Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day everyone,

I have just recently had the first service done on my 2006 Speedmaster, which went all good, no worries or concerns mechanically as you would expect.

I did however notice prior to taking it to the shop, and you can only see it in the right light, there looks to be a very light milky type effect in parts of the black strip in my tanks paint job. Now you can tell it is something that I haven't done as you can clearly see it is under the clear coat on the tank.

I bought this to the attention of the dealer and he basically said that he doesn't think there is a lot they can do about it. This in itself annoyed me as if was his bike I'm pretty sure he would have been on the phone to someone at Triumph asking the question, and it seemed to me it was in the too hard basket.

My question to the masses is has anyone else had this issue and can someone point me in the right direction of someone to ask that may actually care.

Your advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I tried to take a photo of it but it didn't come out that well. It is one of those things that the average person would not see, but I'm sure you guys know what I am on about when I say that I know it is there and I would like to ask someone about it.

Demps

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Mine has that too, and in fact pretty much every one i've seen that i've looked for that on has it to one degree or another. It's very fine bubbles in the clear coat. triumph won't do anything for you because for one thing i doubt any tanks DON'T have it. Or at least fewer than do. Those who say they don't have it, tell them to look very closely and in many differnt lighting situations. It's very hard to see except under certain lighting. I didn't even notice it till i'd had mine quite a while and happened to see it in just the right light. Yours may be worse than most if it bothers you that much.

The only cure i can think of would be to bring it to a very good painter and have them sand off the clear coat and recoat it. probably cost a good bit tho. I've come to accept it since it's only noticable in certain light and not obvious the vast majority of the time. Either yours is worse or you are more sensitive to it. But in any case i don't think you can do anything about it other than what i said, and i'm sure thats going to be close to as expensive as a new paint job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dazco, it is good to hear it is not just mine. Like you say I might just be a bit more sensitive to it, I'm sure I will forget about it soon.

Demps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.