Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with 4000Ks plus on the machine, I have to say that she is one hell of a nice bike to ride (2006 Sprint) That beautiful engine is running in just fine, and even though it
takes 2 seconds longer to start then the 2007, she warms up quick and fulls into a smooth idle, the clutch works well, the brakes seem adequate, and that engine just pulls and
pulls hard, not hostile or brutal, you just dial it on, and she goes.......
The only problem I seem to have is when I slow down to stop at lights for example, or just to come to a stop,
as I go down through the gears she will go from 2nd to 1st
and miss Neutral and when I try kick her up to Neutral she will go to 2nd and then to 1st again, and after slipping the clutch and tapping up and down a few times she will find Neutral. I find this a pain in the arse....has anybody had this problem or can the clutch be adjusted so she will find Neutral
the way she should.

Regards gsbeamer :( :evil: :???:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi gs,

I have an '07 with just over 4000kms, the only time i have trouble with neutral is in city traffic when she gets a bit warm.

When I come to a stop, I change into 2nd gear, as I have found that selecting neutral is easier from 2nd, so might be worth a try!

When on the open road and then stopping, i have no issues at all finding neutral.

Cheers,

Grae. :-D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I Initially found the neutral to be a bit sensitive on my Triumph. Best results were obtained with a light touch, a stiff boot, and when on the road to catch neutral just before the bike came to a complete stop.

A stiff boot helps because a soft one acts like a spring and by the time you have enough pressure to activate the shifter the spring action tends to force it right past neutral.

The bike is just being a little slow training you :razz:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Most of the times when I get to traffic lights I shift to second, then shift to first keeping the clutch in and then it's easier for me to get to neutral.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I had that problem a few months ago.

I also noticed there was a bit more clutch lever freeplay than originally - so a couple of turns of the clutch cable screw adjustment and it was as good as new.

The clutch cable must have stretched a bit and the clutch was no longer fully disengaging with the lever pulled in.

I can easily slip it in to neutral from either 1st or 2nd when stopped.

Grant :cool:

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Agree - clutch adjustment can cause this, so can too much oil in the Bike. My Dealer overfilled at the first service by about a pint and messed up the neutral. Check the oil with the engine off at least 10 minutes, with the bike on a level surface. Unscrew dipstick, wipe, SCREW FULLY IN, unscrew again and check the level.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That you Sean?

Mate no trouble with my 07 at all and it seems unlikely that it would be clutch adjustment. Maybe Graysons should look at it.

By the way, I was thinking of trying to organise a Mid North Coast day ride, similar to the sort of day the guys had recently on the Putty Road.

Do you think we'd get many starters?

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts