Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a tec steering damper on the scrambler.

Only ridden it for about 30 miles, seems to stabilize the bike. Feels more solid, not sluggish or anything like that. Still trying to figure out what adjustments settings I should use.

I saw some mixed reviews on steering dampeners so I started with a fork brace. I have an early 2006 scrambler and apparently a different fork manufacturer was used at that time and the Forks are slightly smaller ... So the fork brace was a hair too big.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just curious, are you sure about the different size fork lowers in earlier scramblers? My tec fork brace fits my '06 scrambler perfectly. Not sure how late in the year mine was produced compared to yours.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See response from TEC

Tec USA sent this note to corp

Regarding the Scrambler fork braces I thought that they fitted properly on early Scramblers like the customer's '06, and were only maybe a bit loose on later bikes. We have sold them previously for Scramblers without issue... Why would it not fit this guy's bike?

And was told:

You are correct on the scrambler braces except the odd early bike also has .5mm smaller fork bottom tops, this can only be down to Triumph using a second line supplier who is now the main supplier of forks as the part numbers have not changed

Tec in the UK are working on a resolution to make the brace fit on all Scramblers, by using a very thin high-density neoprene strip on the inside of the brace, which compresses in fitment to ensure a tight fit. However this seems to be some weeks away. I can only suggest that we issue you a refund at this time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting, and particularly bad news for '06 scrambler owners who are considering buying a fork brace. One would assume the fork size issue affecting tec braces would equally apply to all brands of fork braces.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will say the guy at TEC was very helpful. I was disappointed to have to return the brace.

Unfortunately, the black paint on my forks got chipped due to the slight rocking motion of the brace.

It's not a show bike, but I'm not too happy about that! Maybe I'll rebut the brace down the road once they get that issue fixed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TC

When you have time send some pics of your scrambler. Always looking for ideas. My bike was recently involved in a minor accident and I've got some cash to upgrade/fix a few parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll try to get a pic when I get time (and assistance). Mine is the red version, I bought it used and it came with TORS, centerstand, air injection removed, and a tach. The only things that I've bolted on are the fork brace and a Thruxton gel seat with the red cowl (no stripe).

I recently bought a set of Ricor Intiminators but haven't installed them. Other parts accumulated but not played with include a tec 2 into 1 exhaust, another set of stock scrambler pipes/mufflers, and shorter T100 shocks.

Eventually, I'd like to paint the side panels and fork ears red, and the headlight bucket white. If I paint the fork ears and headlight, then I'd have to remove the black coating from the front lower fork legs and return them to a brushed aluminum look.

I like the looks of it with the stock pipes sans mufflers, so I may wind up just getting some inserts for the stock pipes and remove the mufflers. It's on the loud side if you just remove the mufflers, but seemed to have a lot more low end torque based on a short ride down the road and back.

Also plan on cutting the airbox and installing filter pods down the road.

But, it doesn't look bad as is.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TS, I like the mods. Some similar things to your bike ...

I also bought the bike used but was able to track down the original owner and learn a little bit more about some of the modifications. He did the exhaust (dominator touring) and air box from TPUSA. He recommended a guy who works there, Carlos very highly. I thought about switching back to a scrambler style exhaust and I have some of the original parts, but as I understand it the carburetor has been re jetted. As it there is Plenty of power for me.

Has a Corbin seat, Hagon nitro shocks, progressive front springs, skid plate, crg mirrors, pingel petcock, light cover, fly screen, seat bolts and mirror bolts. I just bought one of those magnetic oil plugs. I was changing the oil last weekend an was horrified by the black gritty oil. I saved the old oil and want to do an experiment with the magnet and old oil/ oil filter to see what was in there.

I plan on replacing the chain and sprocket, I haven't decided whether or not to stick with the stock gearing or change it up a little bit to give me more top-end ... Plus one in the front sprocket. I'll probably end up adding some lights to it as well, I do a fair amount of night riding on winding roads.

Other than that, cosmetically I may replace a few of the cheaper parts and want to powder coat this winter to repair some pitting on the lower engine covers. Trying to pace myself and keep my Wife from figuring out how much money I am spending on the bike.

I love the scrambler style and plan on keeping it a long time.

Look forward to your pics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Leo, your bike sounds like it's set up pretty nicely as is.

TX, that headlight is definitely unique, very old school. However, I suspect from looking at the Lossa Engineering stubbies that they are too thick in diameter to easily mount on scrambler exhausts.

One of my requirements for a replacement set of mufflers is that they must be mounted so that they remain parallel to one another. Scramblers only have about 1 1/4 inches of space between the top and bottom exhaust pipes. With the scrambler pipes being about 1 3/8 inches in diameter, that means that in order to mount them in parallel, the new mufflers would have to be less than 2 5/8 inches in diameter at their thickest measurement.

I like the Emgo 12 inch shorty muffler. Not sure of it's diameter, but even if it's within the limits, there is another obstacle in mounting generic mufflers. They would require a short curved adapter pipe so that they don't angle out and point away from the bike. The inlet pipe on the scrambler mufflers have the proper curve built in.

The second picture from the post below shows one method of obtaining the proper curve, but I'd rather use a solid section of curved pipe:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/150870-cheapo-scrambler-exhaust-no-pics.html

The mufflers aren't the first thing I'll do when I get around to working on the bike, so I've got some time to think about them and do more research.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Leo, thanks. I'm almost done then I will post the glamour shots.

The headlight is from benjies cafe racers. I am going to paint it black as I think it looks to big in white.

I'm also going with a different bracket so if you get the bucket ill sell you my bracket if you want.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
52 Posts
Leo,

Lower bars would look better on my bike, especially it with having the thruxton seat/cowl. It's something I may look into it down the road.

Pipes...If I can find something appealing utilizing the stock scrambler headers at a reasonable (cheap) price, that is likely the way I'll go. While I have a set of tec two into one pipes in the garage, the tecs (and a lot of other header pipes) are missing the classic style your headers have. Whereas your header pipes exit straight out for a nice distance then make a graceful swoop backwards, the tecs and many others sort of cascade downwards from the head in waterfall fashion. I'm not convinced they compliment the otherwise classic lines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts