Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the tool bag tip. Maybe I’ll swap it for my nicer metric one if it fits in roughly the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Yes, the TBS is 535lbs dry , the Speed Twin , 432lbs. TBS 82 HP @ 8500rpm, Speed Twin 96 @ 6500rpm. So, I'm starting to see why someone would consider it. TBS 885cc, Twin 1200cc.

Unfortunately, the upgrade would likely be around 8 grand if I sold my TBS for 4K. I'd need another 8 to cover the Twin.

For some, I can see the appeal.

Then there's the look.....which do you see as prettier? or so pretty that it justifies spending the $$$$.

And I get it, Some folks have the luxury of owning latest and possibly better, but I've always felt I'd rather have the nicest Car, Bike, Guitar, made 10+ years ago for 20%-40% of the original cost.than spend full boat for something that will lose thousands of dollars in value the minute I plunk down the $$$.
Not sure where those specs came from, but the TBS and the standard T-Bird
were both listed as 485 pounds dry. I have one, purchased new, and it's a
very light handling bike. I agree with the original assessment, old technology,
but very capable. I would take on a new Speed Twin anyday with my "old
fashioned" T-Bird.......

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Has anybody that owns a TBS rode the new Speed Twin? Can you provide any comments? I’ve sat on one at the dealer, and It was tiny compared to the TBS, the frame is much more compact and tank is much lower, and felt much smaller than my TBS.( I felt like Mary Poppins on it like i do on my friends lowered Bonnie) Here in NJ they do not permit test rides on new bikes. I too, will have to search for a demo day.

Thoughts from anybody thats experienced it would be great.....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Has anybody that owns a TBS rode the new Speed Twin? Can you provide any comments? I’ve sat on one at the dealer, and It was tiny compared to the TBS, the frame is much more compact and tank is much lower, and felt much smaller than my TBS.( I felt like Mary Poppins on it like i do on my friends lowered Bonnie) Here in NJ they do not permit test rides on new bikes. I too, will have to search for a demo day.

Thoughts from anybody thats experienced it would be great.....

Triumph of Westchester will let you do a test ride. Just sound like you’re in the market to buy a Triumph this week and they will let you ride it. I need to plan a test ride on the ST soon as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just ran my new Speed Twin home from the dealers yesterday. I was going to sell my TBS but I knew the minute it went out the drive I would regret it.
The Speed Twin is different in many ways but not unlike the TBS in some. Obviously the newer bike has better suspension,better brakes,some tech that might help you stay upright . The worst thing on the Speed Twin is prob the fueling at low speed which requires delicate inputs or slipping the clutch. On the other hand stick it in sport mode find some good roads and it handles well and pulls like a train. Riding position is similar to my TBS as I’ve lower risers on the bars making them similar. Twin is smaller, lighter,faster,and think it’s as close as you’re going to get as a replacement for the TBS. Plenty other options in the Triumph range but I didn’t want any less power than the TBS.
I rode the Twin about 200 miles yesterday and found the seat pretty firm but maybe it’ll soften up and I don’t have much cushioning on my derrière. Both bikes you get plenty wind blast but I might try a small screen which does help on TBS.
They are both great bikes and only time will tell whether the Speed Twin is as good as my TBS has been.

Sean.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
B-, How do you think your speed twin compares to the speed TRIPLE? Much slower? I understand, sports bike vs standard. My focus is on engine performance. Does the speed twin provide arm pulling power off the line? Or is it just a little quicker Bonnie?

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
True but only auld fellas have the time to be cleaning the freckling things.:grin2:
I think I qualify!

Speed Twin is for the discerning gentleman who likes a spirited ride . The Speed Trip is for hooligans.
Hmmm, I think I qualify here, too. Took my younger daughter for a ride on the Low Rider yesterday to see my older daughter's softball tournament. It was my xx birthday. I think my hooligan days are mostly over.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think I qualify!

Hmmm, I think I qualify here, too. Took my younger daughter for a ride on the Low Rider yesterday to see my older daughter's softball tournament. It was my xx birthday. I think my hooligan days are mostly over.
I sold this just before getting the Speed Twin so there’s a little hooligan left in me. The financial strain of the continuous yoga classes in order to keep me flexible enough to stay on it for longer than an hour we’re just too much.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts