Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully shrank their fuel tank back to the original size? I have the plate off the side, the fuel sending unit out, fuel cap open, with the plate opening setting on a heat duct in a spare bedroom for weeks now. No change at all.

Just curious if it is actually possible.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
A few weeks is not enough time. The tank on my T595 Daytona is supposed to hold 4.75gal. It now holds 5 gal. I made the mistake once of taking the tank off for 6 months full with fuel. Difficult to get back on.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The last time I heard about that (I think it was our missed Kit) he just mentioned emptying the tank, opening the cap and living it alone for a week. he didn't mention heating it.
BTW heating things may produce expansion as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Seen it here in Australia. Didn't take long either but left outside over a couple of +30degC days. It was a T595 Daytona tank though (the one with the separate cover at the front). Pretty sure all Triumph nylon tanks were made by the same manufacturer, Acerbis, so the material should be common. I believe we're trying to drive out the H2O the material has absorbed, so a low humidity environment is required. Or could your tank have been in it's expanded state for so long it's lost it's 'elasticity' and is now permanently set? Any materials technologists able to offer their opinion?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that the ethanol causes water to absorb into the plastic of the tank. So my mechanic mind says to dry it out. If I had a vacuum chamber large enough it would had gone in there first. So I do have a furnace.... thought I would try that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The tank on my 02 ST has always been difficult to install however these days it’s nearly impossible, hardware just doesn’t line up any longer. Takes a lot of horsing around to squeeze it in there just as if it has grown over the years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is empty fuel pump plate and sender removed sitting outside in my shed now for almost a month. So far it hasn't shrunk much. I'm gonna give it till the end of March. Hopefully it shrinks by then so I can cost it with Casewell s sealer. It swelled so much the bolts almost wouldn't line up. It's rubbing on frame in front chafing the tank. No ethanol free gas available here

·
Registered
505 Posts
When you say "it hasn't shrunk much" that suggests it has shrunk back a little. Maybe if it's been in an expanded state for a very long time it just wants to stay that way even after driving all the moisture out. Is where you live fairly low humidity and your shed warm and dry?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm located in N.J. The winter is really the only time we get low humidity. Other posters have reported that cold also helps shrink tank so I'm hoping it will shrink sitting inside the unheated shed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Officially gave up on the tank shrinking. Its been empty for 2 months with no shrinkage? Had it my shed for several weeks with temps below 20 degress Fahrenheit with no change in size. Was planning on applying Caswells sealer but not sure its worth it if tank stays expanded. Its still a very tght fit but all my other maintenance is complete at this point. Sunny and 60 degrees her so its time to ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe im overthinking this... Does anyone know of a tank actually failing from ethanol? Mine is now 20 years old prob has had ethanol fuel in it most of its life other than tight fit in frame it still looks good and works as intended.
Waiting for my new plate gasket and im going riding!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I have a '98 T595 Daytona with the original tank, unlined. Still okay. Some of these tanks can develop external blistering but I think that is more about cosmetics than function. However, Ducati had a major recall on their nylon tanks and I don't know if any of those actually developed leaks or not. Same supplier, Acerbis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts