Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Somethin just don't seem right here! Like there is something mechanically holding the pan away? Warped pan? Bolts bottoming out or threads poorly cut? I would not expect to see that much leakage with NO gasket (except maybe on a Harley). I don't remember if the inner surface of the pan is flat, but if it is, a piece of thick glass or a polished stone countertop and some 400 grit paper will quickly tell you if it's warped AND will leave a good sealing surface.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Somethin just don't seem right here! Like there is something mechanically holding the pan away? Warped pan? Bolts bottoming out or threads poorly cut? I would not expect to see that much leakage with NO gasket (except maybe on a Harley). I don't remember if the inner surface of the pan is flat, but if it is, a piece of thick glass or a polished stone countertop and some 400 grit paper will quickly tell you if it's warped AND will leave a good sealing surface.
took off the pan and it appears the crappy paper gasket folded a bit upon install. Chalk it up to installer error. Even so, I took the pan off my parts bike and cut a new gasket out of the aforementioned gasket material. Everything is back on the bike and oil tight at the moment.

I've been following this thread and I would suggest you change the subject to "TBS Winters Project..." ?
:| to be fair, I did run the bike for most of last summer. 3k mostly trouble free and glorious miles before grenading the engine.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
I don't see no engine... Is that one of them e-lec-tric bikes?

Judging from the growl through those factory cf pipes, it's in there and those cosworth fellas did it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Still at it with the build, slowly chipping away at the wiring. With the help of WSC, I got the rear half of the bike buttoned up and am slowly moving forward.

Current state of the bike.

Trying to get this done in the next 4 weeks for the DGR with enough time for a proper shake down. Gonna be tight

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Been plugging away on the wiring and have it about 90% done. All that's left is to run the motone switch wiring and wire in the horns and front signals. Picking up a set of woodcraft clip ons tomorrow to allow me to run the wiring through the clip ons (hollow vs the zx6r clip ons I have now).

Tonight I finished up the rest of the front end wiring which was a big PITA due to the need to have every component individually removable while also being able to hide most of the wiring. There is precious little room in the headlight bucket due to the Thruxton R headlight and heatsink for the stock led running lights, so all the plugs for the gauges and front end lighting and switches had to be hidden under the tank.

End result is I have powah!

Next up, paint. Just 10 days to go...

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
You are kicking some serious ass. Nice job on everything. I bet DGR would even postpone a bit to see this bike when finished. Top notch work mate.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Been plugging away on the wiring and have it about 90% done. All that's left is to run the motone switch wiring and wire in the horns and front signals. Picking up a set of woodcraft clip ons tomorrow to allow me to run the wiring through the clip ons (hollow vs the zx6r clip ons I have now).

Tonight I finished up the rest of the front end wiring which was a big PITA due to the need to have every component individually removable while also being able to hide most of the wiring. There is precious little room in the headlight bucket due to the Thruxton R headlight and heatsink for the stock led running lights, so all the plugs for the gauges and front end lighting and switches had to be hidden under the tank.

End result is I have powah!

Next up, paint. Just 10 days to go...

You're in better shape than me. 10 days to go and I still haven't even started with my tank.

Zee
2000 triumph thunderbird sport
2015 bmw f700gs

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
You're in better shape than me. 10 days to go and I still haven't even started with my tank.

Zee
2015 bmw f700gs

Ha! I have to prep and paint this entire bike in basecoat/clearcoat. Also, the forecast is looking dismal. High humidity through next week.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Ha! I have to prep and paint this entire bike in basecoat/clearcoat. Also, the forecast is looking dismal. High humidity through next week.

Forecast improved, so I took a little time away from figuring out my electrical issue to build a paint booth and start laying the final coat of primer. Will then sand with 400 w/D before laying the color.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Forecast improved, so I took a little time away from figuring out my electrical issue to build a paint booth and start laying the final coat of primer. Will then sand with 400 w/D before laying the color.

Crap. You just had to build an entire paint booth to make me jealous. Right?
We'll get your suit dry cleaned mate. I'll see you Sunday. Copper is all laid down. Couldn't manage the tank so I'm guessing the badges will have to suffice.

Zee
2015 bmw f700gs

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Crap. You just had to build an entire paint booth to make me jealous. Right?
We'll get your suit dry cleaned mate. I'll see you Sunday. Copper is all laid down. Couldn't manage the tank so I'm guessing the badges will have to suffice.

Zee
2015 bmw f700gs
Let me know if you want a proper 2k clear on any of those gorgeous leafed parts. I can spray em while doing my stuff.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Holy crap that would be a life saver. I was paranoid about ruining the whole thing with the clear coat. I'll take you on that offer for sure mate

Zee
2015 bmw f700gs

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
What I thought was going to be a nice easy lead up to the DGR turned out to be nothing of the sort. First plagued with carb leaks and then charging issues, which after swapping out the alternator (which caused an oil leak) for no good reason since it turned out to be a blown fuse. Anyhow, aside from a small alternator oil leak it ran killer. Tons of power, decent low end torque but really shines above 4K. Very similar power delivery characteristics to the super iii but amplified. The fcr's really wake this motor up. Above 3k it is just power on demand. Was babying it somewhat, but still easily pulled on my buddy's sport classic.

Anyhow... on to the pics

201 - 220 of 228 Posts