Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone fitted the 19 tooth front drove sprocket ? , the reviews suggest extra mpg as a result though no one said how much and i wondered how much is the gain if so , are we talking tiny improvements as in 2 more MPG or is it more than that?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
Cannot give you MPG improvement as my bike came with the 18T that the previous owner put on and I went to the 19T right away to get lower RPM's at higher speeds. It is a great improvement if you want to cruise over buzz down the road.
I do get 52 -54 MPG regularly with the 19T.
Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't worry about fuel economy, the improvement in rideability (to me) is substantial. There is more than enough torque to compensate. Some people like it, some don't, just have to try.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'v not used a 19 tooth sprocket on my T100 but did go up from a 130- 80/ 17 to a 130- 90/ 17 rear tire, about one inch taller. Like changing sprockets the taller tire did reduce cruising RPM's at 60 MPH by about 300. No fuel mileage improvement and a small loss of snap. I get from 39 to 41 mpg . I have a Thruxton with stock tires and gearing and less opened up breathing. It feels as quick or quicker as the higher geared T100 and gets 40 to 43 mpg. If you want more relaxed cruising RPM's go for it. If you want more performance leave it alone. IMO.

·
Registered
518 Posts
anyone fitted the 19 tooth front drove sprocket ? , the reviews suggest extra mpg as a result though no one said how much and i wondered how much is the gain if so , are we talking tiny improvements as in 2 more MPG or is it more than that?

TIA
OK it seems you have a 2015 bike so the first thing you need to do is check the chain pitch, you may well find that it's 520 instead of the earlier 525 (Mine is 520). When I looked nobody in the UK made a 19T in 520, but you can still do it as there is a rear sprocket made for a Suzuki model by Renthal which is sold in one single tooth changes, both up and down. It is also very light and a straight swap. I tried 2 less teeth which is almost one extra up at the front.

Your speedo will show nearly true speed with this change and not slightly under anymore. The recorded miles will read slightly under true as this change does increase mpg but the recorded mileage is lower so it looks like no change.

I didn't like this change at all, and went straight back to the stock set-up, although I did fit one of the super Renthal rear sprockets they're great..........

In fact one day I may try it the other way around one up at the back....... Now that sounds like fun to me ;)

·
Vendor
2,362 Posts
I always like a 17T sprocket for around town and country road/lane riding and an 18T for long runs. I found a 19T not responsive enough in the mid range and too long for normal riding.

The gearbox sprocket is relatively easy to change and not that expensive, so experiment and see what suits you.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I see that TEC now do a 520 front 19 tooth sprocket so you can forget/ignore some of my post above........

·
Registered
386 Posts
The larger sprockets move the smooth to vibey speed higher up the dial.
If it feels like you are forever changing gears, move to a larger front sprocket
If you want better mpg, switch to 5-40 engine oil. Was worth about 2mpg for me and the cold to hot idle speed change is less pronounced

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 19T is a as close to 6th gear as you are going to get. A great cheap and easy mod that changes the bike very much for the better.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Like others have said, it 'improves' the ride, making it more relaxed at cruising speed, and probably ? improving mpg ?? Difficult to measure (but possible) as sprocket not only lowers revs, but also adjusts the speedo reading downwards. ie at 70 mph , the bigger sprocket makes the speedo read accurately (almost!). The maths gets too complex for me, as not comparing like for like before and after the change ......

·
Registered
125 Posts
mick 85 unless you have the speedo driven from the front wheel

Jon

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have open cocktail pipes, open-air filters and remapped fuel, plenty of power but annoying in 1st gear, and looking for another gear on the highway. Personally, changed the rideability of the bike from ok to great. As others have said, give it a try, easy to do and if you don;t like it you can return to previous sprocket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts