Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BRG-BIRD:
Mikuni carbs yes. The carburetors have been completely overhauled and balanced 3 years ago (according to the trustworthy previous owner), so I'm not too eager to start taking them apart just yet. And when the bike runs well it really does run well, despite the fact that the duckbill filter has been more or less stuffed with crud. I did remove the bottom screw in the float bowls and flushed the carburetors and there was no signs of junk in the gasoline that came out. I think that the ducbill filter has done it's job.

Andy Eaton
l'm still in the process of relining the tank. That would have been my next question actually. I started with the Caswell restoration kit one month ago and here's how the process went through:
So I wasn't able to get the old liner off. Still the Caswell customer service suggests to apply the new liner on top of the old one, even though it's flaking off. I'm quite skeptical about this so I haven't done anything to the tank yet. What do you recommend, can I leave the tank as it is? If I just try to keep the tank more or less full most of the time, that would prevent it from rusting?

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
If the sealer is flaking off then putting the new sealer over it will not help and may make things worse. I don't know what they're called in your part of the world, but we have these things called "dry wall screws" or "bugle head screws" that we use to fasten gypsum wall board to wooden or steel studs. they are very pointy and thin. Get some short ones, 1 inch (25mm) or so. Count how many you put in the tank. If you can get a tumbler to roll the tank around do that, otherwise just start shaking it and rolling it around until you get all the loose stuff off. (Then count how many you take back out).

If the remover they gave you is not Acetone, try Acetone. It will definitely remove the paint, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did throw 40 of those screws into the tank with the Caswells "Tank seal remover". I also gave it good and longs shakes every once in a while. Still the result was very poor (see the photos behind the link in my previous post). I'd guess that in order to get all of the old liner out of the tank I would need to rotate the tank in a cement mixer for one week... I don't know what chemical the Caswell product is, but I also did a test with acetone. I put one flake of the liner into a glass bottle with acetone and let it be overnight, but the flake was just floating there the next day. It hadn't dissolved one bit.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts