Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of used tank pads that no longer have the adhesive or glue that originally held them on. Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions on what to use to stick them back on? I've read that some people have used the 3M doubled sided tape, but I’m pretty sure the 3M tape is kind of thick and will hold the pads out from the tank a little (I'd like them to be flush like stock). I could be wrong, not sure. I also don't want anything too permanent that could potentially harm the paint if I ever removed them in the future.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are now many different thickness double sided tapes for use in the automotive industry but not sure how effective they would be for this application.
What about the other way removing factory tank pads? Heat gun?
What is the risk of damage to paint removing them?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Careful with the Heat gun! Start with a hair dryer first. One slip with the heat gun (leaving it on one spot to long or too close) and you will blister your clear coat.

·
Registered
621 Posts
There is a product available... called adhesive transfer tape or something like that IIRC. You peel the paper backing off one side, stick it where you want it, and then peel the paper off the other side. All that's left is the adhesive film, so it's very thin - hardly noticeable. I believe the stuff that comes on the tank pads is a similar material with one side already stuck on. Not sure where you might find it today, but I used to get it in art supply stores years ago. It was used for producing glueless artwork layouts and such.

Bob

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I used a product called "banner tape" that you can get at a sign shop. It is in rolls so you would have to apply it in strips but it would address all your concerns.

G

·
I happen to work in the sign industry and Normandy is spot on. Banner or 'hem' tape is used to reinforce vinyl banners and is very sticky and very thin. Would work great for the application. You can get a few inches from your local sign shop (I have to put my plug in for Signs By Tomorrow, we have a location in Allentown) and they might not even charge you for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts