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
We sell it at my shop and add it to the parts list for every tune-up and sell it in our snack shop.
Also, I put some into my bike and the only thing I noticed was the fuel tap was a helluvalot easier to turn and it hasn't gotten sticky since then.

I should mention I work at a 76 gas station (Conoco-Phillips).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Again, won't do diddley squat for carbies.

I'll amend my statement from:

If you really NEED to use it because someone said so, fill up with Chevron every 5th fill-up and Bob's your uncle.

To:

If you really NEED to use it because someone said so, put Techron in any time you want to. It'll make YOU feel good. :p

IMHO, Techron is the best thing since sliced bread for FI systems. Chevron had the leg up for a while but the other fuel producers have a similar product in their fuel now. A thought, many of the "cheapo" stations are selling one of the major brands of fuel or the other but can not advertise the additives due to trademark concerns. Up here in the SF bay area there are a couple of refineries, Tosco & Tesoro, and the branded tankers pull in and out of them all day long.

BTW, alcohol, whether ethanol or methanol is great in gasoline because it's hygroscopic. Plus, you can get more HP and have the engine run cooler on 100% alcohol, however your MPG goes WAY down. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts