Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just hit me as i've been thinking of getting my tank painted. Someone asked the tank liner a while back, but i'm not sure of the answer. What if you were to spend the $600 or more to have this done, then your tank liner began peeling ! If it's warranteed then you're out $600. If not, more like $1200 ! Someone asked about the newer lining they now use, and i think i have that. But i wonder how many have had a problem with it. I haven't noticed any yet. But thinking about this scares me when considering having it painted. And for the job i want it's looking more like a minimum of $800. That could be devistating if the liner starts peeling and is unfixable ! I guess you could deal with the liner chips by removing the petcock every so often and cleaning it out. But what would be the consequence of using a tank thats bare inside? Rust?

·
Registered
781 Posts
We had a tank chrome plated and I want to say they used electroless nickel to protect the inside. I may be wrong but that's something for you to look into.

-brent

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what i figured. I don't recall any of my bike's tanks having liner back in the day. That Kreem or other linders would be good, but it would also require the old liner be removed from what i read. In any case, the fact i can deal with it one way or another gives me peace of mind to go ahead with this if i decide i can afford it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a professional M/C tech, I have Kreemed probably 100 tanks over the years. I've never had a failure, even on one I kept for about fifteen years. If it does peel, it can be removed with MEK. Just follow instructions VERY CAREFULLY. Tank must be clean and etched to work.

P.S.
Did three tanks this past summer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hey brent !!!! did youm chrome a new triumph tank? i have thought of doing my thrux tank. just scared if i dont like it. what to do, what to do... if you did i wanna see pics...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.