Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellow T3 lovers,

I know that the Thunderbird mill is essentially the same as the T3 sprint but I thought I would ask the question anyway: will a TB three into one fit up to a Sprint? I reckon the headers would be ok, maybe just some modification would be required to the collector and muffler bracket etc.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers,

Roden

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Off the top of my head: no, won't work, it is the headers. Why, I don't recall. Where I read it, I don't recall. But it is stuck in my head as surely as knowing that T509 headers will work.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Off the top of my head: no, won't work, it is the headers. Why, I don't recall. Where I read it, I don't recall. But it is stuck in my head as surely as knowing that T509 headers will work.
Cheers,-Kit
Yep, I have a 509 Speed Triple header in my garage that I've trial fitted and it is a good fit. I just need to finish the project.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Cheers,
-Kit
Is it the shape of the ports? Thats why the 885i headers fit and the later 955i headers don't, the ports are different.
I thought the Thunderbird had the same head except for cams and cosmetic appearance.

I'm glad I asked the question before jumping in and buying....

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
167 Posts
If your going for a 3 into 1 system then try and go for the largest bore pipe you can as it`ll let it breath better.

As the T509 headers will fit then why not have a hunt for some of them and then get a nice free flowing link and tail pipe to suit. As long as the header pipes fit ok then the rest of the exhaust can be bent to suit provided you don`t go too wild.

Cheers, Matt :cool:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been looking for 509 headers for the past year, and along with the T3 systems, are as rare as rocking horse poo.

A TB system has presented itself, hence the question.

I can live with modifying the link pipe etc as long as the headers fit up nice.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have been looking for 509 headers for the past year, and along with the T3 systems, are as rare as rocking horse poo.
Hum, i wonder how much it would be to send said rocking horse poo to the otherside of the world as i`ve a full 3 into 1 micron system lurking in the back of my lockup!! I always wondered what that strange wooden poo smell was. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt - I'll keep that in mind but the shipping might be prohibitive plus rocking horse poo might not get through customs. I'm waiting on the seller to come back to me on the brand of his system, looks like a Staintune which would be nice.

Jack - Thats good news, I thought they would fit and I don't mind modifying the rest, thanks for the heads up. Incidentally, what can did you run and how was performance?

Wolf - I know your system would be beautiful, probably a bit more than I'm willing to spend at the moment but I know where you are!

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Roden,
I was just using the stock Trident system. I was a California bike so I didn't even touch the Carbs or anything. It ran perfect actually but it was no race bike.

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts