Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am about to remove my tank for the first time. Just some question before I start

How does one remove the fule line from the petcock? Any tools needed? Or is is just popping a flexible tube of the petcock? Or does it require moving some clamps. I saw that, after the petcock, is a small cube onto which a flexible tube is attached. Do I have to remove the tube from the small cube (just pulling? Easy to put on afterwards?) or do I have to remove the cube from the petcock? Any pictures/drawings?

And secondly, the gas overflow line. This seems to be a straightforeward 'pull it out' to me. Is that so?

Thanks,

Bert

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hey, Bert,

It's a straight forward job to remove the tank and fuel lines. There's nothing about it that isn't easy, but the fuel line clamp is pretty delicate and it is easy to deform. Just use reasonable care. Even this is no big deal as long as your fuel line is reasonably new and pliable as it will seal with a slightly deformed clamp anyway.

There is no reason to remove the square block from the petcock. Don't touch it as you don't want to disturb the original factory seal if you don't have to.

What you term an overflow line is actually the tank breather line. Just give 'er a tug to remove.

Be sure to turn the fuel off before removing the hose!

It's helpful to have a small container to catch any spilled fuel, as regardless of how careful you are, there will be some.

Good luck!

[ This message was edited by: tsmgguy on 2006-12-02 13:43 ]

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I always close the petcock and run the bike for a minute or 2 to empty some of the fuel in the line before removing it.

It's pretty straightforward, I can take mine on/off in a couple of minutes or less after doing it a few times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll take a closer look tomorrow at the fuel line clamp (using a little mirror and a strong lamp) to investigate on the best way to remove it (push, pull or grip both sides together before pulling).
Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
for the fuel clamp, I can loosen it with my left hand on the petcock side, and pull the hose off with my right hand from under the right side, one arm on each side of the bike.

It hurts my fingers to loosen the clamp, so I'll either wear mechanic's gloves or use a needle nose. Pinch on one side, pull from the other. Just don't let the clamp get lost!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
if you reach in with needle nose pliers, you can sqeeze the clamp closed and slide it back. then just the hose pops off
G

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tips:

First - Make sure your petcock is turned to OFF.

Second - Know where you're going to put the tank when you get it off. I put a couple towels on my workbench.

Easy job:

1 - remove the seat

2 - remove the two rear tank retaining bolts

3 - as discussed above, (I use needle nose pliers) release spring clamp from fuel line where it goes into the petcock.

4 - push/pull fuel line off the petcock

5 - gently lift up on the rear portion of the tank, reach in and gently pull the vent tube from the vent line on the bottom / right side of the tank.

6 - pull the tank up and away toward the back of the bike.

Installation is simply a reversal of the above.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good info from Hogtied... Easy and sleazy.

"Installation is simply a reversal of the above" - Remember routing of the petcock fuel line (and other hoses) is important. I had did some carb work and could not start the bike, worked over the carbs, and found I had ran the fuel line over instead of under (looked right when the tank was 1/2" up). When I re-installed the tank, I pinched off the fuel to the petcock.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
On 2006-12-03 13:38, Hogtied wrote:
Second - Know where you're going to put the tank when you get it off. I put a couple towels on my workbench.
Perhaps the best advice you could get. One feels a bit stupid holding onto a nearly full fuel tank, and wondering where to set it down.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all,

I removed the tank and put it back on without any trouble, thanks to your advice!
One aditional advice of me : make a big tour on your Bonnie before taking of the tank : an empty tanks is easier to handle than a full one. (was already mentioned on another thread, so not really invented by me)

Thanks,

Bert

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Just use needle nose pliers to loosen the clip from the petcock and pull the hose off of the petcock. Same thing with the vent line. The vent line requires the tank bolts to be removed and pull the tank back off the rubber mounts. Take care not to chip the front lip of the fuel tank when reaching under and getting the vent line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts