Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...tell me if I'm missing something here ..I got great handlebars to install on my '98 TBS...perhaps 1 1/2 inches higher and 1" back..1" wider,very minor change..but Perfect for my old back...
I take everything off...refit, drill stuby holes..everything...then the %$%* cables are too short..I mean NO slack. I figured aw heck I can yank 2 or 3" of cable slack to fit this minor change..........WRONG...without buying new cables any suggestions? Stock '98 TBS handlebars on now; with stock 4" risers.
P.S. I read thru some old posts and saw nothing about clutch and brake cable changes related to handlebar mod
Thnx, Jeff

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thaw,

My first TBS was a '99, I fitted Renthal road bars without any trouble. I also fitted shorter risers, but only by an inch. Inside the headlamp shell there is usually more spaghetti than you need which can be unclipped and taped up to give more length. Maybe if you pull the tank off and route the throttle cable the rhs of the frame you might gain enough slack on it too. I also removed the little locating lugs on the master cylinders to re-align the hoses and gain more hydraulic length, but you might not want to do that. I put Speed Triple bars and risers on my 2000 TBS and had no trouble either:

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
My guess is that you may need the cables and brake/clutch lines from a standard Thunderbird or similar.

What Johny said about the wiring in the headlight should be a valid point.

[ This message was edited by: Wombat on 2006-11-09 18:32 ]

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm with JohnyC. There is extra electrical cabling in the headlamp housing. If the brake line is too short you'll have to get a longer one. I put GenMar risers on my '98TBS (3/4" up and 1 1/2" back) and had to fish out the extra electrical, but the brake line was okay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses guys.....This helps!!! Great Pic JhonnyC my '98TBS is same as yours..red n black!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
How tall are your risers? Mine has short ones (~1" -- the low kit?). It had low superbike aftermarket bars, and I will be going out in an hour or so to mount the higher bend (superbike or something like it).

I have ~1 1/2 spacers on the risers already. My big planis to out on some HD Duece stock risers (Storz sells shims for the 1":7/8" conversion, very cheap). Anyhow, Duece risers with a drag bar (the near broomstick model). That will let me slide the hydraulics into the place I want them for the arm spread I like, as well as may give me some slack for the cabling (wiggle room). Just a thought. The stock Triumph risers use a bolt from under the handlebar. I found the length I wanted and ground the flats to fit (I think the stock bolts have a 'pattern' dimension to them, never have gotten the full story on 'pattern', but it has something to do with a standard for tight spaces verus some other industry standard). Then used fender washers until I got the rise I wanted. Not as strong as it could be, but it's the handle bars that bent. And bars are $20 versus risers (even used).

That might help you make something fit (compromises). The throttle cables can be made to fit, and I'll bet you if you look around at cable companies and compare the ends you have you may find somethng else that will fit (especially look at other Triumph's,as I would think they have the same cable ends) in an already available size. Cehck out chopper shops and dirt bike shops, as well as street racer shops (Storz?).

Now I have to find a way to adapt the 1/2"-13 threads of the HD risers to the Triumph top tree hole (just shy of 3/8"). Thinking I can drill it out to 5/8", tap it, lock-tite a bolt in there, cut the head off and drill/tap it to the appropriate metric diameter; bolting it from the bottom instead. WInter is almost here (time and cold wise). May as well make the best out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts