Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone or does anyone know if the tank can be stripped?

I've been doing my engine covers and I really love the look of polished metal, not mirror chrome, just that uneven buffed out metal. Can the tank be stripped and polished out? what does the tank look like without paint? would it rust? I'm curious if anyone has done it.

cheers

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
After I narrowed my tank and rolled the bottom,I sanded it down to the bare steel,wiped it off with a clean rag and hit it with a few coats of rattle can clear top coat.[Duplicolor] no rust evident even after 6 months of pure crap weather.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got all the goodwood green off my Bonnie with an orbital sander. It took a few hours because I used a fine grit to avoid scratches but I thought it looked awesome bare metal. I thought of leaving it and spraying it with clear coat like rodburner did but I had also sanded my fender and cowl in prep for painting. In hindsight I should have and avoided the giant headache of dealing with the ***hole at the paintshop.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Didn't rust in Tacoma?

After I narrowed my tank and rolled the bottom,I sanded it down to the bare steel,wiped it off with a clean rag and hit it with a few coats of rattle can clear top coat.[Duplicolor] no rust evident even after 6 months of pure crap weather.
If your tank didn't rust after a Duplicator finish in Tacoma (where they have their fair share of 'crap weather') - I am encouraged I can get by without spending hundreds of dollars having mine painted too.

I'm very interested in how you fabricated your seat (it's awesome!) are there any detailed pics of it?

Thanks, Jon D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts