Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of tank bags have y'all used with the 05-07 ST's?

How did you like 'em?

I'm not real crazy about the looks of the Triumph unit since it uses a tank cover... but I can keep an open mind.

Thanks!

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe~

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have one of the smaller Bags Connection/SW Motech bags that attach to a mounting ring on the gas tank cover. I think it as a fantastic idea and shows the lovely tank off as well as keeping it free of scratches. Not cheap - but they are very high quality and come with nice touches.

I also have a Luggage Locker that I do not use anymore - only because I am vain and don't like the mounting ring as much.

Both are very good quality and you can't go wrong.

Take care - BB

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have the triumph tank cover bag.

pros:

its a great bag when its on.
its very well made.
plenty of space and even fits in a full helmet.
it comes wth just a map holder that attches to the tank cover for days you want to leave the tank bag at home.

cons:

the bag comes off fast but the tank cover has to stay on
(looks like sh*t)

unless you want to remove the seat, loosed the side panels to take the tank cover off.

now if you have the side bag mounting bars on your bike this is bigger pain in the ass:
take the front half of the side bag mounting bars off...
to get the side panels off...
to get the tank cover off... to get all of your tank bag off..

option 2 you will have to carefully pry the side panels back to get at the screws that hold the tank cover on.

shitty design strikes again.

:mad:

would I buy it again knowing this....??

f**k no. I would rather wear a back pack full of bricks.

k maybe not but you get my point.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The SW Mototech stuff looks like the best of all options. Seems like if you have both male and female rings then you 'could' attatch pretty much anything with a little craftsmanship. Plus, nothing to mar up the tank!

·
Registered
323 Posts
On 2006-11-28 15:02, BlackBeauty wrote:
I also have a Luggage Locker that I do not use anymore - only because I am vain and don't like the mounting ring as much.
Take care - BB
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mate,
I had a Bagster tank bag on my T595 and I now have a Triumph tank bag on the Sprint. After 9 years of use I removed the bagster from the Daytona. There was not a scratch or mark onthe tank. I hope the same can be said for the Trumpy bag. As for looking ***** you can dress the bag up a bit.

On my Bagster I put a Triumph sticker both sides which lasted 9 yrs. I am going to get the Triumph logo embroidered on to the Sprints tankcover which will make it look a bit better.

The best part with Baster is that you can get it colour matched to your bike.

Anyway thats my two bob's worth.

Cya The Tankman

:upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

[ This message was edited by: Tankman on 2006-11-29 02:31 ]

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm with Tankman - the bagster system is the best ever. The only thing is, I need a small bag as I am only little and don't like to reach around the bag to reach the bars. I found the new Tektra 32lt too big and came bag to close to my body.

The new City Trail 8lt is much better as it sits further forward. I don't want to ever put much in there anyway.

Kev

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I use a Cortech Super Mini. I think its great. It doesn't hide the tank but carries everything I need for a day trip, visor spray and a rag, maps, tire gage camera, phone, spare cables etc. Everything except a rain suit. I have an Eclypse but found most of the time it was mostly empty and just flopping around getting in the way. I use that for longer trips as a tail bag now. If I'm going any distance I put on the panniers. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Bagster Tech'Up. The bag is pretty good, although too big. The mounting and pivot bracket swivels even though the bolt is tightened almost to breaking. I will be ordering the Bags Connection system as soon as I decide which bag. I like the smaller ones (Daypack II looks real nice), just concerned it's too small.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1 on the Cortech Mini. I have my Chatterbox Mounted inside, it holds sunglasses, my Ipod. I have just a cord that comes from the bag to my helmet. I have plenty of room left over for other small misc. stuff. Matching Tail and saddlebags really follows the line of the bike.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also have the cortech mini. It does just what I need it to do on day trips. However I would prefer a little bigger bag such as the 21 liter. I just bought that one for my step sons R-1. If it doesn't suit him then I'll upgrade my bike to it and buy him what he wants.
Bottom line either will do I thinks it's just about how much sh*t you want along for the day!!!

Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have the Cortech Super mini. Actually, it is my second one. I had a magnetic version i used with the VFR. Unfortunately i wasnt able to use the same one with the Sprint. I liked it so much i bought the strapped version. It holds enough for a days ride. Camera, wallet, cell phone, etc. Great small tank bag.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a Marsee 35L on the tank..holds a ton and still lets me lean on it without any hassle...plenty of room to steer and lean..I also stuff my Valentine1 in there and other electrics.

Quite a find..I own 3 different Marsee tank bags...This 35L has a different latching system...so if I want something smaller I gotta change the strapping...not a biggie - just a pain.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And I have my Triumph set for sale. Both size bags. See the classifieds.

Jim T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts