Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
99 TBS. I suspect that someone in the history of ownership decided to drill out the baffles and in the process hooped the threads for the bolt that attaches the muffler to the mounting bracket.

The burnt out looking joke in the image contains no threads at all and the ones behind the bolt are spun, so it's not going anywhere.

Short of cutting this thing in half, I don't see a way inside. I assume that it's been held on just fine by the clamp for several years, but I'm a "fix it right" kind of guy.

Am I looking at a new muffler here, or can someone crafter than I am provide some insight?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine did something similar. Unfortunately, I can't weld, so all I did was replaced them with aftermarket.

You may find a set of factory pipes somewhere, but they will always have the same weakness due to the type of nut Triumph used.

Of course, it's hard to find the right size muffler in aftermarket, so I had to rig up an adapter to go from European header size to American mufflers. It ain't perfect, but it works.

Ideally, you'd find a welder Willing to cut/weld what you have with better bolting arrangements.

I guess none of this helps much... I hope you find a better solution than I found.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my Forest thought was to have someone cut out around the hole and weld a nut in there.

I can run a welder, but wouldn't trust myself with that job, especially something chromed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine did exactly the same, i think its just age, i cut out a roughly 21/2" x 1" hole around the bolts, got a small piece of stainless steel and welded 2 nuts on then tig welded it into the hole, took about 20 mins altogether, if you know someone who can tig its a simple job, or if not then take it to a small fab shop, it wont cost a lot, if you were closer i would do it for you for free,

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had same problem and had good luck with nutsert product ( or rivnut depending on who patented it). I think it might even be available at harbor freight. Its been 2 years and have taken out the bolts a couple of times already.

Here is a link on youtube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had same problem and had good luck with nutsert product. I think it might even be available at harbor freight. Its been 2 years and have taken out the bolts a couple of times already.

Here is a link on youtube
https://youtu.be/xezuE2GK-Os

I'll give that a shot. Might as well if I'm going to have to have that chunk cut out and welded anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
That hole is too big for a nut-sert. Looks like someone already drilled it out.

No need for a big patch; the bracket covers the area. Just weld a nut in the hole (both if the other one is buggered, or tack that one in place), and be done with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The hole on my exhaust had not been drilled out and I was able to find a thread that matched the size of the old bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts