Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get ready for a little rant.
I'm a fence sitter, debating an 09 Bonnie T100.
Love the Bonneville's appeal to nostalgia with modern technology. Hate the seams on the bottom of the tank! I know it's a little more to mfg a seamless tank, but my God, it drives me insane and I don't know if I could deal with it. When I look at a Bonnie, it's the first thing my eye is drawn to.
That being said, has anyone got rid of their seams? If so, what was the remedy?
Thanks for listening to me whine.
James

·
30,623 Posts
If you hate them that much, the best remedy is to buy a different tank. I think Norman Hyde, among others, make them.

To get rid of the seam you would have to cut the whole seam flange off, and re weld and paint the tank. Lots of $$s I expect. Getting a custom tank is likely easier and less expensive.

I suppose you could try dressing the seam with something too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Someone here - or elsewhere - ground it down pretty far before a repaint; don't know if I'd try that. I do not care for it either, so I learned to ignore it!

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I was thinking of getting some of those black car door edge protectors and running them around the seam.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I rather like it myself, I tend to hook my fingers into it while relaxing at long traffic lights, reminds me somewhat of the way the Norton Atlas tank feels - though on that bike the seem blends in with outward appearance as the tank sits ontop and around the frame, but it gives the same general feel.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Just what we did. I used chrome door molding on my B&C and mate used black on his BB. Looks rite on!! Check my pic in album captdon posted by grey goose

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Not surprisingly, this topic has come up before. Many find the seam to intrude...particularly on tanks that are painted in a lighter color. When I changed my color scheme from Goodwood Green/Aztec Gold to Pacific Blue/Silver Sheen I started to obsess on the seam. My solution was to use black door-edge moulding. It really minimizes the objectionable flange and looks good enough to cool my obsessiveness. Photos below...
Before (please ignore the red box around my mixture thumbscrews):

After:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
This is funny! People used to go nuts over the tank seam on the 60's Triumphs and spend a lot of money grinding it down, re-welding and re-painting ---nothing has changed!

Dick

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I'm with you

This is why I got the Black model. It doesn't seem to show the seam as much. But it's there all right and I swear I won't buy another bike that has it. Screams "Price Point". "Cheap".

But then I've also really had it with tube tires, carbs, chain maintenance, crummy analog odometer, poor fuel mileage, short range, hugely wide seats, cleaning spokes, checking oil through a window ..........

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a black bike, so it would be less visible to begin with, but mine has a rubberized cover that runs over the seam the entire length, kind of looks like a weather strip or something...

Anyways, I thought it looked good, like a flare on the tank... who knew it would upset so many. lol.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
James
Yeah, just close your eyes and think happy thoughts!!! :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tank seem problem?

On my Honda Magna and my Bonnie I covered the tank seems with the chrome door edging I bought in a 25' roll from JC Whitney. It "seams" that most people, bikers or otherwise do not realize this is an obvious money saving measure and don't think anything about it. With the chrome, I get only complements. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. The solution is to go custom. There is no substitute for cubic money.

·
Registered
165 Posts
don't grind down the seams

Get ready for a little rant.
I'm a fence sitter, debating an 09 Bonnie T100.
Love the Bonneville's appeal to nostalgia with modern technology. Hate the seams on the bottom of the tank! I know it's a little more to mfg a seamless tank, but my God, it drives me insane and I don't know if I could deal with it. When I look at a Bonnie, it's the first thing my eye is drawn to.
James
Hi after reading some of the comments about the likes and dislikes of the seams on triumph tanks. Please don't try and grind down the seams they are part of the integrity of the tank. I am in the process of trying to enlarge the bonneville fuel tank myself and have just started to cut one quarter of the tank off to see how to proceed further. I hope to get at least 1 1/2 uk gal extra eventually. I am also thinking of removing the seam myself as this will make it easier to rebuild the tank but i will have to weld from the inside where the tank panels are joined. Ive attached some photos of the tank cut open

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi ya...this is a topic already in the archives, but here's a recent picture with the tank edging (black rubber) that I applied to my Thruxton.

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi ya...this is a topic already in the archives, but here's a recent picture with the tank edging (black rubber) that I applied to my Thruxton.
Hey, that last pic didn't show the seam hidden by the black rubber strip very well....here's another coupla pics:

You know..you it's such a subtle thing that you really need to see a before and after pic to appreciate the effect!

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Blight, that looks nice. What did you use and where can I get some?

Also see that you have a 441 Victor, that is a bike I've always wanted to own! How about posting up a picture for me. Thx

Paul

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
In my humble...putting anything over the flange is like saying,"Look at this distasteful flange I'm covering up! It's right here." It's like a cheap toupee. It's time to celebrate the flange. Do you cats really think everybody at bike night is tisk-tisking about the bottom of your gas tank? It's like my wife and her hair. She always says, "Look at the way my hair is flipping in a funny way next to my ears." I always tell her that no one will notice. They are all too busy worring about how they look to pay any attention.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
rmak has nailed this 100%.On the other hand,I have a flanged AND an unflanged tank,so my opinion is moot. [I ride unflanged]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts