Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a good magnetic bag large enough to carry stuff for a full-day ride. So, not obtrusively large - just big enough for wallet, phone, glasses, extra shirt, maybe a snack and water bottle, etc. - basic stuff like that. Anyone have any pictures?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Cortech, all the way. It has an emergency strap in case the magnets don't hold, I've never even used it... still has original fold creases in it, magnets are that good. Comes with a rain cover (I call it the tank-bag-condom).... keeps everything in it nice and dry if you get caught out and is small enough that you can fold it up and put it in the flap of the bag, I always forget it is there until I need it.

Fits cell phone, warmer gloves, work phone, iPod, wallet, balled up t-shirt, and other things... I use it on my commute to hold my lunch bag and all the aforementioned things (minus t-shirt)... I've only had to expand it out once, and that's when I had to pickup a jar of tomato sauce at the store on my way home from work once.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Mini-Tank-Bag-p-143_31.html

Pick on bike:

EDIT: don't mind the bag along the backside of the bike... that was a photoshop I did a while back when I was playing with some ideas.

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JDD - do you think the manta can hold as much as hobbs' cortech bag (minus the tomato sauce).

Hobbs - can you see the intrument cluster over the bag?

·
Registered
734 Posts
+1 on the Tourmaster bag. Lots of features and will expand as needed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
JDD - do you think the manta can hold as much as hobbs' cortech bag (minus the tomato sauce).

Hobbs - can you see the intrument cluster over the bag?
lol, tomato sauce....

Yes, I can see the instruments just fine, and the bag doesn't sit in my chest at all either. Even when I expand it, I can still see the cluster, though it is slightly less unobtrusive when expanded. I almost never use it expanded because it has plenty of space normally.

It comes with a shoulder strap (which I also keep in it all the time), the wings on it fold in and magnet to the back, so they don't flap around when you are walking around. the bottom is anti-scuff material so it doesn't scratch your tank.

the only complaint I have is the handle is rubber and it rests on the tank, which leaves some really faint off-color spots on the white stripe on my tank. The girl can't even see them unless I point them out directly. I resolved the problem two ways, first I made an extension to the velcro strap on the back of the bag that holds the handle up from the tank. The second way was to wrap the handle in felt. They both work, no more scuffs.

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts
The bags appear to be pretty similar in size.

Here's a more Friday-appropriate perspective. Still plenty room for a pair of gloves on top.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This caught my eye - I like the way that it tapers, and I like the external compartment. Anyone know if it will fit? What are the dimensions that the flaps cannot exceed? (I'd go measure myself but my bike is at home and I'd like to order one before I leave work!)

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/...er_12_liter_magnetic_motorcycle_tank_bag.html
That's the bag I went to the store to buy. They only had the smaller version at the store and I ended up going with the one I have because it had more room... let me know if you like that.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
There is a small magnetic bag from NewEnough - just enough to hold a wallet, phone, camera, sunnies and perhaps some gloves (maybe). Its good value at $19. It doesn't detract from the look of the bike because its real small

·
Registered
510 Posts
Cortech

I use a small cortech bag that comes with a rain cover. Sits right on the top of my tank with 2 magnets, and has an emergency strap as well (never been a problem, even at 75mph).
Big problem (and maybe the ONLY one I found) is that the handle on one end of the bag, which is rubber-gripped, ended up rubbing the clear coat right off the tank in a few spots before I could even notice. Really kinda pissed about that. So I now roll the handle up when I ride so it doesn't even touch the tank.
Other than that, it's a great bag - perfect size. Not too big for these bikes.

Link to it: http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/...master/mini_magnetic_motorcycle_tank_bag.html

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bought the Nelson Rigg bag, it is comparable in size and configuration to the Cortech bag, which is also a very good bag. The N-R is a little cheaper and has a lifetime warrantee.

I have no trouble seeing everything over it when collapsed (it can be expanded). When on the road I often lay on it as it gets the weight off your hands. It’s great for glasses, extra gloves, camera, what have you, and I can throw the GPS in it when I get off and leave the bike.

I always take it off the tank and set it on the rear cowl when refueling. The first time I ran into one of those fuel nozzles that spits on you, the fuel immediately ran down under the bag soaking the soft no scuff padding. Since it’s easy to just lift it up and then place it back down, I do it every time.

It came with a tether but I quickly stopped using it as the bag never moves, even at 75-80. The tether fluttered in the wind and I was afraid it would eventually scuff the paint. Pictures here,
http://artshobbyprojects.com/saddlebagpage.htm
So far, I’m pleased with it,

Art.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got the Cortech mini 10 litre. Fits great and is the perfect size for what I wanted. Highly recommended if anyone was considering buying it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
make sure you wrap the handle or velcro it up so it doesn't wear your finish.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Is it just my poor garage housekeeping or have others had issues with the magnets picking up small metal shavings & damaging the tank paint? That was my experience on my bmw, so I went with a Marcee brand strap on bag for the thruxton....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mine does not, though I keep it well away from metal shavings and such... I also clean off the bottom of it (and the wings) fairly regularly to make sure nothing is on it....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rubber handle was the first thing I checked after reading other's warnings. The handle does not come into contact with the tank - so, keeping the bottom clean is the only thing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts