Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I have now 800 kms on my new cam and have just changed the oil.
The bike now has character right through the rev range.
I went for a ride on a stretch of motorway and the acceleration was continuous and rapid right up to 170 kph.
This has to be the best modification available for this bike.
I now have a nimble and reactive classic bike that is in its element here in the Alps.
Thanks Tec for the Cam.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
three weeks to stock :)
I didn't see that on the site. Is it? I was all set to do it but spent the money on a new dirt bike. Ready to go again. I'm doing more open country roads lately so the higher rev range power will be handy

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
I didn't see that on the site. Is it? I was all set to do it but spent the money on a new dirt bike. Ready to go again. I'm doing more open country roads lately so the higher rev range power will be handy

just happened to speak to them yesterday, not on the site. I could tell you a long story about why I was speaking to them, but it is a story to be told in person over a beer or three, not morning crumpets on the internet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
just happened to speak to them yesterday, not on the site. I could tell you a long story about why I was speaking to them, but it is a story to be told in person over a beer or three, not morning crumpets on the internet.
Tease!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll email him again. Last time was confusing as my PayPal is a different email and I was left wondering why he didn't send me the details for purchase. My mistake

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tease!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll email him again. Last time was confusing as my PayPal is a different email and I was left wondering why he didn't send me the details for purchase. My mistake

interested in one new? i totalled my bike just before installing it.

rock & roll baby

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Big thanks to cosmetic for a good deal for both of us on the cam.
Bad news a shim cam off after taking the rocker arms if to re shim it a second time. Nowhere to be found. It's probably gone in.
Awesome

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Update. Bloody close!!!
What happened was it stuck to the rocker possibly from oil. Just enough to lift it.
I've pulled dozens of 2 strokes down and this was a reminder why I hate 4 strokes.
Rookie error. Next time a clearance spacer will go in between to hold it in place.
Fwiw all my intake clearances are below spec at .03 and exhaust are fine on cylinder 1 but large on 2. I'm on 12k km.
We breathe, we go again.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I know I remember. But yours was at least on the floor. When you can't see it on the floor it becomes a bigger worry.
My son "just get a book like that" (pointing to his tc85 book). Tc85 vs 900 bonnie.? Different animal, too much work.
Having trouble getting the intakes right so im sure it's coming off again. @cosmetik what have you done to me mate haha.
He sent the parts super quick even tracked it for me to tell me I'd missed delivery. I feel better helping him out than buying from the store. Shipping bumped the price up as fed ex are a rip off but it didn't go over the cost of a shop delivered one.
Someone drive down to Mexico and buy him a cerveza or 3 from me.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Oh ok. How did you see it? I had to take the cam out again to see it. Probably the same one. Intake cylinder 2 closest to centre. Coz it's on the side stand it was a real worry. This better be worth it. Haha

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
There’s a picture of the missing shim at post #17. Mine was the side stand too and I was sure it had dropped in, most likely down the cam chain space. I’d been all around the head with a magnet and screw driver and missed it. My mate got a strong torch and a small flat screw driver and probed around in the oil puddled in the corners. I was lying in the foetal position on the floor and can’t recall exactly which crevice he found it in. I didn’t take the cam out but was about to do that next.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
@Davey gravey I’m a bit confused. Didn’t @Cosmetic have a Raisch cam? Unless I’ve missed something, these won’t fit the Street Scrambler - or has it been decided that they in fact fit all engines?
He had one and swapped it for the tec. She fits like a glove. Shims and alt gasket required.
Probably the most challenging job was that side cover. Man it's got force. Took a while and my fingers hurt

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
He had one and swapped it for the tec. She fits like a glove. Shims and alt gasket required.
Probably the most challenging job was that side cover. Man it's got force. Took a while and my fingers hurt

I thought he must have done that but couldn’t find it mentioned.

That side cover really grabs doesn’t it? I put mine back on very carefully, making sure the rubber grommet was properly seated etc and had no oil leaks - until I’d ridden about 20km. Then it p1ssed out. Cover back off and I found I’d left a tiny piece of the old gasket behind, no more than a couple of mm wide but enough to leave a gap.

You’ll be surprised how easily it fires up and how smooth it runs straight up. Look forward to hearing what you think.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Just need 1 shim below 230. That sets me at the min .05mm should I be looking for .08 ya reckon? The exhaust are all at 1-1.3 the intakes are all .05 except 1 is under that. The gaps were all large on exhaust and almost non on the intake. Done a swapsie to get where I'm at

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Should be fine. I always feel wider is better (they only ever close up) but as long as you’re in spec. I had some pretty close to min too and also did a swapsie. That was at 5,000km. Put a black cam cover on the other day, at 8,000km, and they hadn’t changed. Once the valves have seated after that first few thousand they tend not to do much.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts