Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one.I am getting a tank painted and it has no insulation/heatproofing in the frame tunnel.Do we thinks its ok to run without it in the not very hot UK?I don't think I have ever come across this before not even on my plastic tank supermotos.
Cheers.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
I once added heat foil insulation to a tank underside. Made no difference that I could tell. I was getting a lot of gas fumes from the tank when hot, but the insulation didn't lessen the fumes. I don't think I've ever owned a bike with a tank that had insulation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could get a scrap of the thin foil-backed insulation that the HVAC guys use and stick it on. That is the stuff that Triumph use.
Jim.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Not needed can't remember any tanks with insulation even the plastic one under the seat with high level exhaust . Across all types of tank plastic, fibre glass , alloy and steel .

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just a quick one.I am getting a tank painted and it has no insulation/heatproofing in the frame tunnel.Do we thinks its ok to run without it in the not very hot UK?I don't think I have ever come across this before not even on my plastic tank supermotos.
Cheers.
My 2002 T100 Centennial tank has insulation, maybe it's a North American spec thing.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
That appears to be the same insulation that is used on the belly pan of my '98 T595 Daytona. On the Daytona, it's used to protect the ABS pan from the exhaust header. On the above tank, maybe to dampen vibrations between the tank and frame. Maybe a cost saving measure in the factory to use what they had on hand.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I made the mistake once of filling the tank on the way home from work, then parking it. The heat from the engine made the fuel expand and it ran out the overflow all over the engine (yhe rubber tube had fallen off). So the insulation didn't help there, perhaps it is for sound dampening?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I wonder if it is really a sound dampening barrier.I think this is a 2003 tank so maybe its only on early bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts