Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:frown2:Hi I very stupidly managed to crack pilot mix screw thread hole on my tbird sport.Cant seem to find new or used carb anywhere here in Scotland (or anywhere else).Triumph dont supply them anymore and ebay etc keeps coming up blank,they seem to be rarer than hens teeth!.Any one out there got any bright ideas yours hamfistedly Alastair

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
That's a disaster! How did it break though, are you able to bodge it up with epoxy or something?

If you can post a good pic of the damage maybe I could suggest something.

Reactions: Engbear

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Probably a good idea to try patching it. I mean, if it works, you're home free. Alternatives? Maybe find a 36mm CVK carb from an inline 4, like from a Kawi or Suzuki. I think it would be worth trying the patch job first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Ill try to post a photo of the damage when I work out how to do it thanks anyway.Can certainly join part together with epoxy but how to rethread it and to what depth as this would alter settings.the needle on the other two intact carbs seems at 2.5 turns out pretty flush to chamber wall,did think about cataloying screw so needle matches them,inexact and impossible to adjust if wrong ,hard to match settings exactly also

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
The problem is that those threads are extremely fine, I don't think you'll be able to find the correct tap sadly. I was hoping it was just one piece broken out of the "wall" and that it could easily be glued back into place without having to mess with the threads.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Telephone every shop within a thousand miles. It's out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not sure about that the broken one sticks out through hole by say quarter inch now if roughly reassemled and held in place ? Thats the needle tip sticks out of bottom of hole

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Not sure about that the broken one sticks out through hole by say quarter inch now if roughly reassemled and held in place ? Thats the needle tip sticks out of bottom of hole
Hmm... How far does one of the good ones stick out? Is the hole damaged?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not at all seem to be about flush.But!! there may be hope on the horizon! As a final resort broke off all parts of screw stub from carb body and cataloyed round greased pilot screw 24 hrs later seem to have functioning thread,have just cataloyed stub back to carb so heres hoping mate!Have to wait for another pilt scew ,for carb as ones head is bust,the glory of brass scews eh!,but will replace carb on bike at weekend and then will see.Would be brilliant if works as weather great which its no often in sunny Scotland .Thanks for advice wiil advise on success or otherwise .Alastair

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Sunday replaced carbs on bike ,started no problem but still wouldnt run over 50 mph ,so removed pod filters ( which was where all the trouble started )and replaced air box bikes fine magic! But does any one have any experience of pod filters on tsb?bike would never go over 50 with them ,bit better with choke on ,did replace all manifolds so wasnt leak there.Anyway thanks to all who messaged on this.

·
Registered
671 Posts
was it rejetted for the K&N's ? doesnt sound like it was if you swapped the airbox back on and it ran fine.. lots of threads on here ref keihins and pods.. mine runs great with them on, revs cleanly all the way through the rev range although MPG has dropped :)

edit: just checked my notes and mine has 42 pilots 145 mains and thruxton needles...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts