Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as things happen, my Scrambler tank that got repainted is getting...repainted. Too many flaws first go round. Found a top painter to shoot it this time.

So. Being obsessive compulsive, I kept playing around with the logos. Being an obsessive compulsive artist means I don't know when to stop.

I am currently drawing up 10+ different designs a day and the pile is growing out of control.

I try to keep it narrowed down to 6 front runners.

Chime in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bottom left.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Top right would look cool on a helmet.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Hmmmm Top right

The two black ones look too much like the other German Triumph company's logo.

The other two look like they should be on a coffee cup.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Top right. It ain't a Triumph logo without an underliney-flourishey-thing.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Top Right.....bottom left a close second.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Top right

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's interesting that most gravitate to the one closest to a stock Triumph logo.

Top right but the flourish should come from the r and not the h.
I am aiming to come up with something decidedly different from stock, otherwise I would just keep the factory badges or some pre-printed decal. That's sort of my beef with the top right one...it comes off as looking like I was trying to do the original, but missed, even though I was purposely straying. That's why I started going further off point.

The bottom left is a nod to the Heuer logo in round about connection to McQueen to which the Scrambler obviously pays homage.

The coffee mug thing is funny! I am a huge coffee fiend, so maybe it's my jittery subconscious seeping out!

·
Registered
97 Posts
May have missed this but what color is your tank?...you might want the badge to complement the color of your bike

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I can understand wanting to be different than the stock. I will say though that companies spend millions to have a feeling, a reputation associated with a logo. It is the logo that captures that essence.

Sorry that is not a knock at what you are trying to do. I say good on you.

I like the idea of the Tag Heuer Style which is a great homage to McQueen.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
The bottom left is a nod to the Heuer logo in round about connection to McQueen to which the Scrambler obviously pays homage.
Dammit. I knew the bottom right one looked familiar. I just couldn't place it! Duh! Yes, the Heuer-like one is better.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Top right followed by bottom left. Looks like we are all hewing close to the original Triumph logo, but it is one of the greatest logos in all motordom.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
TBH I'm not sure I'd ever change the stock logo. Its the bikes identity and has class all of its own. I might play about with it. Give it stencil finish or batter it by taking chunks out of the text but if you change it completely why not just paint "motorcycle" or Honda on the tank?

I know you didn't want to hear that. Sorry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TBH I'm not sure I'd ever change the stock logo. Its the bikes identity and has class all of its own. I might play about with it. Give it stencil finish or batter it by taking chunks out of the text but if you change it completely why not just paint "motorcycle" or Honda on the tank?

I know you didn't want to hear that. Sorry.
On the contrary. I happy to hear that. If I was thin skinned about it, I would not be posting on the internet asking opinions. I do agree that the (older) Triumph logos do incite a strong nostalgia for their history. That said, I think the new version has lost some of that. For me much of feel to the bike is in the shape of the tank, and engine silhouette.

It seems to me that the Triumph twin models are quickly becoming a strong base for some of the new custom houses. They are building them into fresh new visions not unlike the original cafe racers and chopper builders did with the new bikes available in their era. I think there is a lot to be said for taking a new bike and massaging into your own vision of what a motorbike should be. Not to take anything from the guys building vintage bikes to look like the customized bikes of old.

Being an amateur modder (at best) I can't/won't go so far as to chop up the frame, tear into the engine, or build a custom tank...but being a designer, I CAN throw my spin into the logo and aesthetic of the bike. It's the way I can make my personal mark.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike as is. I have been riding it happily/proudly with nothing more than a carb jetting. Stock mirrors and all! But when I decided to install the AM turn signals that have been sitting on my bench for 2 years it sort of opened the flood gate.

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnie A-1. 1968 T120R
1,049 Posts
Paint the tank British Racing Green, slap on a yellow old-school Triumph logo and call it a day.
-Sparky

1 - 20 of 35 Posts