Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should one lube the chain? align the chain?
replace chain and sprocket? I know alot depends on the riding conditions.

What lube works for you?

I have tried finding Tbird owners manual online, but to no avail.
TIA
Ride safe

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I picked up a Scottoiler off ebay after using a cheap 'squeeze bottle before you ride' type. I have no doubt at all that a continuous dripping of oil onto the rear sprocket is the best method. The x-ring seals & rollers always look nicely wet. The Scottoiler just makes things automatic - opens the tap when it senses vacuum at the stock carb gauge connector. I find Scottoilers stock oil a little thin & fling prone, so I've gone back to using the (120 grade I think) chainsaw oil I used before with the 'squeeze' setup.

I'm adjusting about every 2,000 miles, but it depends on how much driveline lash you can tolerate so your mileage may vary :).

With this regime I expect I will change the front sprocket when I replace the chain - 6 or 7 tousand miles so far & very little wear on an Izumi x-ring HD type from Sprint Manfufacturing (A++ supplier imo). The front sprocket being smaller it will likely wear quicker than the rear. I'll examine the rear nearer the time & decide then.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I am coming up to 22,000 miles on my current chain & sprox. The Scottoiler seems to make a big difference. I have only made one slight adjustment to the (X ring) chain in that time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
l have been using a cheap Loobman rig for over a year on my daily scoot, a TransAlp,. l thought it looked cheap and nasty but gave it a trial and l am amazed that it works ok. lts advantage aside from dirt cheap is that you can use old oil and secondly due to atmospheric pressure its pumps itself. Yes it can leave oil drops on the floor but an old bit of carpit cures that. You can use a hose clamp to regulate the supply and at least you have a clean chain without the sticky mess from spray cans.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
l have been using a cheap Loobman rig for over a year on my daily scoot, a TransAlp,. l thought it looked cheap and nasty but gave it a trial and l am amazed that it works ok. lts advantage aside from dirt cheap is that you can use old oil and secondly due to atmospheric pressure its pumps itself. Yes it can leave oil drops on the floor but an old bit of carpit cures that. You can use a hose clamp to regulate the supply and at least you have a clean chain without the sticky mess from spray cans.
+1 on the Loobman, that was the one I used before I got the s/hand scottoiler. It works well, lubes both sides of the sprocket - I retained their nozzle set up & just attatched it to the Scottoiler. The entire Loobman kit is about the same price as a Scottoiler 'double sided' accessory.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
How often should one lube the chain? align the chain? replace chain and sprocket? I know alot depends on the riding conditions. What lube works for you?
Keep the chain looking shiny wet.

Adjust the chain when the shifting gets clunky or difficult, but be careful not to overtighten as that kills a chain pretty quickly.

I used to use a Hawke Oiler (with 20W-50 engine oil) but the extra mass under the license plate broke the tail light mounting bracket under the fender.

Now I use some generic chain lube and a paint brush. I just paint a foot or so of chain with lube at every tank of gas and that's that.

Chain life is variable. I got 20-25 K miles on the factory chain, but 3 months of riding in 100F weather completely ate it. Those kinds of temps really kill the chain's internal lubrication.

The only certain thing about sprocket life is that the front sprocket wears about 2-1/2 times faster than the rear sprocket.

Jim

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I've been using Dupont Teflon wax. I think I read about it on here.

It stays on the chain a long time, repels dirt, and doesn't turn the wheel black.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I've been using Dupont Teflon wax. I think I read about it on here.

It stays on the chain a long time, repels dirt, and doesn't turn the wheel black.
I'm with you Al - not a proponent of an oiler system. Modern 0 and X ring chains don't need it. They just need to be kept clean, and occasional lube of the rubber rings.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm new to motorbikes; but I have a few motorcycling buddies. I'm very glad that I was saved from them seeing me appling an auto wax to my chain. THANKS

·
Registered
411 Posts
Going back to my Loobman , the idea was not to just lube the chain as in ideal conditions the orings and xrings keep the lub in forevr. But does it?. l would like to see a chain after 20,000 miles with no added lub, cut open and have a look at it. My reason for lubing is
1. to stop the chain rusting after all the salt in winter and after a heavy rain storm , which added to a hot chain is the ideal climate for rust.
2. any tar chips, gravel , mud and sand thrown on to the chain as you ride will be thrown off the wet chain by centrifugal force.
3. it may also have a slight cooling effect as the oil evaporates.
Then again the oil thrown off certainly adds some anti rust to the surrounding metal works but thats just a bonus. my old '68 T100 leaked so much oil that the back end is still rust free!!!!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Dupont Teflon Wax

Just wanted to mention that my local Lowes in Queensbury NY carries this. I just bought a can tonight. $4.98 for 11 ounces. Having read all of the reviews I can find, it sounds like a great product, and not so messy to use.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Just wanted to mention that my local Lowes in Queensbury NY carries this. I just bought a can tonight. $4.98 for 11 ounces. Having read all of the reviews I can find, it sounds like a great product, and not so messy to use.
And it smells good as well!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
And it smells good as well!

Great, now we are going to have a bunch of stoned T-Bird riders out there huffing chain lube.... :rolleyes:

I lube mine every 500 miles. Since it is dry, stuff doesn't stick to it.

I have looked at my x ring chain's innards after 20k. I had to grind off the lugs and remove a section when installing a new chain. The lube was still there.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
should the chain be cleaned with solvent etc prior to lubing?
Absolutely. I have used kerosene for this, also some commercial chain cleaner products available at MC shops. In a pinch, some folks use WD-40, but some say it can dry out the rubber rings and cause them to break down more quickly...

Also, apply wax while the chain is warm for best penetration, and it is best to apply wax to the inside of the chain, just to the front of the rear sprocket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts