Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll take tires for 300, Alex...

When the Scrambler got fuel injection, Triumph went from specifying tire pressures for solo and pillion (30/34 and 30/41 respectively) to specifying one set of pressures for both (30/41). Does anybody know why?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'll take tires for 300, Alex...

When the Scrambler got fuel injection, Triumph went from specifying tire pressures for solo and pillion (30/34 and 30/41 respectively) to specifying one set of pressures for both (30/41). Does anybody know why?

It must have been tyre choice as they were fitted with dual sports, first the awful Trail wings then some other. I pulled mine off fitted Conti Trail Attacks @ 33/42 and never had a problem, handleing improved substantially.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 13 came on Trail Wings too. I smell some kind of BS liability thing... I've been messing with tire pressures using a pyrometer since I switched to Tourances, and it's clear that 34 psi for me, riding solo, is close to correct (and that's on twisty roads). At 41, the tire was never getting enough heat in it. I can't imagine a knobbier tire would need more.

I just wondered if there was a technical explanation of some kind. I'd rather learn by reading than by crashing ;)

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
For those without pyrometer, a 3 PSI rise, cold to hot is mostly ideal.

FWIW, on a T-100. 33.5 /38.5 works with my 175# plus gear weight and brisk riding style.

PS. My 2009 manual and sticker on the steering head are both 33/38. That 41 PSI must be there for two-up, legal liability as suggested above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts