Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there done any padding/upholstery upgrades to the OEM solo seats. I did a few extra miles the other day and really felt it. I am thinking seriously of adding this to my ever growing list of winter time projects. Photos???????

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Have you considered just giving the job to a local auto reupholsterer? Should be outright trivial for him and he'd have different types and densities of foam.

·
Registered
980 Posts
to increase comfort you need to increase the thickness of the foam. As soon as you increase the thickness you totally change the profile of the seat and ruin it's looks.
The king and queen seat is the most comfortable, but it is also the ugliest seat available.
It's simply a question of style or comfort I'm afraid!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had the stock seat in my '99 Legend re-upholstered about 8 years ago, but i didn't have the guy specifically put any more foam or different foam under it.

The stock seat (and original "triumph" MC cover) got burned by a tossed cigarette butt from an apartment balcony. Luckily (i guess..) it only burned the cover and seat. The guy even kept the original embossed "triumph" section off the back of the old cover and integrated it into the new cover, which doesn't look all that perfect though. The new cover is made of slicker, more durable seeming leather-look vinyl. Darker and more slick than stock material. Since i started riding it to work this year, the passenger grab strap finally got stretched out enough to stay on its little ridge.

All in all, it looks nicer and seems to be a bit firmer, but i wish i could go back and ask him to cram 1/2" of memory foam on the top.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've had it done. Mainly to get rid of the faded yellow piping on it which I've never liked but took the opportunity to have the thickness increased slightly and denser foam.

As well as being more comfortable for the backside the increased height reduces the knee angle if you are tall like me. Very comfortable now.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Upgraded Solo

I bought this 'upgraded' solo off of ebay some years back. It was apparently done by Rick Mayer and is a very high quality job (real leather/high density foam). Although I hardly ever use it, it's pretty comfy. Obviously the look has changed quite a bit as compared to the stock solo.

BTW, I also might consider trading for a stock solo seat/pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
I bought this 'upgraded' solo off of ebay some years back. It was apparently done by Rick Mayer and is a very high quality job (real leather/high density foam). Although I hardly ever use it, it's pretty comfy. Obviously the look has changed quite a bit as compared to the stock solo.

BTW, I also might consider trading for a stock solo seat/pan.

Just a bit! :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
I take it all back, the king and queen seat isn't the ugliest of them all, Vintage60 has the ugliest seat, by quite a margin!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts