Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my bike yesterday and took my hands off the bars for just a sec while adjusting my helmet and noticed that the bike pulls to the right. Is this common? Or is it something to worry about? Does anyone know what could be causing it? Any help or suggestions would sure be appreciated.
Thanks guys!
David

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
First thing i would check is the rear wheel alignment. I assume you adjust your chain regularly, so ut may have happened during chain adjustments. Some say you can't even trust the swingarm mrks when doing that, so even if they aren't off by much or at all, you may wanna check the alignment by measuring the center of the right and left side axl centers to some common part of the frame or some such thing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What Daz said. Make sure everything is aligned and tires are properly inflated. Give a tug on front and rear that there is no obvious play and that steering is smooth as you move bars lock to lock.

Go for a ride on a good stretch of pavement and do some light counter steering and braking maneuvers to make sure she is not giving any sign of poor/weird handling feedback to you.

Then check for neutral tracking. If you haven't done anything (always check what you worked on last) or hit a pot hole etc., it could have been a bit of wind or your posture when adjusting the helmet. You can loosen pinch bolts and center wheel if necessary.

Raising your arms to your head amplifies bad mojo to your center of gravity. Use one hand or stop and adjust gear would be my humble suggestion. Other than stunt riders, LOOK MA, NO HANDS, really doesn't have any place on the street. Again, just mho.

Good luck.
BobW

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
if the road has a crown, it'll pull you one way or the other.
people still do it, but taking your hands off is dangerous. you can argue this or that, but you are safer with both hands on the bars
i rest my case
G :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with all of you about the hands. I am a VERY conservative driver on the bike, been riding since I was 16 (49 now) and never had an accident. Both hands on the wheel is my policy also. This was a fluke and I am glad because I was able to notice this. I will check all these things out that you guys mentioned. Thanks a million....I truly do appreciate it.
David

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dasco - how'd you upload the pic of your bike to this site?
Would love to put mine on here.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
182 Posts
Next time you sit on your bike look down and you will notice that the engine is not centered on the bike. Guess which way it is off center. Go back into the archives and you should find a write up on using the string method for checking alignment. It is simple to do, and works very well. Vegas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts