Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Most of the folks on here prefer the SW Motech/Bags Connection tank bags. You can see them at Twistedthrottle.com. There's probably a distributor where you live.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the magnetic Triumph bag for my 08 and it works great. It is "medium sized" and fits just right. I just returned from a 3 night trip to Arkansas and had tons of space for a trip like that. I would guess that bag and the hard bags would be good for a week long trip. I have a larger bag for my Speed triple and something that big just gets in the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might want to check out the Tank Locker (www.luggagelocker.com). It has a unique, flexible, and very secure mounting mechanism. On my '00 ST (and more recently on my '03) it was the only way to go without straps.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I actually use that original Triumph tank bag almost every day. It is large and when unzipped can get really large. I also have the smaller version that zips to the same tank bra.

The larger one holds my laptop with a neoprene sleeve, so that is my normal commuting setup. One potential negative is that you have to remove the seat and seat cowl to install/remove the straps that hold the bra down to the tank. Not a huge problem for me since I leave the bra on the tank virtually always, but if you plan to take it off and put it back on frequently that would be a pain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to check out the Tank Locker (www.luggagelocker.com). It has a unique, flexible, and very secure mounting mechanism. On my '00 ST (and more recently on my '03) it was the only way to go without straps.

Just a thought...

Thanks I did look at these before but here it was getting up to about $300 plus! I can get one like the bag on eBay for about $140. Again it may be worth me looking overseas as I did like the locking concept as it keeps it off the tank. Might follow that up....

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tank bags

I live in South Africa and have a SW Motech tank bag that I use on my Sprint. It is amazing. Big enough for wallets, cell phones sunglasses, summer gloves and a few other items, but it is the fitting mechanism that is so clever. A small ring that bolts onto the tank filler ring which is unobtrusive when the bag is off and works really well with the bag in place. The bag unclips with a simple pull of a string connected to a locating pin and then can be carried around with all your personal and important belongings. With the standard panniers and Givi top box touring is a breeze for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tank bags

Have a look at a SA site. www.bikegear.co.za
If they export to Australia then the cost will be very effective. The exchange rate is around 7 to 1 and I think I paid about R 900 for the locking ring and the bag. $A 130 plus shipping.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I'll have a look. So this one doesnt actually lock to the bike? As in there is no lock on the cord to stop someone taking it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Correct it just clips on to the retaining ring on the tank and when you leave the bike you need to take the bag off and with you. Not sure what you crime level is like where you live but here if it is not nailed down it disappears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts